iPhone & iPad tracking their locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fast...L4BCE_blog.html

Quote:
Researchers Pete Warden and Alasdair Allan were looking for a way to visualize mobile data when they stumbled across a file in the iPhone and iPad 3G that records locations and timestamps, Allan wrote on O’Reilly Radar.

Digging deeper, the researchers found that the file, “consolidated.db,” contained the data for just about everywhere Allan had been since upgrading to iOS 4. The same was true of Warden’s file.

Apple is mum as to why.

Is anyone surprised? Apple, Google, and Facebook will do whatever they can to get data on consumers. They are companies I avoid.

You're worried about data on consumers??? Google works hand in hand with the NSA. You should be more concerned about that!

Apparently governments now use the 4th amendment as toilet paper.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
You mean my phone with a GPS built into it knows where I've been?

And it's keeping a log.

I see the sarcasm. But it is supposed to tell YOU where you ARE. Not APPLE where you've BEEN.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

And it's keeping a log.

And police officers are downloading that log. Winning!

Originally Posted By: Tempest

And it's keeping a log.

And it transfers that log to a new device if you upgrade.

I wonder why Apple wasn't smart enough to encrypt the "spy" file.
21.gif

I don't see how it's any different than AT&T also knowing where I've been, since I'm on a cellular phone and they know what cell I've been in by what tower I'm connected to.

Do they keep logs? Probably.

And this would be for any phone.

Any cell phone can be tracked via the tower, but most of the time they don't care who you are, where you have been, for how long, unless there's a search order / warrant on you to begin with.

Now if they need to track you, and you do not want to be tracked, you can just easily turn off your cell phone during the time (i.e. during a bank job, visiting a mistress, etc).

On iPhone there's also an option to reset whatever the system has logged (under General, Reset), if you forgot to turn it off earlier.

I understood that there wasn't the opt out option on the logging. Can a person be sure that it has reset or is it still stored where we can't see it? I have less of a problem with the GPS than I do with the police downloading the info from the phone. After all I'm sure that there is personal date or even pictures on there that you don't want others to have access to. This should only be accessed by a search warrant.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Now if they need to track you, and you do not want to be tracked, you can just easily turn off your cell phone during the time (i.e. during a bank job, visiting a mistress, etc).

That may not be enough, depending on the phone. On many phones "off" is still a standby mode. You really need to remove the battery or smash the phone to bits and pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back