2000 BMW 528i--15,000 miles on BMW/Castrol 5W-30 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil analysis from my dad's car. I wasn't sure what oil they were using at the dealer, so I left that part blank on the order sheet. Later, I found out it's the BMW/Castrol "High Performance Synthetic" 5W-30. Someone at Blackstone must have thought it was a 15W/50 (as listed on the report), but on the re-order sheets they correctly listed it as a 5W-30.

SUS viscosity @ 210'F seems high at 78.6?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jason

ps- This oil is not Syntec, right?

-

Pretty decent results despite the oil thickening. I personally would try to run a shorter interval next time, say 7500 miles. -Joe

Your dad doesn't drive very hard does he? I say this because in 15k he's only got 2ppm of lead (bearing wear)

15k was probably too far on this oil.

Dad drives moderately I suppose? The car sees probably 60% city/40% hwy. Some people automatically classify operation in NYC suburbs as "severe" though.

The car has an automatic which is programmed to shift pretty early to take advantage of the engine's torque. Typically it shifts before 3,000 rpm, unless you really floor it, or use "sports mode", and dad never does.

The oil looks kinda nasty, but he trusts the on-board maintenance computer which has been calling for oil changes about every 15,000 miles. The next oil change is coming up in a month or two, I'll have that analyzed and keep you guys posted.

I was thinking, perhaps some AutoRx is in order, but the car has no problems, and why fix something that ain't broke?

The car runs great--it doesn't leak, it burns no oil, it runs smoothly, and passes NYS annual emissions tests with flying colors..

thanks,
Jason

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:

I was thinking, perhaps some AutoRx is in order, but the car has no problems, and why fix something that ain't broke?

With 50k on the clock though, it wouldn't hurt to put in some Auto-rx. Even if the engine might appear to be clean, I'd bet you'd see an improvement in future UOAs after using this product. By using it you'll then know for sure that the engine is clean and that the oil can do it's job more effectively.

Great numbers. Oil is worn out though. You are a high 40 wt. probably 10K miles would have been better. I am not trying to sound intelligent, but obviously that would have been a more suitable interval.

quadrun1 what is the sump size of this car?
confused.gif
I think that needs to be taken into consideration when looking at ppm concentrations.

Like the others here, I wouldn't go over 10,000 miles on this oil. It's none of my business, but if you can afford a BMW, you should be able to afford a more regular maintenance schedule.
dunno.gif

How much does that oil typically retail for at the dealership? I wonder if there are better alternatives available?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
what is the sump size of this car?
confused.gif
I think that needs to be taken into consideration when looking at ppm concentrations.

7 quarts

Greg: Group 4 synthetic? Really? Some BMW dealerships sell this stuff for as low as $3.80 per quart!

It's one of the few 5W-30s I've seen that are rated ACEA A3.

Al, Joee, Patman, et al: 15,000 miles does seem long to me, and at first I found it shocking, so that's why I sampled and tested it a while back..

An interim oil change at 7,500 miles sounds good, exactly midway between the computer's recommendations.

Changing at 10,000 miles means oil change intervals would be way out of whack with the maintenance computer's intervals...

Bror, as for affording maintenance on a BMW, yes, you're correct, but many BMW dealerships will actually tell you you're wasting your money changing the oil more often than what the computer calls for! Go figure...

thanks,
Jason

This car has never been up to Canada, and is only filled with Shell Premium...

The oil is the typical brownish yellow, a bit darker than, say, M1 5W-30.

I read Castrol SLX 0W-30 is greenish? Is that true?

Jason,
Sorry, I was not recalling correctly. Here's one of the latest BMW/Castrol oil threads. Seems like the consensus really is that it's a Grp3. I don't know what I was think about...
blush.gif

Sounds like that's what's in those bottles of A3 rated Saab 5W-30, doesn't it? Maybe Mobil's making the same stuff for Euro distribution only?

quote:

I read Castrol SLX 0W-30 is greenish? Is that true?

Yep! I just poured 4L of this stuff into my sister's car today and it is indeed green (it's more of a golden/green actually). In Canada this oil is sold under the Syntec name (in 0w30 form only, all other viscosities are US made oil)

quote:

Might manganese showing up in the UOA mean that Shell is putting the controversial additive MMT in the gas here?

on the canadian UOA's it is. (MMT - methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl - is a permitted gas additive here)

[ March 26, 2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Greg ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back