Honda 3.5 Oil Pan Drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If I had to pay someone to clean that mess up I’d shorten OCI’s and be sure to run a pint of MMO for every OCI or at the very least the lat 1000-1500 miles of it." JMO

DITTO.

I would go with full 3K mile OCI's with PYB/pureone filter and MMO. 3 times with this should clean it up pretty nice. Make sure you get a nice 30-45 minute run each week. After these 3 OCI's, I would then go with Edge or Ultra for 5K OCI's max. Good luck...

Last edited:
wow, i hope it works out!! thank you for sharing

it really peaves me that someone with no knowledge can pass judgment and say what kind of oil it had put in it or how long.
i read both threads and i didnt see any info that tells me it was dino with 10k ocis. maybe syn isnt all its cracked up to be....

That looks absolutely EVIL.

I don't know how much credit I'd give to Kreen, either. It may be working, or the clean spots in the pan may just be where the oil pours through the openings in the windage tray and keeps sludge from piling up, too.

I say again.. EVIL.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I don't know how much credit I'd give to Kreen, either. It may be working, or the clean spots in the pan may just be where the oil pours through the openings in the windage tray and keeps sludge from piling up, too.

I say again.. EVIL.

i bet an after pic would make a believer out of ya

Hey Trav

Do you think it would pay to install a bi-pass filter system on that engine?

Even the pick-up screen looks like there's gunk stuck in it...hope you cleaned that before bolting the pan back up...

But wow, follow the OEM recommendation....and end up with that!!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Even the pick-up screen looks like there's gunk stuck in it

I was thinking the same thing, but he said it wasn't plugged. That's very good news for others worried about Kreen causing a blockage because it seems to work so fast compared to arx.

Interesting to see the amount of oil left in the pan with the drain plug removed. I've always kinda wondered about those side mounted drain plugs.

Longer OCIs and short runs obviously played a major role in this. I'll bet a weekly hour long highway run would have prevented a good portion of this.

Trav, what oil are you using for the next clean-up run with Kreen?

BTW, very nice write up, appreciate the pics and info, well done
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Hey Trav

Do you think it would pay to install a bi-pass filter system on that engine?

Honestly i don't know,it may but without some point of reference from another engine its anybody's guess.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Even the pick-up screen looks like there's gunk stuck in it...hope you cleaned that before bolting the pan back up...

It will be spotless when it goes back together.
This is a better shot of the screen,there is some deposits but it is for the most part clear.

sam0083c.jpg

Originally Posted By: steveSRT8
Looks like a short hopper to me.

Yes it is and lots of them,mostly always never up to operating temp.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
what oil are you using for the next clean-up run with Kreen?

Probably QS green or PYB. Its hard to see down the fill hole from the pictures but believe me it was so much worse before the 1K with Kreen,although it looks horrible the stuff is really working well i promise,my old eyes still don't lie to me.

I remember many years ago, the thought was take the mfg recommended OCI and cut it in half. Looks like in this case that same school of thinking might have paid off. LOL

I agree with others about using something like PYB, personally I'd use Valvoline MaxLife, and dropping it no more than 3k miles for about 3 oil changes w/ the use of a filter like PureONE.

Towards the end of each change, regardless, I'd either use Kreen once more etc, but after this process continue to use something like MMO for the last 500 miles of every oil change after it's clean.

From there, I'd continue to either use a high mileage for 3-4k with a good oil filter, OR a group IV or V true synthetic for 5k with a good oil filter as well.

After your 2 or 3 more OCI cleanings, I'd drop the pan one last time as well as pull the valve cover off.

I wonder what that engine would have looked like with a conventional like PYB/VWB/QSGB at 5k OCIs.

Is it easy to drop the pan on that engine?

Now I am curious because in 132K miles on my wifes 03 Acura MDX V6, I have always done OCI's of 4K or less. Last 50K miles or so has been with a high quality syn. I may want to take a look at the pan. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I agree with others about using something like PYB, personally I'd use Valvoline MaxLife, and dropping it no more than 3k miles for about 3 oil changes w/ the use of a filter like PureONE.

Towards the end of each change, regardless, I'd either use Kreen once more etc, but after this process continue to use something like MMO for the last 500 miles of every oil change after it's clean.

From there, I'd continue to either use a high mileage for 3-4k with a good oil filter, OR a group IV or V true synthetic for 5k with a good oil filter as well.

After your 2 or 3 more OCI cleanings, I'd drop the pan one last time as well as pull the valve cover off.

lol yeah trav get some pics after its cleaned up!!
that would be awesome!! and a good testimonial for kreen

In looking at the pics you have to wonder:

1) If it was definitely 7500 mile OCI with a synthetic and the oil filter was changed every time. I know the OP say's it's a definite but I really wonder. At 80k+ miles for a 2005/06, that has to be a lot of stop and go. My wife's van goes 9 miles each way every day, we have an 06 and the van is around 53K miles...

2) If it was that sludged up already or with so much in deposits I'd expect the person who changed the oil to see some deposit or at least something in the oil coming out of the pan. Then at least he/she would say something to either the service writer or the owner directly.

Like someone said already (at least I think it was said), there has to be more to this story.

One question, what was the MID saying? Many folks here say the Honda MID is very conservative, if so what gives?

I would have the PCV system and the thermostat checked.

What year and what is the sumps oil capacity?

A soccer mom car with short trips perhaps? If so, it may not be getting up to temp such that it is forming cool temp sludge (mayonaise) and accelerating oxidation.

What I have seen on occasion is that the soccer mom generally makes short trips such that moisture and fuel are not being driven out of the system.

This leads to cool temp sludge.

Then a long trip to a soccer final many hours away gets the oil really hot but this only accelerates the oxidation which then turns into black sludge.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729301#Post729301

Why is it so hard to believe that a car used in severe service, stretching OCI's to 7500 miles is sludged up like that? This could just be a case of ultra severe service and an OCI that is just too long. It could also be a design flaw rearing its ugly head under the right conditions. I would consider 7500 miles to be a semi extended OCI for some, for me way beyond my self imposed limit. Long OCIs aren't for everyone in every application. This proves it.

JMO and a little bit of Devil's Advocate to spice things up before the big game!

Originally Posted By: electrolover

I say again.. EVIL.

Maybe. But I find it very interesting that the slots in the windage tray DIRECTLY line up with the clean areas in the pan...

Originally Posted By: electrolover

I say again.. EVIL.

Maybe. But I find it very interesting that the slots in the windage tray DIRECTLY line up with the clean areas in the pan...

maybe its because he just added kreen not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back