Castrol Edge with SPT information vs Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds to me like Syntec and Edge are merging (no more Syntec as we know it). This is in contrast to Mobil who just came out with a lower (cheaper) line of full synthetics (Mobil Super Synthetic) and even Pennzoil who have PP and PU.

This is very confusing to me. I understand that with new regulations, oil companies need to change their oils, but the "wear factor" (which I felt I confirmed by UOA) is why I changed to Edge. To me, the fact that this oil no longer has these qualities, is a betrayer.

So, they will maintain Edge as their best oil, whatever that means. I understand, but may rethink my decision to use Edge.

Here is their section on this fact:

"6. Why does Castrol EDGE no longer claim 8x greater wear protection than
Mobil 1?
The industry is undergoing many formula changes due to a new spec called
GF-5 (see GF-5 FAQs). As a result, many of our formulas and the formulas
of our competitors are changing. Therefore, the formulas in the marketplace
are no longer the same so the claim is no longer valid. Castrol will test the
new formulas to continue to demonstrate superior product performance."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
This is very confusing to me. I understand that with new regulations, oil companies need to change their oils, but the "wear factor" (which I felt I confirmed by UOA) is why I changed to Edge. To me, the fact that this oil no longer has these qualities, is a betrayer.

So, they will maintain Edge as their best oil, whatever that means. I understand, but may rethink my decision to use Edge.

I took this to mean that they simply hadn't retested against Mobil1's GF-5 formula, or that Mobil1 had improved with the change to GF-5. I doubt the new Edge is worse than the old.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

Here is their section on this fact:

"6. Why does Castrol EDGE no longer claim 8x greater wear protection than
Mobil 1?
The industry is undergoing many formula changes due to a new spec called
GF-5 (see GF-5 FAQs). As a result, many of our formulas and the formulas
of our competitors are changing. Therefore, the formulas in the marketplace
are no longer the same so the claim is no longer valid. Castrol will test the
new formulas to continue to demonstrate superior product performance."

What you will see is all the oil formulations are going to change, every one. Every company had to tweak or change formulations to meet the new specifications, if they are to be API certified. I'd recommend holding off until you see the new specs of any oil you're considering.

I'm wondering if SN GF5 is actually better than the old spec or not. I'm just as puzzled as you are!

I saw this new EDGE with SPT (the old Syntec) at WM a little while ago and I think I was wrong with my earlier post.
This appears to be Castrol's synthetic that falls below EDGE (in the gold bottle). This new 'Syntec Edge' or rather 'Edge Syntec' is in a black bottle like the old Syntec but now is SN/GF5 and dexos1 rated. It is $21 for the 5 quart jug at my WM which is very good for a dexos1 oil (which it says right on the label unlike PP and QSUD).
I wonder if it's still a 'thin' 5w30 like the old Syntec?
Has anybody seen the PDS's?

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
It's also good to know that they confirm GC is not changing.

Only the label is changing.. it will be "SN" though?

This, and "5W-50." Its replacing Syntec 20W-50.. OFFICIALLY. Has unofficially for some time
thumbsup2.gif

but if its SN and carries no ACEA cert, HOW can it be "High in ZDDP" lik ethey claim?
Unless its API SL.....

?

I hope the link i provided is stating what they are doing. Thought it would clarify, since i try to keep afloat of these things.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperFast

I doubt it, since GC is not SM to start with.

With 5w-50, SM or not, the phosphorous limits are different at that grade than they are, say, for a 5w-30 or a 5w-20. So, ZDDP can be higher in 5w-50, but not staggeringly so.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I doubt it, since GC is not SM to start with.

With 5w-50, SM or not, the phosphorous limits are different at that grade than they are, say, for a 5w-30 or a 5w-20. So, ZDDP can be higher in 5w-50, but not staggeringly so.

10-4
thumbsup2.gif
I liek that oil for myc ar, due to the zinc. And i dont have to fret with "Royal Purple" though id still hunt down an additive for ZDDP. My car needs it its an 84.

Also they are re-labelign Edge...........

10-4
thumbsup2.gif
I liek that oil for myc ar, due to the zinc. And i dont have to fret with "Royal Purple" though id still hunt down an additive for ZDDP. My car needs it its an 84.

Also they are re-labelign Edge...........

Well, if you like ZDDP, there are plenty of options, albeit not as convenient as grabbing PYB right off the shelf, unfortunately. There are plenty of conventional and synthetic HDEOs out there. In Canada, we're lucky enough to be able to get 5w-30 HDEO. You should be able to get Rotella in 10w-30 down there, which would do the trick. For synthetics, GC and RP immediately spring to mind, but there are plenty of others, I'm sure, that fit the bill.

Others go the ZDDP additive route, but I find the cost too high to use much beyond a break in period. As far as I'm concerned, HDEO does the trick and at a sensible cost. There's no need to make the issue more complex than need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back