Hyundai sez no aftermarket filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the MArch April "Auto Service Professional" Hyundai has a TSB that says engine knock is caused by some aftermarket filters due to different materials, construction and specs different from OE Hyundai filters. All Hy models are affected. Only solution - use OE filter .
---------------
wonder what aftermarket filter characteristic causes the knock?

That sux- doesn't really impact me right now as I get free lifetime oil changes on my Santa Fe from my dealer, but when I transfer to my next duty station I'll have to start doing it myself. I'll make sure to use OEM...

Let me guess--you were just at the Hyundai dealership and they tried scaring you against aftermarket with this TSB, right?

Some aftermarket oil filters do cause issues. Not all of them do. So the solution isn't "OEM only", it's to find a filter that works properly. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance on my 2008 Sonata and have no problems with it. I have heard of other people having piston slap and valvetrain noise issues with other aftermarket oil filters.

If Hyundai would publish the specs for their OEM filters, I might feel more comfortable with using them. But "doesn't cause piston slap" isn't a strong enough recommendation for me. I could probably hollow out an oil filter case and achieve silent operation from it.

Sounds like a way for Hyundai to get out from under their 100K warranty. That is the silliest thing I have ever heard. After market filters cause Engine knock. Nice.

My wife's 07 Sonata has had the OEM filter only 2 times in 4 yrs. 1) when we bought it new, and the second one about an oil change back. Other than that its had FRAM Filters on with NO ISSUES AT ALL!!

Hyundai is getting silly
spankme2.gif

Own have owned 4 Hyundai vehicles including an 07 and a 10 Santa Fe and have always used the OEM filters. Well made and cost is not that bad either.

If I understand the Magnuson-Moss Act, Hyundai would be obligated to prove that the aftermarket oil filter caused the problem. Not the owner.

Also, Hyundai cannot tell you that you must use the factory filters to keep your warranty, unless they are willing to give you those items FREE of charge. But the language of the act is a little murky and even the most overpriced OE filters are less than $15.

Unless Hyundai is charging $30 for filters, I'd just use theirs if the car is under warranty. The lawsuit stuff hardly seems worth it over a stupid oil filter if the motor were to go.

Speaking of OEM filters, I have a couple OEM filters I'd like to unload, cheap. Part number 26300 35503. Anyone in the Charlotte area, they're $5 each. I'm serious.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Unless Hyundai is charging $30 for filters, I'd just use theirs if the car is under warranty. The lawsuit stuff hardly seems worth it over a stupid oil filter if the motor were to go.

Meh, I'm constitutionally incapable of doing well when being told what to do when the instructions are nonsense. There's a TSB that says "Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of aftermarket oil filters." If you don't have the knock noise, the TSB is inapplicable to you. They can't force you to use OEM.

I agree with Hyundai here. If they have had complaints about startup knocking and have identified the cause as some no OEM filters then I'd use OEM for sure during the warranty. Lots of people will go to fast Lube places and get a no name $1,00 oil filter and bulk oil. We on this site would never do that and buy only name brand oil and name brad filters-right? Why in the blazes would I take my $27,000 vehicle and go cheap on oil and filters or go to a fast oil change place to save $10 every 4-8,000 miles. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Ed

But what is funny too is Hyundai also Rcommends Quaker State Oil in the manual. But my Hyundai Dealer puts in Mobil. I get more valvetrain noise with Mobil so I do the Oil Changes myself with Quaker State 5/20 and either a Fram Tough Gaurd or Purolater Pure1 Filter. Its not being "cheap" if you want to "save" money. My oil changes cost me $20 with filter, Dealer is $40 plus I get a noisy valvetrain...mmmmm Gee let me think on that one. haha

Jeff

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
According to the MArch April "Auto Service Professional" Hyundai has a TSB that says engine knock is caused by some aftermarket filters due to different materials, construction and specs different from OE Hyundai filters. All Hy models are affected. Only solution - use OE filter .
---------------
wonder what aftermarket filter characteristic causes the knock?

Old Hyundai/Kia TSB KT2007121201 ?

I've used a bunch of Kia/Hyundai filters on the 08 spectra (they seem like a good filter and are low priced) but I've also used PureOnes, Amsoil, and Denso filters on it with no issues.

Another dirty little secret: Hyundai dealers don't necessarily use OEM filters. They'll sometimes use aftermarket if it's cheaper and/or more readily available. I have seen this with air filters, so why not with oil filters?

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Sounds like a way for Hyundai to get out from under their 100K warranty. That is the silliest thing I have ever heard. After market filters cause Engine knock.

Jeff, it seems that you form your opinions based only on what happens to you. You dispel the idea that a filter could cause engine start up noise based on your use of Frams.

Then, you go on and "confirm" Hyundai's recommendation to use only Quacker State based on your experience with Mobil:

Quote:
But what is funny too is Hyundai also Recommends Quaker State Oil in the manual. But my Hyundai Dealer puts in Mobil. I get more valvetrain noise with Mobil so I do the Oil Changes myself with Quaker State 5/20

If you use the search function here and type in "oil filter noise", you can find many examples of people experiencing start up noise on many vehicle brands using any given brand of filter. And, by changing the filter brand, these people eliminated the start up noise.

Hyundai is probably just addressing an issue that shows up at the shop too many times. I do wonder how the TSB is worded in order to avoid the Magneson Moss stipulations.

From a factory perspective it makes sense to control warranty costs, and not be responsible in the $1000's because someone bought an oil filter off the internet with newspaper for an element. Unfortunately that's the new world we are in.
I can see their point, other than wanting to sell more filters and service, and get you to walk through the new car showroom on the way to parts.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
From a factory perspective it makes sense to control warranty costs, and not be responsible in the $1000's because someone bought an oil filter off the internet with newspaper for an element. Unfortunately that's the new world we are in.
I can see their point, other than wanting to sell more filters and service, and get you to walk through the new car showroom on the way to parts.

Auto mfg. are not responsible for and will not warranty any engine repair if an aftermarket filter is found to be at fault. It then becomes a fight for the vehicle owner with the filter company.

My guess is that this is just an annoyance issue that the dealer shops want to get rid of.....and of course like you stated, sell OEM filters too.

I can't believe there is so much back-and-forth over this. Any vehicle manufacturer can play games with your warranty, TSB or not. Any car owner whose engine fails could be given grief over warranty coverage if they use aftermarket parts. Hyundai's issuing of this TSB was ostensibly to address a real issue, not to squirm out of warranties through methods that violate US federal law.

I guess it comes down to your own disposition. If you want to feel like you are playing it safe and you feel comfortable using OEM filters, go for it. But personally, I can't stand being told what to do in such a manner. I'm going to use what I want.

In any event, here's the full content of the TSB in question. Note that it doesn't say a word about the warranty or engine failure--just an ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE.

0520002.jpg

Well, they are right. Maintenance is not a repair.

Doesn't look like they will void your warranty for using an orange can of death. They will just make you pay full price for one of their oil changes first to see if that solves a noise problem.

Burden of proof is still on them to prove that the aftermarket filter caused any engine failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back