Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, 10849 Mi., 06 Forester X 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib

Time on oil: 10 months
Oil Filter: PureOne PL14459
Air Filter: Fram
My sister drives this car the most, the majority of miles being on the highway.

A few notes:

- The oil used in the previuos UOA was a roughly 50/50 mix of Castrol Syntec 0w30 (GC) and 10w30.

- The car is currently running Mobil 1 0w30. I expect to run it about 11k miles as well, unless the car's usage pattern changes significantly.

foresteruoa2.png

I currently am running Ultra 5w20 in my 2008 Pilot. This makes me think I should "darn the torpedoes" and run it to at least 8k despite the OLM telling me to change it at around 6800.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
That is a really good report. I just looked at another that ran Amsoil for 2400 miles and had lots of wear metals and low TBN.

UOA's are not an oil performance "comparison tool".

A bit on the thick side, IMO. Is it possible that the oil is starting to thick right about near the end of its useful life in this particular engine??

Tbn depletes differently and varies with each new blend.

This is why you need more then just one UOA to make a good decision about anything.

Originally Posted By: Artem
A bit on the thick side, IMO. Is it possible that the oil is starting to thick right about near the end of its useful life in this particular engine??

The PDS for Ultra indicates a virgin viscosity of 10.3 cSt. There's going to be some variation to that amongst the batches, but I would say that, yes, this oil probably thickened up just a tad.

That being said, I'd have no worries stretching out to 13k given the same use and conditions in the future.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Could this be Ultra SN and previously SM?
I just checked the jug; this was SM rated Ultra. The previous oil was something completely different, as I noted in my original post. Reading is a good thing.
wink.gif

Wow.
Yours is just the latest in a series of 2.5 NA UOAs that have made me think I've been using too thick an oil in our Forester and changing it too often.
Great thing about this site is that you can learn so much, if you pay attention and keep an open mind.

Nice report! I ran the factory air filter for a while with slightly elevated si, but started dropping after switching to an Amsoil filter.

fdcg - VR1 in an n/a Forester ???

-Dennis

I read through all these reports and frankly don't see much better than this. I just put QS Ultimate 5W30 in the Honda after running PP Ultra since it came out (to save a few bucks). My question to myself is why? This oil is top shelf stuff both in formulation and results. I'm going to do a UOA on the Quaker State at the end of this run but intend to go back to the Ultra and not look back...job done.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Nice report! I ran the factory air filter for a while with slightly elevated si, but started dropping after switching to an Amsoil filter.

fdcg - VR1 in an n/a Forester ???

-Dennis

FAR, and thinner than the GC I've used in it for the past few changes.
Cheaper as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back