BMW THM-4L30E automatic transmission problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GM made THM-4L30E automatic transmission in my 1995 BMW 525i seems to be “shuddering” or stutter shifting slightly when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and again when shifting from 3rd to 4th when warm. Shifting seems fine with the engine cold.

Transmission was last serviced (drain and fill) 18,000 miles ago with Valvoline Dexron VI and new filter. Car now has 198,000 miles with original transmission.

I have heard the tranmission control module and/or solenoids can cause shift issues and the transmission is not failing. Also heard a bad center bearing or driveshaft problem can cause a shudder when shifting.

Any thoughts on what may be the issue?

Originally Posted By: Russell
The GM made THM-4L30E automatic transmission in my 1995 BMW 525i seems to be “shuddering” or stutter shifting slightly when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and again when shifting from 3rd to 4th when warm. Shifting seems fine with the engine cold.

Transmission was last serviced (drain and fill) 18,000 miles ago with Valvoline Dexron VI and new filter. Car now has 198,000 miles with original transmission.

I have heard the tranmission control module and/or solenoids can cause shift issues and the transmission is not failing. Also heard a bad center bearing or driveshaft problem can cause a shudder when shifting.

Any thoughts on what may be the issue? go to www.lubegard.com and read and contact them. great stuff

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
go to www.lubegard.com and read and contact them. great stuff

Fixed it for you, Pal !

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

go to www.lubegard.com and read and contact them. great stuff

Fixed it for you, Pal !

I think he's been drinking..... LOL
grin.gif

On Hondas, this is usually torque converter related. I would try another fluid and filter change to see if it cures the problem.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
On Hondas, this is usually torque converter related. I would try another fluid and filter change to see if it cures the problem.

Might do this. First I will see if there is any reliable way to test the trany. I dont trust most independent trany shops so I may have to visit my BMW dealer for "testing". However, as the car is 16 years old, I have my doubts they have anyone who can really test it.

you trust the dealer more than a tranny shop?
sometimes you can get lucky and actually meet someone honest...Here in NJ i trust my transmission guys but we are an engine shop and one hand washes the other...I would get it scanned first

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
you trust the dealer more than a tranny shop?
sometimes you can get lucky and actually meet someone honest...Here in NJ i trust my transmission guys but we are an engine shop and one hand washes the other...I would get it scanned first

I agree, I just do not know of a trany shop in my area that I can trust. I hear these tranys are hard to rebuild properly??? Not sure why as they have been used in many brands of GM and other vehicles and are well known.

What I hope/want the dealer to do is test/scan the trany. All the indy BMW shops in my area want to put in rebuilt tranys or used tranys. No real testing beyond teh obvious. The dealer wants about $5,000 to put in a BMW rebuilt trany. So you can why I am looking for advice and options.

Last edited:
they are not that well known and were only used in the catera,rodeo, passport, and some bmw's. it is an old opel design with a overdrive shoved between the bell-housing and the trans. it was only manufactured in france, parts are hard to find and rebuilds only seem to last a couple of years. i would try updating the friction modifiers via a fluid change with hfmf or a lubeguard additive. can't hurt anything! mike

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
they are not that well known and were only used in the catera,rodeo, passport, and some bmw's. it is an old opel design with a overdrive shoved between the bell-housing and the trans. it was only manufactured in france, parts are hard to find and rebuilds only seem to last a couple of years. i would try updating the friction modifiers via a fluid change with hfmf or a lubeguard additive. can't hurt anything! mike

Well, perhaps i overstated "well Known".
smile.gif
It was used in a lot of 3 and 5 series BMWs for many years. Good comments regarding parts and rebuilds. I think it was also used in the Chevette as a 3 speed. Lubeguard sounds good. Which one? I believe you mean their "protectant". Thanks.

Last edited:
Thinking about adding Lubegard transmission protectant red bottle to the trany. Frrm what i have seen it might aid shifting.

Seems there are no negative posts on this product. A google search found no real issues, lots of positive comments.

opinions
smile.gif

what ever happened on the tranny fixing.

I added lubegard red about 2,000 miles ago. Shifting seems have improved slightly. I think the trany is just about worn out at 200,000 miles. I will drive till it fails, then repair or replace the trany.

CourierDriver said:
I think the trany is just about worn out at 200,000 miles. I will drive till it fails, then repair or replace the trany.

I spent some years following these things, but I never heard of this particular stutter/shudder deal.

I've heard of reasonably maintained 4L30E's lasting well into the 200K mile range. You'll be about to source a new one easily and fairly reasonably. It's funny because a reman'd one for an Isuzu might be $1000, where one for a BMW is ~$1500. Same trans, although probably TC and slight wiring differences.

The worst part of them is the two downward facing drain and level check ports on the pan and no dipstick.

This unit had a long run. It was used in the Isuzu Rodeo from 1993-2003 and the Trooper, until the end of the Trooper in ~2002.

I've read that it is the 3L30 from the Chevette, updated with electronic controls and the 4th gear adapter housing. Regardless, people flogged them offroading in their Troopers and Rodeos for years and they took the abuse!

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
CourierDriver said:
I think the trany is just about worn out at 200,000 miles. I will drive till it fails, then repair or replace the trany.

I spent some years following these things, but I never heard of this particular stutter/shudder deal.

I've heard of reasonably maintained 4L30E's lasting well into the 200K mile range. You'll be about to source a new one easily and fairly reasonably. It's funny because a reman'd one for an Isuzu might be $1000, where one for a BMW is ~$1500. Same trans, although probably TC and slight wiring differences.

The worst part of them is the two downward facing drain and level check ports on the pan and no dipstick.

This unit had a long run. It was used in the Isuzu Rodeo from 1993-2003 and the Trooper, until the end of the Trooper in ~2002.

I've read that it is the 3L30 from the Chevette, updated with electronic controls and the 4th gear adapter housing. Regardless, people flogged them offroading in their Troopers and Rodeos for years and they took the abuse!

Joel

Could be that my discription of the problem is poor.
smile.gif
I will have my BMW indy fix it when/if needed. I am also considering a local Mom & Pop shop that has said all the right things.

i don't know what bmw recommended but isuzu claimed the merc/dexIII was lifetime fluid, and they tried to push the issue with a "sealed" transmission. this was a disaster for most 4l30e ownners. but 200k on one is great news. i agree i would drive it till it slips and then replace it. it could shudder for another 20,000 miles? mike

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
i don't know what bmw recommended but isuzu claimed the merc/dexIII was lifetime fluid, and they tried to push the issue with a "sealed" transmission. this was a disaster for most 4l30e ownners. but 200k on one is great news. i agree i would drive it till it slips and then replace it. it could shudder for another 20,000 miles? mike

I have done fluid and filter drain and fills-no flush every 30,000 miles or so, starting when I bought the car at about 75,000 miles. The standard fluid in this car when new was Dexron II. I have always used Dexron III synthetic until the last two fills which was Dexron VI Castrol then Valvoline.
I do not believe BMW stated this was a sealed trany in the 5-series until later model years. That said, they seem very quiet about when to change trany fluid for the e34 525i like mine. Go figure.

Last edited:
What about testing the line pressure and replacing /rebuilding the valve body accumulators/springs or anything else that can be reasonably changed out without dropping the trans? Thats a mom and pop shop job.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
What about testing the line pressure and replacing /rebuilding the valve body accumulators/springs or anything else that can be reasonably changed out without dropping the trans? Thats a mom and pop shop job.

Good idea. I like your suggestion. I think I will follow-up on this at my indy and the Mom & Pop shop. Thanks.

BTW, the trany seems to be doing fine with the ocassional "odd" hesitant or delayed shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back