Blackstone Labs : U.O.A.: 2010 Yaris 3 door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sample of PENNZOIL Y.B. 5w-30(SN/GF-5) from 3/17/2011 and got report today. The sample was took near the end of the drain of oil. The car was bought new and has an external oil leak of the M.L.S. head cylinder gasket of the #1 cylinder. As you can see it doesn't seem to be impacting the engine as of yet. Plan to take sample every 40,000 miles or so. No makeup oil added.

MAKE/MODEL :Toyota 1.5 ltr.(1NZFE)4-cyl
OIL / FILTER : Pennzoil Y.B. 5w-30(SN/GF-5),TOYO 90915-YZZF2
AIR FILTER :TOYO 17801-0T030(factory installed)
OIL / FILTER RUN :11/2/2010 >3/17/'11
MILES ON OIL :4,341
PREVIUOS FILLS OIL/FILTER:SHELL 5w-30 conventional SM/GF-4, TOYO 90915-YZZF2

COMMENTS : The note about the head gasket leaking oil externally is unusual for an engine that has clocked only 16,611 miles. The good news is that we didn't find any signs of coolant making its way into your engines oil. Universal averages show typical wear for TOYOTA's 1.5L engine after about 6,100 miles on the oil. You ran your oil just 4,341 miles and some of the extra metal may still be residual from wear-in. The slightly low viscosity is not a concern, and air filtration looks good at silicon. The TBN was 3.2, plenty of active additive remaining. 1.0 is low. Check back to monitor .

Aluminum :5 U.A.: 3
Chromium 0 U.A. 0
Iron : 14 U.A. 8
Copper : 1 U.A. 2
Lead : 0 U.A. 1
Tin : 2 U.A. 1
Moly : 219 U.A. 87
Nickel : 0 U.A. 0
Manganese : 0 U.A. 0
Silver : 0 U.A. 0
Titanium : 0 U.A. 1
Potassium : 0 U.A. 3
Boron : 74 U.A. 42
Silicon : 16 U.A. 15
Sodium : 3 U.A. 13
Calcium : 2185 U.A. 2504
Magnesium : 8 U.A. 66
Phosphorus : 690 U.A. 781
Zinc : 810 U.A. 861
Barium : 1 U.A. 0

SUS Visc @ 210 F : 53.2 Values Should be : 55-62
cSt Visc. @ 100 C : 8.24 V.S.B. : 8.8 - 11.1
Flashpoint in F : 415 V.S.B. : > 365
Fuel % : Antifreeze % : 0.0 V.S.B. : 0.0
Water % : 0.0 V.S.B. : < 0.1
Insolubles % : 0.3 V.S.B. : < 0.7
T.B.N. : 3.2

Code:

MAKE/MODEL

Toyota 1.5 ltr.(1NZFE) 4-cyl

OIL/FILTER

Pennzoil Y.B. 5w-30 ( SN/GF-5 ) , TOYO 90915-YZZF2

AIR FILTER

TOYO 17801-0T030 ( factory installed )

OIL/FILTER RUN

11/2/2010 > 3/17/'11

MILES ON OIL 4,341

Aluminum 5

Chromium 0

Iron 14

Copper 1

Lead 0

Tin 2

Moly 219

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 74

Silicon 16

Sodium 3

Calcium 2185

Magnesium 8

Phosphorus 690

Zinc 810

Barium 1

SUS Visc @ 210 F 53.2

cSt Visc. @ 100 C 8.24

Flashpoint in F 415

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles 0.3

T.B.N. 3.2

Now using SHELL full synthetic 5w-30 ( SN/GF-5 ) and a TOYO oil filter. Plan to do a UOA in late April/early May for the 2008 YARIS sedan that had the head cylinder gasket replaced under warranty at 23,747 mis. due to the same oil leak from the #1 cylinder. No leak so far. Car was bought new. The people of BLACKSTONE are very prompt, helpful, and courteous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive add-pack on that new SN/GF-5 PYB.

Little bit bothered by the excessive shearing - it's well into the range of a 20-weight oil.

Seems it would be a good oil to run in my 20-spec'd Duratec V-6...I'd end up with the viscosty I needed at the end, anyway!

I wonder if the 2+mile climb of a steep hill about everyday would have an impact on the shearing of the oil?

Originally Posted By: odie
I wonder if the 2+mile climb of a steep hill about everyday would have an impact on the shearing of the oil?

There are many things that could account for the shearing. I'm sure the dino oil is just barely holding up to the abuse you put it through with your 2+ mile climbs up the mountain. Haha.

Code:

MAKE/MODEL

Toyota 1.5 ltr.(1NZFE) 4-cyl

OIL/FILTER

Pennzoil Y.B. 5w-30 ( SN/GF-5 ) , TOYO 90915-YZZF2

AIR FILTER

TOYO 17801-0T030 ( factory installed )

OIL/FILTER RUN

11/2/2010 > 3/17/'11

MILES ON OIL 4,341

Aluminum 5

Chromium 0

Iron 14

Copper 1

Lead 0

Tin 2

Moly 219

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 74

Silicon 16

Sodium 3

Calcium 2185

Magnesium 8

Phosphorus 690

Zinc 810

Barium 1

SUS Visc @ 210 F 53.2

cSt Visc. @ 100 C 8.24

Flashpoint in F 415

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles 0.3

T.B.N. 3.2

First U.O.A. , 1st post of one . Sorry for the inconvenience . Not all that difficult to follow . It's the thought that counts , so others can see wear results of the 1.5L from TOYOTA .

" There are many things that could account for the shearing. I'm sure the dino oil is just barely holding up to the abuse you put it through with your 2+ mile climbs up the mountain. Haha. "

Aware this is only part of the shearing . Can you find more faults ? HaHa

UOA aside...Is the car not under warranty or something? Why isn't the issue of the leaking head gasket(!!?) fixed?

UOA aside...Is the car not under warranty or something? Why isn't the issue of the leaking head gasket(!!?) fixed? "

Long story . See our other posts for explanation. May get it fixed under warranty when ready. Have the PLATINUM warranty of 7 year /125,000 miles with 0 deductible through TOYOTA.

odie,

If I'm not mistaken you are also on YarisWorld, correct?

The shearing is mostly the result of the fuel present in your oil that Blackstone's methods are not sensative enough to pick up. Using a more sensitive method such as those employed by Polaris/OAI and Dyson would probably reveal fuel in excess of 1%. Mine typically runs about 1.5%. Not abnormal. The shearing is really no fault of the oil.

How many miles on the vehicle at time of sampling? What mileage for first oil change? Hoe long were your previous oil runs?

Thanks for posting!

REDDOG

Hopefully the shell will do better - I didnt have much luck with my first try of PYB. You engine is still breaking in too - wil on that puppy. Also try a Delco filter, they work well here.

Last edited:
Thank you stubbakatt for reposting the UOA. That PYB in SN is impressive. I think Ill be using that from now on and stop wasting my money on worthless "synthetic."

" If I'm not mistaken you are also on YarisWorld, correct? "

Yes .Both of us .

" Mine typically runs about 1.5%. Not abnormal. The shearing is really no fault of the oil."

Thanks , that's good to know . I drove it about 15 miles ( 2 mile climb of steep hill included ) before draining the oil for the change and to get the sample . Maybe that helped to dissolve some of the fuel that may have been in the oil .

" How many miles on the vehicle at time of sampling? "

4,341 on this interval and 16,611 total miles at that time .

" What mileage for first oil change? "

1st was Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and TOYO oil filter at 975 miles .

" How long were your previous oil runs? "

On average 3,700 miles , give or take . Due to break in period of engine , cheap prices of oil , and the warranty .

Thanks for posting!

REDDOG

Welcome .

Plan to do an oil analysis for the '08 sedan in late April to mid May . That too had oil leaking from the H.C.G. of the #1 cylinder which was replaced at 23,747 miles in the 1st week of September . No oil to be found so far . The M.L.S. H.C.G. that replaced the factory installed H.C.G. seems to be thicker . The factory installed H.C.G. that leaks oil in the 2010 feels thinner than the newly installed one in the '08 sedan . Is that likely ? We tried to get the part numbers of the factory installed H.C.G. and the replacemnt H.C.G. of the '08 sedan but we were told by the Toyota service manager and Toyota customer relations they were not available . We only have the number for the whole H.C.G. replacement kit ( gasket # not included ) from the worksheet which is #04112-21231. Feel free to fill us in . Thanks .

Last edited:
Forgot to mention I discovered the same oil leak for both at 17,803 miles for the '08 sedan and 3,467 miles on the 2010 3 door when doing an oil change for '08 sedan on March 20th , 2010 .

" Hopefully the shell will do better - I didnt have much luck with my first try of PYB. Your engine is still breaking in too - wil on that puppy. Also try a Delco filter, they work well here. "

Thanks . Did use the AC/DELCO filter in the past for a '03 MATRIX and 2000 Prizm . Have thought about that for the YARIS . We can get the TOYO oil filter for $3.50 . Sometimes including the crush washers . May get an AC/DELCO when I see it on sale .

It's nice to see my fellow Yaris Drivers! I am currently running PYB SN with OEM filters and will probably change it in mid May or June. It will be about 34000 miles or six months.

Originally Posted By: shadow7
It's nice to see my fellow Yaris Drivers! I am currently running PYB SN with OEM filters and will probably change it in mid May or June. It will be about 34000 miles or six months.

What he said! I'm not a Yaris driver, but my wife and I do have a 2004 Echo 5-Door (Canada-market model) so I follow these Yaris threads pretty closely. Ours currently has 84k miles (135000 kms) on the odometer and I just sent off its very first UOA to Blackstone. I'll post the results here as soon as I get them. Currently using Toyota 5W/30 with Toyota filters. Not sure how many miles on the oil I sent in for analysis as I apparently didn't enter that LOF mileage or date into my maintenance log. It's either got 6,000 or 8,000 miles on that run. Just curious to see how well the Toyota oil holds up as I'd also like to use it in our new Subaru Outback 2.5i.

The more the merrier .
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back