Anyone run old green antifreeze anymore? ....where

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we have had nothing but trouble with Long Life coolants at my shop thats all we use unless somebody asks for a Long Life coolant.

A-Zone and O-Riley both have it. We get it in 55 gallon drums from the local Chevron supplier.

I've had Silicated green in my Jeep for 100K now and it's been ok so far. I change it every couple of years.

Same here...I have 3 vehicles that came with the green stuff, and I've never had issues with it, so I see no reason to change.

Thank you all...guess I'm just paranoid about making sure it's the true green and not the dexclone yellow-ish green [censored].

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Same here...I have 3 vehicles that came with the green stuff, and I've never had issues with it, so I see no reason to change.

Thank you all...guess I'm just paranoid about making sure it's the true green and not the dexclone yellow-ish green [censored].
Read the ingrediants on the back. If it says that it has Silicates thats the coolant you want.

I still use the "green" coolant in my 2002 F-150 & 1996 Contour. I have it "exchanged", not flushed, every 3 to 4 years and so far all is well with the cooling system. My wife has a 2005 Explorer that came with the gold color fluid. It's time to change it again and we'll remain with that fluid. The Ford factory recommended fluids work for me.

Whimsey

My car came with green,and I still use it. I bought Zerex at Napa awhile back but noticed they don`t have it anymore. Who sells it now???? I recentlty replaced the radiator on my gf`s 1998 Olds 88 and I replaced the sludged up Dexcool stuff with Napa branded green coolant.

Isn't the Super Tech "old green"....? lol. That's all I use
wink.gif
no problems thus far....granted, my vehicle don't call for "DexCool" or anything like that.....it's an 88 Aries
wink.gif
In fact, last dump and fill, I used the "Super Coolant" by Hyperlube, seems to be working good thus far..being in FL, we don't see freezing temperatures too often, so I generally go easy on the antifreeze, more so on the water, to get me a 60/40 mix (water/af) and no problems, with the Hyperlube.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Since we have had nothing but trouble with Long Life coolants at my shop thats all we use unless somebody asks for a Long Life coolant.

I have not heard any issues with the Long Life Coolant..At least not from the Ford guys..If you flush it out every 60K miles or 4-5 years you should be good to go..I do not hear any Leos complaining about it either in thir P71'S.

I just used green coolant in my beater.

My WRX takes green coolant. I use the "super duper special professional use only" Subaru-brand coolant, but it's still not long life coolant.

I don't trust the long-life stuff. Dex-cool has made me wary.

I doubt that anyone runs the "old" green coolant anymore since it is not available. Now, there is the "new" low silicate green coolant that I think is under estimated for its quality. It's silicate level is about the same as found in G-05 and Zerex "claims" it's good for 5 years or 100,000 miles.

543_catholic_priest_or_reverend_preaching_from_a_pulpit.jpg

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan
The GREEN COOLANT is still available, My brother picked some up at CarQuest.

Just because it's green doesn't mean it isn't a Dex-Clone. Check the label or MSDS to be sure it contains silicates if that's what you're after. Which isn't needed unless you have a brass radiator or heater core.

For most cars on the road, G-05 appears to be an excellent choice and VWAG's use of G-12 is also superior for their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I doubt that anyone runs the "old" green coolant anymore since it is not available. Now, there is the "new" low silicate green coolant that I think is under estimated for its quality. It's silicate level is about the same as found in G-05 and Zerex "claims" it's good for 5 years or 100,000 miles.

543_catholic_priest_or_reverend_preaching_from_a_pulpit.jpg

You're likening "green's" lifespan to GO5 because they have a similar level of one ingredient?

What is the Prestone 50/50 Long Life "green" coolant considered? New low silicate?

I'm looking to get a coolant safer for my mostly aluminum engine.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
What is the Prestone 50/50 Long Life "green" coolant considered? New low silicate?

Dexclone if it says "all makes ,all models or "long life" on the jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back