2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe, V-6, Delo 400 15W/40, 5000 mile UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys - what do you think of this. Had it analyzed at Blackstone. They recommended I go up to 7K between changes. Running Delo 400 15W/40 with K&N Filter 1006, FilterMag magnet, and I have done the Auto RX treatment earlier (around 10K miles). Any info, rec's, advice, etc.. is welcome.

MI/HR ON OIL 5,000
MI/HR ON UNIT 20,000
SAMPLE DATE 12/7/2003

Equipment Make Infiniti
Equipment Model G35 3.5L V-6 280 HP
Fuel Type Gasoline
Oil Use Interval 5,000 miles
Oil Type & Grade Chevron Delo 400 15W/40
Make-UP Oil Added 0 quarts

Aluminum 2
Chromium 1
Iron 11
Copper 6
Lead 2
Tin 0
Molybednum 6
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 9
Silicon 6
Sodium 10
Calcium 2941
Magnesium 6
Phosphorus 1080
Zinc 1153
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity at 210 F. 71.8
Flashpoint in F. >395
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.2

These are great results. If we've learned anything on this site it's that certain engines need thicker viscosities. Doing a UOA can really prove this. Most people today would never put a 40wt in this car but with results like this your getting great protection. Is this a Gas/Deisel oil? There is a good amount of ZDDP in there.
smile.gif

The oil was fine for gasoline engines - it was not a diesel only oil. I went with the 40wt because my impression on running 5/30 and 10/30 was that the engine felt (when hot or high rev's) like it needed a bit heavier oil. Some of the other UOA's for my car I have seen (mostly Mobil 10/30) seemed to be a bit on the thin side.

One more thing on this - some of the G35/350Z engines seem to use a bit of oil. I was 1 qt. low when I changed it (forgot to check in between) but still had these kind of #'s, so overall I am very pleased.

Yes - those are fine numbers. I would try to keep the level up to the full level on the dipstick. That's easier on the oil. Sure looks like 7K miles is do-able.

Have you considered adding LC and 132? I bet you could get 7000 mile OCI number to better your 5000 mile OCI!!!!

I just want to take a minute to point out that he used thicker then a 5W30 and his engine did not self destruct!

[ December 16, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

A good report indeed! I never would've imagined a new Infiniti engine would like a 40wt oil, I figured it's clearances would be tight enough that a 30wt would be preferred. Although I believe we've seen this engine on Mobil 1 5w30 (or 10w30?) recently and it didn't do so well. So perhaps the clearances in this engine aren't as tight as I thought.

I would like to see another OCI on Delo (keep the oil level up please
wink.gif
) and then 2 more OCIs with a quality 30W dino. Chevron Supreme if possible to keep differences to a minumun. That should give us a good comparo between thick and thin.
Rick

EDIT: Good report indeed!
cool.gif

[ December 16, 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

I'm going to do another DELO UOA with the oil level up for sure; probably a 7K run this time.

And I was thinking of trying the Chevron Supreme 5/30 one time and seeing how that runs. IF I do, I will do a UOA also.

The interesting thing is that the engine sounds better when starting up cold, at high rpm's, when hot, and the gas mileage actually was the same or slightly better with the Delo 15/40 than it was with the Mobil 5/30. I suspect that this type of engine likes a bit heavier oil even though that may seem counter-intuitive now-a-days.

This is a good report! BUT......if this was Mobil 1 10w30 some folks would say look at the high IRON, you should have used a thicker oil!!!
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

This is a much better UOA than the other G35 that ran M1 5w-30. Lead and Iron here are about 55-60% of the other G35 even given the slightly shorter OCI. Given the supposedly tight clearances of VQ engine, this indeed surprises me. Also wonder if the filter magnet helped with the iron at all(?). In any event, this has helped me make the switch to the slightly thicker Amsoil ASL over the M1 10w-30. I'm still not ready to move to a 40 wt oil; old habits die hard.

The other G35 should be posting a UOA on M1 10w-30 in about a month. It should be interesting to see if the UOA is any better than the ones running 5w-30 (of which he posted 3).

Average oil analysis data from the 3W.Maxima.org site shows average Fe wear with Mobil 1 in the Nissan V-6 engine to be > 3 ppm/1000 miles. This analysis shows Fe wear of 2 ppm/1000 miles, or 33% lower.

The numbers don't lie ....

What viscosity does Nissan recommend for similar engines outside of North America? I suspect it is NOT 5W-30, but XW-40. It has been documented on this site that clearances have not changed significantly over the last few decades, only CAFE standards have. It is incredible that auto manufacturers have only one viscosity recommendation for the whole North American continent with such a wide variation in climates. This oil analysis and mine with a BMW mirror excellent results with Delo 400 in a warm climate.

I know that for the VG30 Engine (Which the motor in this analysis is derived) in my 91 Pathfinder that the manual and hood label say 5w-30 preferred, 10w-30 & 10w-40 fine for temps above 0F, and 20w-50 fine for temps above 50F.

Cary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back