Lubro Moly 5W-40 VW 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my second interval with Lubro Moly 5W-40 and the second analysis with this oil in this engine. I was satisfied with the previous results, but I decided to get it analyzed given the absolute harsh winter we had here in New England and the general trend of elevated wear rates during this time period. The temps were very cold and this oil witnessed the entire winter (Nov-Mar). This sample was from one of the kits I purchased from Bob, so naturally the analysis was done by Schaeffer Oil. Driving is 80/20 highway/city. Per Terry's recommendation from my previous analysis I purchased some Fuel Power. I was pretty diligent adding it to just about every tank fill per the recommended dosage. If I'm reading this right it looks like Fuel Power is doing a pretty good job given those oxidation and nitration figures?

Sample : #2
Oil : Lubro Moly 5w-40
Car miles : 34,500
Miles on oil: 6,500
Air Filter: ITG foam air filter
---------------------------------------------------------
TBN: N/A
Vis @100Deg C: 12.34
Oxidation : 14
Nitration : 32
Percnt Glycol: .0
---------------------------------------------------------
Metals
Iron : 10
Aluminum : 2
Chromium : 0
Copper : 3
Lead : 0
Tin : n/a
Nickel : n/a
Silver : n/a
Silicon : 7
Sodium : n/a
Boron : n/a
Zinc : 854
Phosphorus : 1058
Calcium : 1087
Magnesium : 349
Molybdenum : 0
Vanadium : n/a

Not a 40wt anymore. It's thinned to a high 30wt.

And why would an oil called "Lubro Moly" have no moly in it?

Even though it's thinned out, it is indeed protecting the engine very well. Those wear numbers are very good, iron is very low considering the harsh winter, and a lead wear of zero is always nice to see!

Another low lead level with 40 wt. I know its not brain science but when you look back over past UOI's you see that heavier oils yield low lead numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back