MC FL500S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this on another message board. Seems to contradict another thread I found on here a few months ago. Would like to pick up a few for the 2012 Mustang, but posts here mentioned not to because of an 8lb. bypass.

You have made a good choice in selecting the PL22500. Please be assured the PL22500 RV is adequate for the operation.
The FL500S filter design is not an 8 psi relief valve – Ford increased their target valve opening pressure several years ago to a higher range in the 17 + psi targets.

Purolator works very close with many OE vehicle manufacturers and we do our best to keep our product updated accordingly.

Best Regards,

Todd Vick

Manager, IAM Product Engineering | Purolator Filters NA LLC
3200 Natal St. | Fayetteville, NC 28306
Phone: 910-426-4842 | Mobile: 910-308-4203
[email protected] www.pureoil.com

I also thought the FL400S/FL500S were in the 8 psi bypass range. The older FL1A and FL820S were 12-16 psi, that's why Ford went with the newer filters besides the smaller can.

Hallmark, I agree, all the info I gather online references the 8lb. figure, however, all info I find is 1 or 2 years old.

The above statement from Purolator was posted about a month ago(5/11) on a Mustang Forum.

Just got off the phone with Purolator, guy I spoke with looked up the specs for the PL22500 and it shows 15.5 lb. as the bypass value........This would be nice as AAP has these on sale now and with discount codes, can be had in the $3.00 range......

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The newer filters have a HIGHER bypass than the older ones IIRC.

If (?) the current FL500S is at 16 and if (?) the current FL820S is at 16, i.e. the same, what was the rationale for Ford to spec a change of filters from FL820S to FL500S on some apps, e.g. the 3.0 V6 in September 2009 forward.

The only reason I can think of would be something related to certain apps requiring the smaller external dimensions of the FL500S can. However, some few months ago there was tech info posted online (not this forum...source forgotten) indicating that Ford tinkered with the oil pump pressures of the 2009-2011 3.0 engines which necessitated the switch to the lower bypass pressure of the FL500S. But, if(?) that filter is not at the lower 8...?

I continue to be troubled by the suggestion that the bypass PSI of a FL500S is something akin to 16.

The Wix/NAPA cross-ref to the the FL500S (57502/7502 for Ford's 2009-2011 3.0 V6) is rated at 8. Other brand cross-refs indicate the same. The Purolator info seems to be wacko.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
I continue to be troubled by the suggestion that the bypass PSI of a FL500S is something akin to 16.

The Wix/NAPA cross-ref to the the FL500S (57502/7502 for Ford's 2009-2011 3.0 V6) is rated at 8. Other brand cross-refs indicate the same. The Purolator info seems to be wacko.

I wouldn't get too worked up over bypass valve setting values.

The bypass setting is somewhat dependent on the filters design, and what the maximum delta P the media can withstand. In other words, you can take 10 different filters specified for the same vehicle, and the bypass settings on them may all be different because of the characteristics of the filter.

Only possible draw-back to a filter with a high bypass setting is that when it's getting loaded up to the point of bypass it would be reducing engine oil pressure more before bypass occurs (but only when the oil pump is in pressure relief) compared to a filter with a lower bypass setting. The good thing about a filter with a higher bypass setting is the fact that it will go into bypass mode less often.

Went ahead and trusted Mr. Vick from Purolator and put the PL22500 filter on, can't tell any difference. First OC after roadtrip(2800 mi.)

Last edited:

Exactly right. Ford spec for the FL500s is 8psi bypass. This is a new filter, only having been available for a few years (I think starting in late 2009). One reason for a lower bypass pressure is to allow high viscosity oil to flow faster to the engine during cold starts without being slowed/impeded in any way by the filter media. Also, there may be benefits under high RPM performance as well. I would NOT recommend using any filter with a bypass value of more than 8psi. DISCLAIMER: I am not a filter engineer but I trust that Ford engineers know what they are doing and prefer to use products meeting OEM performance specs regardless of manufacturer.

As a side note, I buy a few OEM Motorcraft FL500s filters at a time from RockAuto.com and they run me around $4 each . . . At that price point I see no reason not to use the OEM part.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: abs

Exactly right. Ford spec for the FL500s is 8psi bypass. This is a new filter, only having been available for a few years (I think starting in late 2009). One reason for a lower bypass pressure is to allow high viscosity oil to flow faster to the engine during cold starts without being slowed/impeded in any way by the filter media. Also, there may be benefits under high RPM performance as well. I would NOT recommend using any filter with a bypass value of more than 8psi. DISCLAIMER: I am not a filter engineer but I trust that Ford engineers know what they are doing and prefer to use products meeting OEM performance specs regardless of manufacturer.

As a side note, I buy a few OEM Motorcraft FL500s filters at a time from RockAuto.com and they run me around $4 each . . . At that price point I see no reason not to use the OEM part.

Is there a technical resource that shows 8psi as bypass for the FL500S? It sounds to me from the discussion that it is more in the 16psi range. The oil spec is 5w20 for the engines using this filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back