"Mobil Special" for US retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC they used to have a bulk oil "Mobil Clean" that was different from the bottled 5000 formulation. It was alleged here to be very close to Exxon Superflo.

If you want to see if this is wally's stuff, check for older API certs on the 10w40 and 20w50.

Yes I agree you would assume Mobil is trying to get every buyer that is looking for oil. Could be a smart move shelf space wise too. Time will tell. I find Super Tech at times is not really stocked that well. Sometimes the syn flavor is only 10-30.
Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
I came across the PDS for Mobil Special motor oils on the Mobil web site.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Special.aspx

This seems to be a lower quality oil (4000 mile warranty vs. 5000 for Mobil Super). For those of us in the northeast, I suspect that the SN rated Supertech is probably equivalent to this.

This sounds like a great oil for bodegas and convenience stores where someone wants "just oil." Will probably compete head to head against Formula Shell. "Hey, it's a brand name I've heard of."

Would be goofy to sell in walmart opposite supertech, but you never know.

Is this just going to be the bulk oil that replaces Mobil Clean? If so, it won't be available in bottles, only at oil change places and dealerships.

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
I came across the PDS for Mobil Special motor oils on the Mobil web site.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Special.aspx

This seems to be a lower quality oil (4000 mile warranty vs. 5000 for Mobil Super). For those of us in the northeast, I suspect that the SN rated Supertech is probably equivalent to this.

This begs the question, at least to me, are there any differences between same grades of the Warren ST vs the Mobil ST?

I just saw this Mobil Special at a Target in the Twin Cities. 5/30 quarts were 2.49.

I was actually in there to see if they were clearing out Formula Shell, but they were not.

I have wondered what is going to replace Mobil Clean as well. Mobil made Super Tech has been the nearly the same as Exxon Superflo from VOA but Clean 5000 is different with a higher TBN from VOA. Note that PQIA tested these three retail oils recently as well as Advance and Autozone house brands.

Yes, I just saw this at Target tonight as well. I wonder with FS and PYB being clearanced out, if "Mobil Special" is taking over the cheap oil for the price at Target? Typically I see Mobil1's standard grades of 5w-30, 10w-30/40 etc, as well as PYB and FS.

I am just bumping this thread becuase I ran into this at my local Target while looking for the PYB and FS. Its funny because it is in a blue bottle and looks to be a bit sketchy. It states right on the lable that it meets vehicle requirements but gives the impression that it does the bare basics to meet these specs.

I doubt WM will end up carrying it since it would compete with the ST too much and the price point probably isn't as good on the Special as ST is. Plus the difference between the MC5k or whatever it is called now at 5k compared to the Special at 4k, its probably a stupid buy unless you are using it for a quick flush or etc.... then what about the add pack and its cleaning ability, it may be worth to spend a little more for the 5k or etc....

Went in to Target at lunch to check on their dwindling automotive section and ran across this Mobil Special. I bought a quart of 30wt for $2.99 and will run it in the mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back