The town that opened up Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got a 5 day weekend (Easter and ANZAC day fall together), and have been through some miserable weather...however, this weekend has had some glorious days so far (touch wood). So we took the children to the remains of the local blast furnace.

It was the first continuous operation (as opposed to batching) blast furnace in the country, commenced operation in 1907. It made the steel for the railway that linked the East and West of Oz.

IMG_2762.jpg

Walking up to it from the south-west, the major engine house is pretty much the majority of the structure still standing...a couple of views from different angles.

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

Tall building had a Davey(?) vertical reciprocating steam engine that was 14m (46') high IIRC. Look at the photo at the top, and the building was crowned with a cast iron emergency water tank.

Part building at the front, and the missing buildings to the left (plinths still there) were for the later steam turbine (Parsons) installations.

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

Some of the remains of the blast furnace area.

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

The area is dotted with bee hive kilns for the production of Coke.

IMG_2755.jpg

Limestone came from a nearby town named (guess what ???) Portland, which was the cement factory that built Sydney.

A few old boiler shells lay around the area (children loved them). Don't have too much of a snake worry this time of the year.

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

Area was at one time covered in blast furnace slag over 20' deep, most of which was reclaimed for roads and aggregate. The hills in the background were completely denuded in the 20s and 30s, with the fumes from the blast furnace, power station, copper smelter, and coal burning trains and populace.

In hindsight, the snake comment may have been a bit premature, this slag rock (seen in the first walking photo) was teeming with little skinks.

IMG_2752.jpg

neat little history lesson, I don't know how you Aussies deal with living in a country with so many deadly snakes....Looks like a neat place, hope you didn't try to go inside that building - looks like it could crumble at any moment. When did they shut down the factory?

I think it was closed down in the 30s (maybe late 20s), when the steel industry moved to Wollongong.

Certainly didn't go into the engine house. The cracks were big enough to scare me at the distances I was photographing from.

Can't let the snakes bother you too much. We get a couple of tiger snakes a year in the power station. Workmate had an angry copperhead in his garage this summer...we've also got redbacks and funnelwebs here...just checked out back, there's still redbacks (black widows) in my worm farm.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Kind of sad to see history just laying around in rubble. If only those old walls could talk.

There were some good boards up with some of the history of the site that I wasn't aware of...strikes, owner taking his 2-1/2c/week no strike pay off the strikers, more strikes, guns...etc.

There's lots of history around here, old shale workings, train tunnels that were abandoned, used to store chemical weapons during the wars, no returned to glow-worm attractions.

What a cool piece of history...I simply have got to get back to your fascinating country...been lucky enough to go to Sydney and Melbourne several times but only for a day before returning home. I simply have not had the opportunity for any more exploring...

Been saving my airline miles for just this reason!

Cheers,

Yep, great post. History was about the only subject I did well in in HS, LOL I just love reading and seeing things like this.

If only there were time machines
smile.gif

And you guys have a beautiful country. I've never been a traveller, got too many dogs and cats to go away
smile.gif
but if I ever did Australia or NZ would be top choices. Just so much unspoiled beautiful land and greenery. We have that in northern Ontario too, but it's frozen solid 9mos a year and unbearably infested with mosquitoes and blackflies another 2 and 1/2 lol.

I get one great week in the spring and one great week in the fall though, and I can bring the pups
smile.gif

Last edited:
I'll take that photo Panda...

was doing a bottle drop at the local scrap metal merchant...he's around 1/4 mile from the old furnace.

Nice, thank you for the photos.

spent a couple of nights at the farm. had a hopping mouse or rat in the roof for a few hours. kept me and the kids up.

until the carpetsnake struck in a rukus and shut that bloody vermin up.

Nice day today after a week of rain (and work),so decided to have another crack at it.

P6050081pb.jpg

P6050078pb.jpg

The whole of the site was once covered in blast furnace slag, which was later dug up for use in roadbase etc.

Except for this bit, supporting a tensioner for a power line. Note the paving across the top of it.

P6050084pb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back