Trans fluid - 2004 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40

I was reviewing the service records on my 2004 Expedition, it appears the last trans fluid change was at 100,000 miles. (50k ago) This was done at the Ford Dealer, and they use the 'flush' method of connecting to the trans cooling lines. Apparently they do not drop the pan / change filters unless there is a problem and need to get in there? (That's what they said over the phone, anyway)

So, what's the BITOG consensus on trans flushing? I do most things DIY, but figured I'd just let the dealer do it since I have a coupon for the service. If it's better to actually remove the pan, change a filter, etc, I'd probably just do it myself.

Recommend dropping pan to change filter and a fluid change.

There will be a lot of junk in the filter and on the magnet. Most of that came as the trans broke in... within the first 5K miles of service. If that is gotten out at the first change, it's possible to not change it again.

If you drop the pan, followed by a fluid exchange, (which will get the stuff out of the converter). You will be 100 percent fresh.

If the fluid still looks OK now, you will get about 38 percent (IIRC) of the fluid out with the pan drop. That might be enough to get you another 30-40K on the fluid. Then, if you still have the Expy or the trans hasn't been replaced, you could do a fluid exchange without dropping the pan. To me, this is the cost effective option but doing it yourself, it's easy to do a cooler line fluid exchange after a pan drop.

How accessible is the pan? Can it be easily removed, or are there other parts in the way of removing it? If the pan doesn't have a drain plug, an aftermarket plug can be added when the pan is off to facilitate drain and refill followed by a cooler line flush in the future.

Ken2- If it's anything like my '05 F150, it takes about 15 minutes to get off. Kinda messy but not brain surgery. Wouldn't want to do it is windy, dusty conditions in a driveway, either.

bccardinal- I'd sure like to know details on their reasoning, given how nasty some of them look, not to mention the magnet. By "do not" do you you mean they "will not" even if the customer request it? I can go along with the notion that when viewed in the prism of "normal use," and to simplify warranty and service issues, a company could safely predict that no bad thing will happen if the filter isn't changed and not push it. I find it harder to accept that there is a negative to changing it. I changed mine at 11K and it had a fair number of large particles on it. the pan magnet was nasty with ferrous debris, some quite large pieces. Seeing that, and partcile counts on the transmission fluid, is what started me on the external trans filter bandwagon.

FYI, I spent 20 years as an ASE Master Tech before my career change and was a Ford trained tech at a Ford dealership part of that time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Exchange? Yes

Flush? No

What transmission is in the 04 Expedition? 4R75W?

According to RockAuto / pan gaskets section:

14-bolt holes; Ford 4R70W

20-bolt holes; Ford 4R100

I'll slide under there when I get home, I'm not sure which one it has.

I think I'll just take care of this myself, my father in law has a hoist, that will make it easy. I'll check my service manual for the capacities, etc, and order the gasket / filter from Rockauto. Thanks.

We dont change them unless a customer requests it or the service manual specifically says to, such as the CVT in the 500's and Freestyles.

Personally I would change the filter especially with the factory option drain plug pan you can get for the 4R70W since the filters are so cheap.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
We dont change them unless a customer requests it or the service manual specifically says to, such as the CVT in the 500's and Freestyles.

Personally I would change the filter especially with the factory option drain plug pan you can get for the 4R70W since the filters are so cheap.

bdcardinal: My sister in-law has a 2005 (or 06') Freestyle with the CVT and 70K+ on the clock. I've advised her to have the AT fluid changed but the dealer cost has scared her off (I think). What is your experience with these trannies? Will lack of service cause it's early demise?

The proper procedure involves changing both the regular filter and the case filter on that application. I have seen dealers charging US$500+ for this service since to properly check fluid level you have to use an IDS, and the Ford CVT fluid being fairly expensive.

Our only experience with those on a repair side is from quick lubes using generic ATF in them causing catastrophic failure of the unit. The problem is the vehicles they were in also had a AW sourced 6 speed auto and the quick lubes cant tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Exchange? Yes

Flush? No

What transmission is in the 04 Expedition? 4R75W?

X2^ Don't let them talk you into "cleaner" additives on a high mileage vehicle. The cleaners are effective but the accumulated deposits in the trans will dislodge and wreak havoc on your valve body and torque converter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back