Particle count testing -- Opinions/advice sought

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on having particle count (PC) tests performed on oil I've run alongside various oil filters of my choosing. (I will at least test an M1 filter, an RP filter, and a Hyundai OEM filter.) It will be a loooooong time before I have all the results, but before I even start, I am seeking opinions from people with more knowledge in this area than I have.

My primary vehicle is usually a short-tripper, almost exclusively. I normally use a (Hyundai-specified) 3K OCI. However, I recently took a road trip that included 1,400 highway miles. Assuming I still changed (and sampled) the oil at 3K, would this variance in type of driving skew the PC results? I talked briefly with someone at BlackStone about this, and he said only that "It could" (actually he was stuck on "Uhhhh..." and I finished the sentence for him).
smile.gif

I know enough to (1) Use the same type of oil for each test; and (2) Use the same type of air filter. Anything else I should watch out for, or keep in mind?

Since highway miles are considered "easy" on the engine/oil, less wear is produced during this time, so the PC numbers would be less, IMO.

Since UOA are very sensitive to changes in driving style, that highway trip will throw off the results if the other miles in the future UOA are mostly city/short trip driving.

I would want to do my PC in my most common driving conditions. BUT for 3k OCI's there really isn't a reason to do a PC test. You are changing the oil out regularly and will get a low PC most likely as long as your engine is wearing well (a UOA is fine). I would save the money for more important things like...
beer3.gif

Last edited:
Well my whole intention is to test the efficacy of various oil filters. I understand it would be better to undergo a mix of driving and a much longer OCI (e.g. 7.5K). But I can only work with what I have...

Low PC or not, I would expect relative differences. Not sure. That's why I'm asking. If knowledgeable people think that at 3K the PC differences between various filters would be vanishingly small, then I won't bother.

I think the differences would be very nominal glum. The data is always appreciated though. I would expect to see little difference but maybe it would be a surprise? It is your money, I have to say I would rather have a PC test than TBN. I did that myself and the Bosch D+ I used was very efficient. It was a short run though.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2195882

Last edited:
Don't think knowing the PC on those filters is gonna make much difference in your engine wear. Save that UOA money.

Why not? I guess it depends on how much difference there exists between the filters. In any case, the testing is mainly for edification.

Thanks. I have seen that thread. I wanted to do my own testing, in part because of how this all started (an argument concerning the efficiency of Hyundai OEM filters). Hyundai filters weren't tested. I also don't like the discrepant results and the shadow of "don't know what happened".

Unless the oil filter breaks apart and fouls the oil passages the choice of oil filters during your ownership of the vehicle will not make a difference. A good seal of the airfilter and intake plumbing would be a wiser thing to spend you time on.

There are an awful lot of biased opinions on oil filters for it not to matter which filter you use. I am not sure but it seems to me that a significantly-better PC would help an engine.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
I have a Hyundai Sonata myself. Cant wait to see tests about Hyundai OEM filters. They look pretty good on the inside.

I'm glad someone else is interested. Unfortunately (as I mentioned), it will probably be quite a long time before I have any info back. Sorry.

I plan on doing a PC at 10 000 kms . Using a OEM filter with PU 5w20.
3000 kms to go till 10k. After that i will fill up with Amsoil 0w20, Mobil 0w20 AFE or Toyota 0w20. The oil filters available to me are a Puralator one, OEM and a Bosch D+.

If you're having PC tests done on more than 1 filter, I think you should keep as many other variables the same as possible--particularly the oil type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back