boron 52
silicon 47
sodium 5
calcium 2315
magnesium 476
phosphorus 1245
zinc 1485
barium 0

MATT: Silicon read high in the initial sample from your Saturn. This is can come from dirt getting past your air filter, so we suggest checking this out. If that looks good, then it is from something else, like silicone spray lubricants or oil additives and not a problem. All wear looks great. Universal averages show normal wear after 3,000-4,000 miles on the oil. The 15W/40 is an unusual choice of oils, though
it appears to be doing a great job in your engine. A longer oil use would not be a problem. Try 5,000 next sample. Other than the silicon, we have no problem to report.

just proof that 15w40 is not too much for a saturn engine.....

--Matt

[ July 04, 2003, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: mkosem ]

ahh yes, I forgot about the info on the bottom of the report.

SUS @ 210F: 72.8
Flashpoint(F): 450
Fuel%: Antifreeze%: 0.0
Water%: 0.0
Insolubles%: 0.5

sorry about that.

--Matt

agh, missed another piece of info. The car has 168k miles on it and runs great. And I drive it like I stole it every time I drive it(go's the the redline multiple times every day and continuous 80+mph driving every day as well).

--Matt

[ July 04, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: mkosem ]

I just went out and purchased a purolator premium plus filter for my car. Hopefully that will help the Si.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
I just went out and purchased a purolator premium plus filter for my car. Hopefully that will help the Si.

--Matt

Strange that the Al wasn't higher. Check the duct from the filter to the intake close. Maybe this leak just happened. I am concerned about that high number in a high milage engine. Check the PVC valve
frown.gif

the intake setup on the TBI sohc saturn engines like mine has one big container that houses the throttle body and air filter, with a tube to pull air that go's behind a headlight. I'll check the seal on the PCV as well. Why does that amount of SI in a "high milesge" engine concern you more than any other engine? Also, I nearly forgot to sample the oil when it was draining and ended up taking the sample after the majority of the oil was out, that wouldn't affect it would it?

--Matt

Cool info, thanks. Especially since the manual on my 95 Saturn warns of dire consequences of using thicker oils "such as 20W50." The 40 still seems to be OK. I always wondered what the worry was. Theories I had heard was that the oil passage for lubricating the timing chain was very small and a thicker oil would result in poor chain lube. But the this was an internet sourced rumor so....

I assume you went to 40 to reduce oil use? Mine is at 136k. Extremely durable and reliable car. But oil thirsty; mine has used about 1 quart / 1110 mile for the last 36k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back