Havoline 5w-30 SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the sample Tuesday and got it back today. Kinda disappointed there was no moly or titainium. There was a good dose of calcium with a little boron and magnesium. Good TBN for a dino.

Code:

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 0

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 0

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 114

SILICON 4

SODIUM 3

CALCIUM 2030

MAGNESIUM 39

PHOSPHORUS 643

ZINC 825

BARIUM 0

TBN TOTAL BASE 8.7

VIS 100C CS 9.71

FLASHPOINT 400

Nice tbn. Boron, phospohorus and zinc numbers look like Energy Conserving oils. I bet it performs great.

Thanks for doing the VOA. I guess in order to meet the SN specs and keep the price low, the add pack has been used as the sacrificial lamb. I was seriously contemplating making a purchaase of the Havoline to blend with Chevron Delo 15w40. That idea is no longer an option but I can still use Formula Shell or PYB.

I bet this is not the only SN spec oil that the Moly has been cut in to the surprise of many.

If I recall correctly, the big time HM favorite Valvoline MaxLife HM synthetic blend has had the Moly taken out also. The wording on the red bottle no longer says "Synthetic Blend" so who knows what is the same anymore.

I guess for HM oils...Pennzoil and Castrol HM will have to be the leaders in the HM arena.

Mobil was talked about for changing their SN formula and it was even said that they had 'cheapened' it.

It seems that Havoline has made a cheaper version,maybe even cheaper than Mobil made with their SN versions.

Mobil does have titanium.

NO!!! No more high-moly in Havoline!

Oh well, we'll live - oil does look strong, I have to admit. I'm sure it will work well.

Didn't someone say that high amounts of moly in an oil would prevent it from passing the piston cleanliness test associated with the new GF-5 testing requirements?
IIRC, 0w-20 oil was exempted from the test because of lobying on the part of an asain car manufacturer who loves using lots of moly in their 0w-20 oil.

Thanks for sharing this VOA.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: YZF_Eric
Viscosity of 9.x? Isn't that a little low for a 5w30?

The 'floor' on a 30-weight oil is about 9.3cst, so, yes, Havoline is a very thin 30-weight oil.

'SM' Havoline was 9.7cst; 'SN' Havoline is supposed to be 10.2, according to PDS....interesting that this sample still reads right at 9.7!

It was done by Blackstone. Everything listed is what they tested for, if its a 0 there wasn't any.

I ran three different SN 5w-30 over winter and spring in the '09 forester. AFA Fuel mileage and smoothness, the Mobil Super SN beat the havoline and the once vaunted PYB. This havoline does not run like the SM havoline.

Thanks for doing the VOA on the SN, GF-5, Havoline.

I made sure to buy only Havoline 5W-20 API-SM at Advance, for the Oil Change Special. I made sure that the Havoline I picked up was 12 quarts of SM to mix with the Chevron Delo, LE 400, 15W-40 for a blend of Chevron/Texaco.

All the new SN was in 5+ Quart Jugs while the older SM was still in quart bottles.

So much for Havoline in the future.....with no Moly.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Didn't someone say that high amounts of moly in an oil would prevent it from passing the piston cleanliness test associated with the new GF-5 testing requirements?
IIRC, 0w-20 oil was exempted from the test because of lobying on the part of an asain car manufacturer who loves using lots of moly in their 0w-20 oil.

Not likely because PYB has more moly in GF-5 version vs GF-4. Havoline still looks good just not eye popping full of additives like older versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back