Is synthetic really worth the extra money ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also depends on the price of the synthetic, for Example, BJs has a $9 coupon on Shell synthetic that, with taxes, comes to $3.22 a quart. Many retail outlets sell dino at more than that. sort of a no brainer. stock up when the deal presents itself

A modified 2.4l turbo at 6,250 rpms in 100+ ambient T@80% humidity. Worth it to me,besides with all the sales,rebates etc. over a 5 year period my average cost for syn is still less than $2 bucks a quart. I suspect that most conventional users have higher costs.

If your doing 3000 mile OCI now and willing to go to 6000 mile OCI with Synthetic then yes you have something to gain.

Many people need the reassurance of Synthetic to help them break out of the 3000 mile OCI cycle.

Last edited:
Some good and valid points on both sides here. For myself, I use conventional oil at a 5k OCI (approx. every 3 months on the Chrysler; every 8 months on the Buick) for a couple reasons.

1) I take advantage of sales/discounts and stock up on both filters and oil. Don't pay any more than $2/qt of national name brand oil (currently Mobil 5000) and $3 filters (Purolator, usually). Thus, I spend less than $30 for every 10,000 miles. I'll happily use a synthetic if I can find it for the same price.

2) Crawling around beneath the vehicle gives me the opportunity to inspect various components. That has proved valuable on more than one occasion.

3) I like it, and I get a sense of accomplishment from knowing it was done right and at a significant discount from the cost of having someone else do it.

Honestly, I do not see any benefit to using a synthetic in my situation.

Originally Posted By: Dantheman
Let me start out by saying I'm probably the least anal person here as far as oil changes go . I do not tow anything , and the temps here range from a low of 20 to a high of 100 ( breifly ). I adhere to REASONABLE oci's , and do not desire the latest and greatest as far as oil goes . Is there any REAL reason to spend the extra money on M1 or PP , etc. ?

Only if your extending your oci`s, Really cold climate, or your vehicle calls for Synthetic from the factory. i.e Mercedes, Corvette etc. jmo

Last edited:
It always amuses me how the blanket statements like "10k OCIs can easily be done on synthetic" seem to fly around like it is some sort of industry acknowledged "rule of thumb".
I just skimmed over the UOA section, there were maybe five OCI's of 10k or more using synthetic on the first 3 pages of that forum.

Also, why is it that the extended OCI oils, like M1 EP, have a waiver that under certain driving conditions the user should follow the manufacturer's OCI recommendation, which is usually 5k?

Why is it, that under the same conditions, dino recommendation is not reduced, it is still 5k, regardless of oil used?

Where are those blanket statements coming from?

People should use whatever they want, I'm not trying to change anybody's choice here, but what I am trying to do is stop the spreading of blanket statements and marketing [censored] that is so rampant here and passed along with no challenge.
We used to ask people for their driving conditions, seasonal temps, car make, engine type, sump size, mileage, etc. before making suggestions. Few of the older posters still do, but that is not enough
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Dantheman
Let me start out by saying I'm probably the least anal person here as far as oil changes go . I do not tow anything , and the temps here range from a low of 20 to a high of 100 ( breifly ). I adhere to REASONABLE oci's , and do not desire the latest and greatest as far as oil goes . Is there any REAL reason to spend the extra money on M1 or PP , etc. ?

From my understanding new mandates are forcing producers to make more robust and higher quality conventional oils.
So if you feel you're spending too much I'm sure you're be fine with conventional. I use synthetics cause I want to. I'm
sure it's not necessary.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
That is because where you drive or live permits that oci. Now instead of Granite City you drove on the Dan Ryan 10k would be risky especially with the watered down SN oils,
19.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
I have been doing 10K OCIs since 1978(in fact the Fusion will get it's 10K OC this week) and that doesn't cost any more than the lesser OCs with dino.

??

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It always amuses me how the blanket statements like "10k OCIs can easily be done on synthetic" seem to fly around like it is some sort of industry acknowledged "rule of thumb".
I just skimmed over the UOA section, there were maybe five OCI's of 10k or more using synthetic on the first 3 pages of that forum.

Also, why is it that the extended OCI oils, like M1 EP, have a waiver that under certain driving conditions the user should follow the manufacturer's OCI recommendation, which is usually 5k?

Why is it, that under the same conditions, dino recommendation is not reduced, it is still 5k, regardless of oil used?

People should use whatever they want, I'm not trying to change anybody's choice here, but what I am trying to do is stop the spreading of blanket statements and marketing [censored] that is so rampant here and passed along with no challenge.
We used to ask people for their driving conditions, seasonal temps, car make, engine type, sump size, mileage, etc. before making suggestions. Few of the older posters still do, but that is not enough
frown.gif

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

frown.gif

01.gif

+2 Very well said!

I'd be willing to bet some big money if I did extended drains following all the fine print, disclaimers, etc. I'd have problems with my vehicles. Following blanket statements and extended drains are not for everyone. Come to think of it, it would have to be some big money to cover the cost of the repairs. LOl

yes because I will not find conventional 0w40.

Besides I paid less than conventional since I stocked up on black friday!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Unless you`re using a PAO or Ester,I see no advantages whatsoever since grp III pseudosynths are dino oils.
GpIII oils work great they are probably equal to paos untill extreme cold.

frown.gif

01.gif

I have seen enough high mile engines running 10,000+ mile oil change intevals when working as well as some of my own to say yes 10,000 miles on a properly running engine is a good number. I do not always run syn because how I operate my vehicles and the miles I put on them.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

frown.gif

01.gif

+2 Very well said!

I'd be willing to bet some big money if I did extended drains following all the fine print, disclaimers, etc. I'd have problems with my vehicles. Following blanket statements and extended drains are not for everyone. Come to think of it, it would have to be some big money to cover the cost of the repairs. LOl

I don't think it's very well said at all. My long experience with 10K OCIs in many differant engines, and all of those I know doing 10K OCIs and longer(some up to 20K) with engines ranging from 2.0 diesels to Chev and Ford V8 to MBs, Jeeps, Hondas and many others, all have never had a problem with long OCIs. There are the few exceptions, but they are very few.

tig1, you just said it, it's YOUR experiance, which is fine for YOU.
At least you disclam that it is your experiance and anyone can take it for what it is.
What I was talking about is opinions presented as if they were proven facts.

I don't have a problem with advice such as: "you can do 10k mile OCI's provided your driving conditions can support it and it is confirmeed by UOA's".
What I have a problem with is: "dino=5k miles, synthetic=10k miles."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back