Amsoil XL 5w-30 '07 Saturn Outlook 5k on oil 72k

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part I think this looks OK. These cars are hard on oil. Boron is probably off due to the
car throwing the belt off then the engine
temp. got up to 250 degrees until got to a
place to safely shut down. Chime in anyone.
Code:
OIL 5w30

MILES IN USE 5.3k

MILES 72.1k

SAMPLE TAKEN 3/1/11

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 11

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 51

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 99

SILICON 13

SODIUM 24

CALCIUM 0

MAGNESIUM 13

PHOSPHORUS 691

ZINC 772

BARIUM 0

FUEL 2.7%

WATER
SOOT
TBN TOTAL BASE 2.29

VIS 100C CS 9.7

COMMENTS FROM OIL ANALYZERS INC.:Total Base Number is SIGNIFICANTLY LOW;

FUEL DILUTION is at a MODERATE LEVEL; FUEL DILUTION possibly caused by excessive idling;

Boron is slightly low for this lubricant;

Please provide unit Manufacturer/Model in order to

compare data to proper standards for this unit;

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ponchonutty
For the most part I think this looks OK.

Assuming there is no lab error then you are being too modest i.e. this is a spectacular report eg 0 for Cu, Pb and Sn?
shocked.gif

This great report begs the question: How would this particular Amsoil oil do in the corresponding 3.6 L DI engine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rbarrios
if im not mistaken- I think I read about your serpentine belt popping off--- I think due to maybe snow buildup in that area?

Haha, yup. That was me. GM actually gave me new wheel well covers that have an extra flap that helps keep the belt covered up. Ironically they gave me both right and left sides for some reason

Oops, Calcium is 3159. How do I change my original post. Sorry, a newbie here on this site and don't have all the tweeks worked out here

Unless the engine got seriously pig rich when it overheated, fuel dilution is too high for a non-DI. Wear doesn't look like it was bothered by the fuel which is a testament to the toughness of Amsoil.

To the floor constantly boy!
crazy.gif
Seriously I do drive spirited but only after fully warmed. I don't abuse my vehicles but do occasionly blow the carbon out. In the cold months I do remote start the vehicle usually for about 2-5 minutes prior to driving. Many times the vehicle does idle a lot. I use this vehicle for my business so I drive a lot. Usually 300-500 miles a week. When it is cold outside I do paperwork inside while it idles but normally not more than 10-15 minutes at a time.

I would say this is a very good report, that is really hot for an engine to get! the fuel could be from starting the car to move it before the oil change accompanied by not getting up to temp on previous drive/s, oh and I see you idle a lot...bingo. Either way tough oil!

Is this the new SN version? It looks like it should be, did the bottles have a big XL on the front?

Last edited:
No I didn't idle it before oilchange. I had drove it about 20 miles, parked it for about 10minutes and drained it without restart.

Yes, it had the XL on the front of the bottles.

Is this the new SN/GF-5 XL?

I'm guessing it is, b/c of the Ca over 3,000ppm - before it was 2200-2400ppm.

Oil held grade well, but I'm disappointed by only 2.2 TBN after only 5k miles!

Well, the only 2 things I can think of with the TBN number being what it is is this engine is known to wreck oil bad! It's so bad infact that GM is recalibrating the OLM because they feel the stretched timing chain issue is due to oil change intervals too far apart.

The other reason is on this vehicle. When the serpentine belt fell off it took me a while to be able to turn it off. The engine temp gauge was in the red (250+ degrees). By the time I got to shut it down I could hear the coolant bubbling
frown.gif
I thought I would be ok since it was 8 degrees out and only had to travel about 3/4 of a mile. This was due to snow and ice buildup

Direct Injection.

The higher-performance versions of this engine are DI (think Caddy CTS)

Was this brand-new Amsoil XL?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Direct Injection.

The higher-performance versions of this engine are DI (think Caddy CTS)

Was this brand-new Amsoil XL?

Yes it was. Also, this Saturn Outlook is the XR version so it has the higher HP motor if that means anything or not. Did some quick searching and it looks like GM didn't use the DI until '09.

Thanks for posting the UOA - was very curious how XL now fit between Amsoil 'OE' and Amsoil 'ASL/ATM'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back