"Full" Filter, Subaru EJ22, Unknown OCI Unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

This is a "Full" brand oil filter taken off of a '9X Subaru mentioned here. I think it's actually a '99. Anyway, someone asked about these filters here, so I figured I'd snap some pics. If anyone want better shots, let me know. I realize these are kinda lame. General thoughts:

-can is pretty heavy/average, base plate is thick. Threads are plentiful and high quality.

-adbv is silicone, was still working, though it doesn't matter in this application; hangs straight down. It seemed softer than some others?

-end caps solidly glued, media even.

-bypass in the dome. It was a spring type. The spring went overboard into my recycled oil contain--sorry! I think I was a little horrified when draining the filter...

-it had the roundish base gasket which seems common to Subaru. Don't know what the deal is with that?

All in all this looked to be a very well-constructed filter, and I'd totally recommend it. BTW, by my best estimates, the filter OCI is somewhere between 40-60K miles.

2dtdim9.jpg

2a0ib8m.jpg

333idnb.jpg

So, enough about the filter. We probably need to talk about this engine...

Filter condition is very good after 40-60k miles, there is sludge in the oil and some was caught in the filter. If the oil was synthetic and changed at 10k miles and filter was changed at second oil change then it will be much better condition.

wow a 40k filter change?! that's just asking for trouble..

With the looks of that sludge on the filter you will be in need of a lot of short OCI's for a while to clean it out..

Originally Posted By: Brenden
wow a 40k filter change?! that's just asking for trouble..

With the looks of that sludge on the filter you will be in need of a lot of short OCI's for a while to clean it out..

It gets worse...

I should begin though by mentioning that this isn't my car! I linked the thread in which I first mention this rig and its tale of woe. I decided, against my better judgement to help out a friend of mine. Long story short, after topping off the 2 qts of oil in the car, I decided to change his oil for him. I also picked up a PCV valve and an air filter. Oh, in an unrelated note, I had to do a quick alternator and battery install in order to drive it to my house to change the oil, after it died by the side of the road.

The PCV valve was operational, just barely. The air filter was, well--missing... I have no idea how long it was gone. I also noticed a crack in the air box? Crazy thing is, the car really does seem to run OK.

Since the car is running, I'm going to suggest to him to stock up on a few of the Peak/STP oil change specials, and do some short, 1,500-2000 OCI's. I'll cut the next couple of filters and see what's what. The real shame of this is that an oil change on this car is about a 5 minute job--literally. People confound me sometimes.

Originally Posted By: JOD

All in all this looked to be a very well-constructed filter, and I'd totally recommend it. BTW, by my best estimates, the filter OCI is somewhere between 40-60K miles.

shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif
... it looks pretty good for that OCI length. Even if the guy drove 15K miles a year, it would be on there for ~4 years!

he drives a fair bit. We're in the wild west out here and things are pretty spread out; probably 17-20K a year. It's been on 'a few years'. This is one OCI. The oil has been (allegedly) topped up regularly, 1 qt every 3K or so, when he remembers to put the oil cap back on.

Friend or no friend, clearly he/she dosent car at all about the car and its condition. Im surprised it sounds good, I wouldnt touch the car though, since it sounds like its days might be numbered, there is just too much going on. That car is going to die again, and you will get blamed.
40-60k on a filter, for 2+ years is just absurd and irresponsible.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Friend or no friend, clearly he/she dosent car at all about the car and its condition. Im surprised it sounds good, I wouldnt touch the car though, since it sounds like its days might be numbered, there is just too much going on. That car is going to die again, and you will get blamed.
40-60k on a filter, for 2+ years is just absurd and irresponsible.

Yeah, I realize there's that risk, but I'm OK with it. I told him upfront that his car was ready to blow up, so if it dies tomorrow it's not my problem. He legitimately seemed to think that since he was topping up the oil regularly, he didn't need to change it. I'm not sure what his thinking was on the oil filter, though...

I was impressed with this filter, though-having never heard of it before.

Looks like it held up very well. It's amazing the abuse engines can take. Everyone on this board probably over maintains their cars, including me.

When I was looking for oil filters for various engines, Full oil filter always the lowest price lower than Fram. From this pictures, I don't doubt that Full oil filter is a much better buy than Fram and many house brands.

Thanks for posting the pics J--the actual color of the oil itself, leads me to believe it was significantly topped off recently--otherwise we'd be seeing black oil you cannot see through

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
The air filter was, well--missing...

EPIC car care FAIL!

+1.
I think that part...the missing air filter...bothers me most of all.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
The air filter was, well--missing...

EPIC car care FAIL!

+1.
I think that part...the missing air filter...bothers me most of all.

To make matters worse, there was a crack in the intake box as well! I didn't even bring up the missing air filter. What's the point? The car is still running and I had the replacement on hand, so it's in there now! Funny thing, I googled "missing air filter" and I guess this isn't the first car to be run without an air filter for an indeterminate amount of time. The good thing is that we get about 300 days of rain a year (or so it seems??), so it's not very dusty.

I've driven the car for a couple of days, and at this point I'm just going to do the remaining maintenance to get the car up to speed. I'm mostly curious to see how long this engine can hang on? I thought there was a significant oil leak, but after cleaning the engine and underside, I'm pretty sure it's power steering fluid migrating its way all over the place.

The good news is that the car has about 300 miles on it after the oil change, and the new oil is still clear. I was expecting it to be black almost immediately. To that's a good sign--I think??

...The good thing is that we get about 300 days of rain a year (or so it seems??), so it's not very dusty.

Same here, except when it's snowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back