An article on Subaru oil change intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking poor writing and factual issues.
wink.gif

LOL, I've been changing my oil every 7000 miles, with Mobil 1, all highway miles, 90 mile roundtrip commute. I recently had my valve cover gaskets replaced and you could eat off of my valves. If you drive like me, this article is complete garbage. Plus, a huge waste of money with synthetic at 3K intervals.

" if you use your Subaru or any other car you drive in any fashion other than starting it up getting on the freeway where you travel at freeway speeds until you reach your destination where you shut it off and then repeat this use in this fashion the majority of the time you drive it, than you do not fall into the normal maintenance schedule."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I'm thinking poor writing and factual issues.
wink.gif

I am thinking the same--spell and grammar check went out the window on that article...

I put this up to see what your opinions were. Keep them coming! I have been using 5000 mile OCI's since day 1, and I have been using PP 5w-40 European and Rotella T6 5w-40. No problems at all.

Last edited:
Ours gets some kind of syn every 5-6K.
My understanding is that Subarus may do better with a little thicker oil (like GC), but are generally pretty easy on oil.
Unless the car were always short-tripped, I don't think anything less than 5-6K would be required.
Most NAs could probably do the 7.5K Subaru requires.
The filter is tiny, but so are many on newer vehicles.
Anyway, as anyone who's ever cut open a filter can tell you, there isn't much to filter out after the first oil change.

The engine in the ALLWHELLS... article would appear to have used a very poor quality oil. In addition; the poorly written article does not give confidence in the information contained. My 2000 Forester was sold running like new at 127.000 miles running Mobil1 5w30 & OEM or PureOne filters that were changed every 6,000 miles. I did replace O-ring spark plug seals at ~ 100,000 and no varnish or sludge was evident as it was a clean motor.

Note that the article does not say what oil was used.
Yes, Subaru does have a small filter, but the crankcase only holds less than 5 qt. of oil. (4 cyl)
I mostly go 5000 miles between changes with no problems.
I think maybe this guy wants to do a lot of oil changes and other work when he get your car in his shop.

That guy knows little. Oil analysis is designed to show whether the oil is suitable for continued service and if there is excess wear in the engine. Filter clogging and bypassing is shown by a rise in the insolubles in the oil sample. Sludge build up is shown by a rise in the oxidation of the oil. Fuel dilution is shown by its test. Etc., etc.

Keep in mind that his customers likely lie to him about the excellent care they take of their cars and how the sludge mysteriously appeared....

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Keep in mind that his customers likely lie to him about the excellent care they take of their cars and how the sludge mysteriously appeared....

Wouldn't be the first time, or the last...

Wonder what he thinks now that Subaru went to 7,500 mile intervals on the 2011 turbos? There some other inaccuracies on that site as well (about the Tokyo Roki filters). Most people will think all of the opinions on that site are facts.

-Dennis

Well I am closing on 5k miles with AFE 0w30, I think this weekend I'll change it if I can find some time. I can't comment on how it held up the UOA will prove that. I can say I drove it like I always do on the Stage 1 93oct tune, like a bat out of [censored] and the engine didn't seem to care.

Last edited:
UOA on my '09 Outback 2.5i (non turbo) showed like-new, no problem whatsoever w/ Mobil 1 after 4,000 miles and dealer synth (? Castrol IIRC?) after 7,500 interval.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back