Audi S4 01E Manual Trans...OEM 75W90 fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed I realize that this is most likely double the mileage for a recommended change interval but it was something had never been at the top of my 'to-do' list. The new fill was a mix of Redline MTL/MT-90. I may take a sample this summer to see what type of numbers I get. Thanks for looking.

Trans%20Report%2001-14-2011.jpg

Is that too crazy/bad/off? Tough to say. Could it be improved? Maybe... By much? Doubtful.

I would do it more like 3/36 though.

I hate when they state TR instead of an actual number.

Did you have vehicle since it was new? original clutch?
Is the drain plug magnetic? What did it look like?
Appearance of old fluid?

TBN/TAN would've been interesting.

If 75w90 is required, why not just run MT90?

The numbers are too low for the mileage and viscosity. Makes you wonder how accurate Blackstone is, or if gear oil was changed during another service or repair.

After having used 2 types of GL-4 75w90 in my Nissan 6 speed, I can say with confidence the Amsoil MTG is 100% superior to the Redline MT-90. Just wanted to share this if you switch again.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I hate when they state TR instead of an actual number.

Did you have vehicle since it was new? original clutch?
Is the drain plug magnetic? What did it look like?
Appearance of old fluid?

TBN/TAN would've been interesting.

If 75w90 is required, why not just run MT90?

The numbers are too low for the mileage and viscosity. Makes you wonder how accurate Blackstone is, or if gear oil was changed during another service or repair.

I've had the car since 2005 and 110k mi. Original clutch, turbos and fluid as far as I know. No records indicate otherwise, unless they were misplaced. Drain plug is factory and not magnetic. Fluid looked like used motor oil but with a gear oil odor.

The reason for running the mixture of MT-90 and MTL is to improve shifting in cold weather. If I didn't see temps below the 20s in winter I would most likely run straight MT-90 or possibly the Amsoil equivalent.

I'll do another change around 275k mi and we'll see how those numbers compare. I'd be willing to bet these are accurate for the full mileage on the car.

jakecro -
Redline now makes a 75-85 intermediate fluid. Probably because so many people were mixing!

I bought some and have yet to put it in.

I ran straight MT90 in my 2000 S4 (Houston TX)and it did great. I only ran my car for 134,000miles and then sold it. Really loved that car, but the cost of repairs was getting to darn HIGH!

Last edited:
Quote:
I would do it more like 3/36 though.

Me too. Definatley time for an oil change.

I suspect they changed the oil before you bought it.

Even so, wear is still good at say 2 to 5 ppm/1k.

The low viscosity is most likely due to the shearing of the oil over time. Most MT fluids start out around 14.5 cSt.

MT's seem to be shear oil worse than AT's.

Did you notice any metal chunks, glitter, specs, etc. that settled to the bottom after you poured it out of your drain pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back