Honda 0W20 Engine Oil Application Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy.
Honda0W20chart.png

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Thanks. I wonder why 0W-20 isn't at listed as "acceptable" wherever 5W-20 is spec'd.

Probably because of availability more than anything less. It is still a SAE 20 oil at operating temp.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Thanks. I wonder why 0W-20 isn't at listed as "acceptable" wherever 5W-20 is spec'd.

The only place this is the case is with the F23 engine at it's very end, natural gas, and the 5000 a year Civic SI, so I suppose they didn't want to spend the money to test it in these low volume or sunseted applications.

Last edited:
Earlier this week I stopped into Madison Honda, (wiper refills)and they actually had this color chart posted in each service writer's work area. For a dealer, they are well above average

I think it's kind of interesting that the hi-po offerings (S2000,Civic Si) take the 30 weights oils, but everything else is 20 weight...

Looking at the S2000:
Most - if not all - dino 10W-30's produced before 2009 shear down into a 20 weight.
And why would you still recommend a 10W in 2009?

Thanks for posting the chart!

11.gif

I think unless Honda does a full test run with other grade such as 5W30, Honda can not recommend anything else beside 10W30 (and 5W40 for colder climate) for S2000.

Looking at the signature at the bottom of the picture, seems this is backed by Honda officially?

Any chance we can get this for Acura?

I cringe at the thought of putting 5w20 in my '99 Honda Civic (d16y7 engine). It's loves 10w30 and has 219,000 miles on it right now. What % better fuel economy with going to 5w20?

When I tried 5w30 with it, it wasn't too happy when cold.. Motor chatter at specific RPMs.. Maybe valves but thankfully not the lower part of the engine.

Originally Posted By: danwat1234
I cringe at the thought of putting 5w20 in my '99 Honda Civic (d16y7 engine). It's loves 10w30 and has 219,000 miles on it right now. What % better fuel economy with going to 5w20?

When I tried 5w30 with it, it wasn't too happy when cold.. Motor chatter at specific RPMs.. Maybe valves but thankfully not the lower part of the engine.

That engine calls for 5w30, so maybe you have some piston slap. I know I do.

Finding 0-20 anywhere other than dealer is a job. So they have the public even more over a barrel. Even the repair shops never heard of Hondas using 0-20 much less having it on hand. With all these changes like SN and other changes does it not seem we are getting screwed or is it just me??? Shell Oil seems the only one not trying to push a cheaper, need alot of excuses, oil on us now with SN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back