Walmart Supertech Synthetic 5w-30 04 WRX 5k change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is 2004 Subaru WRX 2.0L boxer turbo with 135,000 one owner miles. 100% of it's life has been Stage 1 to Stage 2 to 16G with 5000 mile oil changes. Car now makes 290 WHP and stock was 165 WHP. Why 5000 mile changes? It's easy to remember.

Oil is Walmart Supertech 5w-30.
Oil filter is Walmart Supertech.

This is the [censored] oil I could think of and the total cost to me was $19 or around there for oil and the filter.

Yes, I have fuel in my oil. We are in the throws of spring here (Virginia Beach) so it's playing [censored] on my tune/fuel trims as it adapts to 30 degree mornings and 60/70 degree days, which correspond to my driving times to work. Regardless of that, the [censored] oil in the history of the world is working fine.

ninja.jpg

Code:
OIL WST5w30

MILES IN USE 5k

MILES 135k

SAMPLE TAKEN 03/31/11

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 4

COPPER 1

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 72

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 124

SILICON 5

SODIUM 1

CALCIUM 1985

MAGNESIUM 6

PHOSPHORUS 633

ZINC 760

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0

WATER 0

cSt @ 212ºF 9.5

Osidation 10

Nitration 19

TBN 2.29

Test #2 in a few months will be:

Oil: Renewable Lubricants Bio-Synthetic Super High Performance SAE 5W30
Filter: OEM Subaru

Parts cost total for these: $60

Last edited:
Sheared a bit but nothing to panic about. More proof that most modern oils are actually pretty good.

Have you ever considered the RLI 0w30?

TBN is low for 5k.

Fuel dilution pulled the visc down.

Wear is non-existent. Moly and boron are vitamins your engine likes.

Otherwise, its a perfect UOA.

I would guess no. LONG ago I did a test of Mobil Delvac with similar fuel numbers, but that was when my drive to work was literally 3 miles one way. Now it's 20 one way. Each spring/fall here, the motor gets REAL poppy in the exhaust due to wonky fueling I attribute to the weather. Since I've noticed this every spring and fall since 2003, my concern factor is low.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Is that amount of fuel dilution considered normal for your motor?

+1

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: dparm
Is that amount of fuel dilution considered normal for your motor?

+1

he is running nearly double the sotck horsepower on a custom tune that he said is having difficult adjusting to the different temps, there is where the fuel dilution is coming from.

I have to disagree with you. Supertech is not the worst oil ever made, not even remotely in the same ballpark. In fact, it's pretty good. Not at all surprised it held up ok. Warren has been making the SuperTech band for a while and they have a long history of decent products. Don't let the Wal-Mart logo fool you. If you wanna run the worst oil, go get some Non-API approved "super bargain oils" like U.S. Economy, Pitt Pen or Bullseye (which doesn't seem to have any additives at all) and see what you come up with. Warren/SuperTech makes is a good oil.

Thanks for posting your results. Any API approved oil, in the approriate grade, is good for use. Just get what Quality Oil you can on special and run it for your OCI.

My apologies about the slight to Supertech. See, I'm used to dealing with clowns on the other forum that go with brand names or whatever oil is on the side of the latest cool car on the block. I described it as the worst oil on my Subaru forum as it's fitting for them, but inappropriate here where knowledge lives.
smile.gif

Thanks for the UOA. After those results I'd go back to it on your next OC and pocket the difference. Take the wifey out to dinner or something.

Is this SM or SN?

Personally I think this is an amazing UOA, considering the conditions the oil was subjected to. Low TBN isn't that big of a deal since it isn't an extended drain oil. It may not have depleted so quickly without that fuel dilution.

This is some of the highest Moly and Calicium I have seen with ST Syn. Usually their UOA/VOA don't show this much addative do they?

Last edited:
The ST synthetic is made by Warren Performance Products/Warren Distribution of Nebraska.There is also a Warren oil Company/Warren-Unilube but they are not part of Warren Performance Products(WPP)in any way.

Super Tech dino oils are made by Warren(WPP)and Exxon-Mobil depending on what part of the country you are in.In my area,it is WPP but at the south end of Lexington Ky,it is Exxon-Mobil,at least it was the last time I was at the WM on the south end.

I have used the ST dino made by WPP many times and I have never had any problems with it.

WPP

Originally Posted By: moto94536
well I am in Reno, Nevada.. How do I tell If ST are make by Exxon-Mobil??

Thank for your time...

Look on the bottom of your bottle. That is an amazing UOA and it came from ST oil?!? Goes to show you dont need to pay more to get quality. Those are impressive wear #'s. Need to get my STsyn 5w30 in for a UOA.

Yes, impressive wear numbers especially given the mods and high fuel. Hopefully the numbers are accurate. It will be interesting to see the RLI numbers, although you won't get a proper picture with only one run on it IMO.

19.gif

-Dennis

Nice report. Oil held up well to the fuel. I'd just keep using it at your 5k interval and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back