Supercheap filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted about these before, and got in trouble for no pics.

Changed the oil on the Caprice this morning, after 8,500km of 10W-30 and Auto-Rx (sniff, a gift from Gary Allen from when we met him in NY this time last year).

Pulled apart the SCO154 oil filter, and quite impressed yet again, and this time with pics.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Oil-Filter-SCO154.aspx?pid=214365#details

IIRC, a store purchase is cheaper than that, pretty sure I paid less than $6.

Major bits laid out
IMG_2797.jpg

Can is 0.6mm (24 thou) thick, and quite rigid when cut open. Silicone ADBV.

IMG_2799.jpg

Media joint is a crimped steel arrangement

IMG_2798.jpg

Steel centre tube, and massive baseplate compared to others I've chopped.

Media is 50mm x 1.3m laid out. (102 square inches)

I don't see any junk on the media, look like the filter can be used for another 8-9k km. When I changed the paper cartridge filter of my E430 after 12-13k miles (about 20k km) I didn't see much junk on the media either, I thought about re-use the filter but I had many in my stash so that I used a new one. Also, the time it had been in service was 1 year, which I think is the limit of paper media.

I've only ever seen junk on filters either on a new car (My Navara had a single white flake on each of its first two OCIs), or on rebuild.

Caprice, I'm on rinse phase now, and have some cheapish 15W-40 mixed fleet in it for a few 2,000km changes.

After that, probably delo 400 and annual oil/filter changes

Nice filter that held up well. Thanks for posting your results with pictures. It just goes to show you that when you find great quality filters at a great price, like K&N, Mobil 1, Bosch D+, Fram Extended Guard, just let them run for 2 or 3 OCI's.

As Gary Allen posted in the past, RIP, the efficency of the filter gets better as more grit collects in these filters. That does not include sludged up engines but only engines where the oil is changed on a regular basis with quality products and the type of driving that you do with your vehicle.

Nice looking filter, Tried their online lookup and could only find 4 filter models. Compared to Ryco, which had hundreds.

SCA used to stock P1's - pity they don't any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back