Chevy silverado trans temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new to me 2007 1500 and it has the trans temp reading in the odometer display and it has reached 200 deg while driving 70mph with the A/C blowing and about 85 deg outside. It only has the cooler in the radiator. Is this temp too high? Or am I just worried over nothing?

It is too high. Sell the truck today before the trans blows up.

Seriously , it needs service. It should be lower.
Either the cooler is plugged, too small or the fluid and filter are not doing their job. I would have the filter changed , then have it all flushed using b-g quick cleaner or equivalent and then filled with full synthetic fluid first. If the temp is still high , you might invest in a larger cooler.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html

Have the temp checked with a scan tool just to verify the accuracy of the dash unit.
Under those conditions its common to hit 200 deg on these units, 225 is getting hot, 300 is heading for failure within a short time.
Still it would be nice to get the temp down a little.

You may want to do a service and add 2 bottles of Lubeguard Red to the fluid. A Dex 6 spec fluid would be helpful in your area, this should be good for about a 10 deg reduction.
An aftermarket cooler may be a good idea given you live in a hot part of the country.

What's the condition of the fluid, has it started to lose that red color.

I've hit 200 once on my Silverado and that was towing a 10K fifth wheel up a grade in Colorado.

We have a 2010 Silverado 1500 4x4 at work and the transmission temperature never gets warmer than 175-180*F, and that's around town. I am surprised it gets that high on the road, with the torque converter locked.

seems pretty high to me, i'd expect 170-180 on the hwy in lockup.

but, I'm not familiar w that trans

Last edited:
My Dmax rarely gets that high towing a 13000 pound fifth wheel!

Better find out what's up.

We have a few 1500 Silverados that also rarely get that hot unless they are working very hard.

If 200 is correct, it is a little warmer than I'd like.
Strive for 175. Remember that too cold is also bad for auto trans life!

I checked out a 2002 Denali AWD with the L460E, this one has a towing package, deep pan and an additional OEM cooler.
Temp 170 deg on the scan tool.

A 2001 Suburban 4WD same transmission, no tow package, shallow pan and only radiator cooler.
Same distance 188 deg on scan tool, ambient 79f.

No comment just some information to dissect.

My daughter's 2008 Avalanche runs about 190-195F on a Texas summer day. I've seen it hit 200F occasionally. This was with OEM fill, and then after a full transmission flush with DEX VI. The water temp seems to run about 210F normally, so these tranny temps don't seem out of line on a toasty Texas day, even with a light load on the truck. Just stay with a 30K mile flush regimen and you'll do just fine.

Ok, I got a cooler to add inline with the rad cooler. I did change the fluid and filter when I got the truck and the fluid had lost most of its pink color but wasnt realy dark or burnt. I did call the dealer and was told that the normal temps would be 180* to 200*. Maybe I am just worrying over nothin, but 200* seems a bit high for my likeing so I will install the cooler today and see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I checked out a 2002 Denali AWD with the L460E, this one has a towing package, deep pan and an additional OEM cooler.

A 2001 Suburban 4WD same transmission, no tow package, shallow pan and only radiator cooler.

This is great info. Note that the vehicle cooling the fluid only through the radiator was much hotter, I'm sure that's due to high coolant temps.

We used to call radiator trans coolers "trans warmers" because they tend to get the fluid up to the same temp as the coolant.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Trav

This is great info. Note that the vehicle cooling the fluid only through the radiator was much hotter, I'm sure that's due to high coolant temps.

We used to call radiator trans coolers "trans warmers" because they tend to get the fluid up to the same temp as the coolant.

Don't write the radiator cooler off so fast. It will haul off a lot of heat. On a 100 degree day, it may haul off more heat than the oil to air cooler. I learned that if you eliminate the radiator cooler, you'll have to get a VERY large oil to air cooler.

200 seems high to me. Different application, but I've never seen the trans temp in my truck go above 190, even while towing or carrying a heavy load in 95+ degree heat. It came from the factory with a separate trans cooler though (power steering uses the radiator for cooling).

I hooked up the aftermarket cooler (in line after the radiator cooler) on my Buick the other day. The transmission temperatures dropped a solid 20-25*F with it hooked up. 170* before the cooler, 145 after hooking it up on a 70*F day with 3 people in the car at highway speed.

The cooler gets unhooked over the winter since the transmission would never come up to temperature otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back