GM engineering at its best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced the blower resistor 7 pin plug in my Silverado.

GM really should have recalled these since they all go and its a manufacturing defect, ie they used to small of a pin connector for the voltage.

But what makes it worse is the dealer rapes you for the new plug, a part that should cost $10 is $100. What makes it even worse is they were to lazy to put the proper color wires on the replacement pigtail...they just used white and black.

In hindsight I wish I got lucky and it was one of the bad ones and torched the truck.

Last edited:
Did you get the replacement part at the dealer or somewhere else? A guy came in to my store (Napa) this weekend and bought a blower resistor and plug for his Silverado, maybe that was you?

"
But what makes it worse is the dealer rapes you for the new plug, a part that should cost $10 is $100"

Could you not just get something from Radio Shack or whatever?

I don't know if I would rank it up there with the intake manifold gaskets destroyed by death cool, the transfercase that wears a hole in it, or the sunshell that explodes in the tranny, but it certainly is disappointing. When I got rid of my truck the heater core was leaking. I guess death cool did not agree with it.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I just replaced the blower resistor 7 pin plug in my Silverado.

GM really should have recalled these since they all go and its a manufacturing defect, ie they used to small of a pin connector for the voltage.

But what makes it worse is the dealer rapes you for the new plug, a part that should cost $10 is $100. What makes it even worse is they were to lazy to put the proper color wires on the replacement pigtail...they just used white and black.

In hindsight I wish I got lucky and it was one of the bad ones and torched the truck.

A friend of mine in NY got a recall notice on his 04 GMC about the same thing. I had mine done last year, so be patient and there might be some type of reimbusement coming?

This thread is right on track
grin.gif

91361d1224014980-animated-gif-thread-train.gif

My dad's 1988 Pontiac with the 2.5l Iron Duke would regularly wear out the plastic bushing in the idler pulley arm pivot. Once it was worn, the arm would get crooked and the belt would start rubbing the engine block. I think we replaced it at least twice in that car's life. But could GM sell you the $0.50 replaceable plastic bushing that wore out? Of course not. You had to buy the $150 idler pulley assembly, which was also the front cooling jacket cover for the engine (big mess to replace), and had the power steering pump mounted to it, so it was never a simple job. You know it's a bad design when the dealer didn't have to look up the part number; just say "idler pulley assembly, 2.5 liter four" and they grabbed one out of a stack of 6 that were on the shelf.

Don't get me started on the plastic camshaft gear in that same engine, another great design.

If it makes you feel better, 01-07 Highlander's heat control knob has three wires from it to the control board that break all the time. Not recalled. I fixed it with two inches of speaker wire. Dealer charges 700 for a new hvac control unit.

All cars have problems. Oem parts are always expensive.

Check for a recall or customer service campaign from GM. This is a common problem. You may be able to be reimbursed from GM.

Quote:
Heating systems and their related airflow components have been the subject of service bulletins from several manufacturers recently. Here are some quick examples in case one shows up in your shop. Each MAY be eligible for warranty or goodwill consideration for your customer; you’ll have to check with the dealer.

Chevrolet has noted that the electrical terminals on the relay resistor module may corrode on certain trucks equipped with manual heating and A/C controls. Covered are the ‘03-‘06 Avalanche and Tahoe, the ‘03-‘07 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra and ‘03-‘06 GMCYukon and Yukon XL.

http://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/

That is common on pretty much every GM I thought.
J-bodies suffer the same problem, and I have 2 friends with Sunfires, both have had to replace that part in their HVAC.

This happens on dodge caravans as well. Plus the HVAC ground is the ground for all the gadgets inside.

none of the problems listed seem to be engineering issues; they are problems caused by the accountants and MBA's in charge of stuff.
relay too small? engineering probably spec'd the correct one, but the bean counters spec'd the cheaper one to save a few pennies.
same w/ the plastic idler;
"hey, we can spec the plastic bushing to save money! yay!"
"but howabout when it fails?"
"we sell them a new one- it's a wear item"
"but now we have too many SKU numbers!!!"
"oh, just sell them the whole unit, we already have a number for that"

The only thing the accountants are not able to replace is that doped organized community better known as union workers.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
The only thing the accountants are not able to replace is that doped organized community better known as union workers.
and the overcompensated upper management and CEO. Costs the company much produces little to show the onsumer.

This is lame. GM's wiring systems are among the best in the industry. But design errors happen. It's not just GM--I guarantee you that every model of car on the road has at least one underdesigned electrical connection.

On the subject of replacement connectors, yes the GM "pigtails" are expensive. Count yourself lucky! Honda makes you buy a whole new wiring harness if one connector fails (or you do what the dealer does, and splice one in from a junkyard)!

Secondly, the neat thing about GM electrical connectors is that you can actually buy the housing, terminals, and rubber seals separately, and usually a whole connector assembly is just a few dollars! The catch is that it's not at auto parts stores, but at electronics distributors. You have to find a "Delphi Connection Systems" distributor.

U all should see the problems many of us see in the courier and expediting world where engines and trannys run 20 hours at a time and idle endlessly. Parts are eaten up fast and a 12 month or 12k mile warranty is a joke. If u are just going to the store and the occasional vacation with the family, ur ride should last for at least 5 years before something stupid happens and dont take ur ride to a dealership, its a lost art there.IMHO

Originally Posted By: Y_K

Ford had to deal with the same union, pay, contracts etc...no bailout needed and not nearly as many defects. Only difference? Management. I grew up in a GM family, dad had Buibks, few Caddies, its a shame how greedy they got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back