Thickest than SAE 250 available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone,

is a gear fluid available, that is thicker than Amsoil's racing gear lube SAE 250?
Does anyone know where it can be found?
your input is appreciated,

many thanks in advance

Thicker than 250? Wow. That's really thick! What on earth are you going to use this for? are you use you are looking for SAE grade and not ISO grade?

hi tinmanSC,

I found in an old book of mine when I was studying mechanical engineering an old german calculation DIN.. (I don't remember the standard) that the only factor about the lube that was in the equation inserted was the viscosity of the lubricant.. so I wonder how much an old fashioned gearbox or differential can be pushed only by increasing the viscosity (the calculation was a circular reference. You used the data that you had, and you could find the final operating temperature, then you used this value to make the calculation again, till you finally had something that could work).

Last edited:
Hi Eddie,

yes, that true. Old timers designed machinery that was basically a combination of gears, with a frame around, just to keep the oil inside. Nevertheless the design was very robust (the dimensions were always calculated on the safe side, not exact, according to the loads that were transferred from the input to the output of the gear boxes).

Hi river_rat,

if chanelling was not a concern, what you suggest? (it must be oil, not grease)

thanks for the input

Last edited:
SAE250 is the automotive scale. ISO680 or AGMA #8 are industrial scales to measure gear oil. Both are extremely thick. Thicker than that would be semi-fluid grease, maybe NLGI #0000 or #00.

In any case, you'll have a hard time finding less than a 35# (5 gallon) pail.

Originally Posted By: berlyn
Hi river_rat,

if chanelling was not a concern, what you suggest? (it must be oil, not grease)

thanks for the input

Hi. Perhaps STP or Motor Honey. But these are not formulated to be gear lubes, of course, or even synchro compatible--so no one knows what you would get for a result.

Are we talking about an old washing machine transmission, a tractor, or a road vehicle?

Quote:
is a gear fluid available, that is thicker than Amsoil's racing gear lube SAE 250?
Does anyone know where it can be found?

What is the application?

Too thin or thick a fluid is not for every application.

I second the suggestion above for looking at industrial lubes. Mobil has some extremely heavy gearbox lubes available, though I don't know if they are right for your application.

You can go HERE and check out the Mobilgear SHC and Mobilgear SHC 22M PDSs.

Hi Ken2,

thank you for the info, I wasn't aware of this categorization (AGMA).

Hi river_rat and Molakule,

this is about a reducer, that was designed by our class when I was a student. (if the design was compact and robust, the teacher gave you the go ahead to manufacture what you had designed..). It was a nice way to get in touch with the calculation sheets, as it was quick and gave you a sense of the numbers, before you proceeded with using FEMs or other methods, it helped you learn the basics.
it consists of 5 gears, with a b angle of 20 degrees, the output rotates in the same manner as the input, both clockwise, and the input power is 10 kilowatts, that is about 13.5 HP.
The input is 400 rpm, and the output is 50 rpm.
It is constantly connected to a brake, so no variations of the forces on the teeth.

The_Eric,

many thanks for the very useful link.

Last edited:
Torco's RGO 250 gear oil is 42.69 cSt @ 100*C, and 490.23!! cSt @40*C.

I never looked to see what Amsoil's 250 specs are (I did not even know that they made one until this thread!!).

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Hmmm. Maybe Bel-Ray MA-1500 Heavy?

It is 257 cSt @ 40 C, and is called a "semi-fluid."

That's not suuuuper thick. That would be a straight SAE 50 engine oil. Or a SAE 90 gear oil.

I'd look into a 00 grease or something like that for a very thick "oil". With the advent of modern EP additives, the dependency on very thick gear oils is greatly reduced.

Molecule is a real formulator, but I'd think that a good quality, modern 75W140 would do everything you needed.

I agree with Tempest.

At that low an HP and the slow IN/Out velocities, a 75W140 should just about do ya!

Ahhh, Excel Spreadsheets and Finite Element Modeling, fun stuff.

I assume the input and output shafts are parallel with no high angle gearing, straight cut gears, etc???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back