Rotella T6 5W-40 in 5.9 Magnum (Jeep) at 6000 mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
This includes about 350 miles of highway towing (trailer was about 3k lbs loaded), and 30 minutes of track time at Watkins Glen opening weekend. Oil filter was a Pureone PL14670. No top-off was added during the OCI, engine used about a 1/2 quart in the 6000 miles.

Looks good to me (seems to have excellent wear characteristics), and I think I'd definitely be good for 7k miles, maybe 7500, before TBN became a concern. Thoughts?

uoa.jpg

Keep doing what you're doing. Maybe even go to 7500. Flashpoint is a tad low but I wouldn't lose sleep over it....Blackstone's FP numbers seem to read low.

I'd say cap it at 7,500 if you re-sample for comparison and avoid a race day during the interval for such purposes. Just an idea.

Looks like it took some good abuse and was up to the challenge. Definitely considering this one for my LS1 and AJ-V8.

Ok. I'll be doing a top-end rebuild on the engine in a couple of weeks due to the beginning of a small head gasket leak (pushing air into cooling system, not losing coolant yet). So, she'll have new heads, head gaskets, and a full new valvetrain (upgraded cam, new timing chain, roller rockers, etc). I figure I'll give that all a couple thousand miles to settle in, then run 7500 and do a UOA to see where she sits. It'll probably be February or so before the next UOA.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this looks, and I'm kinda curious to see what I'll get after 7500 miles next time, especially considering the engine will rev a bit higher and make more power than it does now.

I want to use the Rotella T6 5w-40 in a Suzuki DF90A 4-stroke outboard. What does anyone think about this? Sorry for being slightly off topic.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Ok. I'll be doing a top-end rebuild on the engine in a couple of weeks due to the beginning of a small head gasket leak (pushing air into cooling system, not losing coolant yet). So, she'll have new heads, head gaskets, and a full new valvetrain (upgraded cam, new timing chain, roller rockers, etc). I figure I'll give that all a couple thousand miles to settle in, then run 7500 and do a UOA to see where she sits. It'll probably be February or so before the next UOA.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this looks, and I'm kinda curious to see what I'll get after 7500 miles next time, especially considering the engine will rev a bit higher and make more power than it does now.

Wow - that's a lot of work on an old, gas-guzzling Jeep. You doing the work yourself?

Yes, I am. I'm going to have a shop replace the very rusty exhaust manifold bolts before I start though, as I don't feel like dealing with a broken or stripped one. Other than that, I figure I'll probably take a Friday and Monday off from work, work on it all weekend, and finish it up at night during the week if needed.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Wow - that's a lot of work on an old, gas-guzzling Jeep. You doing the work yourself?

That is a lot of work... but its a 5.9
20.gif

I think it's worth it. 5.9 with heads and cam =
laugh.gif

Oh, and Jeepman, I'll be waiting to see your UOA, as I'm running the same oil/filter combo in my mom's 99 WJ 4.0. However, she has a 3 mile commute, and it gets tons of short trips as a result, so I won't let her over 5k miles on an OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back