Amsoil ASL 5w30 -- 3,000 miles -- 07 Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled another sample from my 07 Si after running 2 OCIs of Amsoil ASL 5w30 to flush out any remaining Mobil 1 juice.

Half a quart was added 1,000 miles prior to the sample. I'm surprised by the high TBN
shocked.gif

This is the first time i've done the TAN and particle count tests, can someone please explain what the numbers mean.

Si-3000mileAmsoilUOA.jpg

Code:
OIL Amsoil 5w30 / M1 0w30

MILES IN USE 3k 2.5k

MILES 85.3k 52k

SAMPLE TAKEN 1/31/11 1/15/10

Make up oil 1qt 1qt

ALUMINUM 1 2

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 5 4

COPPER 0 0

LEAD 0 1

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 42 104

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 4

BORON 229 77

SILICON 8 5

SODIUM 35 4

CALCIUM 3277 2461

MAGNESIUM 12 11

PHOSPHORUS 690 680

ZINC 768 775

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2 0.2

WATER 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 380 400

SUS VIS 210ºF 56.6 55.3

cSt @ 100ºC 9.23 8.87

TBN 10.1 2.7

TAN 1.9

ISO Code 15/14/11

grin.gif
33,000 miles / 3k OCIs... you do the math. haha

Here's i'll do it for you 11 times!!
shocked.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked.gif
33.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
How many times did you change oil during the year from 1-15-10 to 1-31-11?

I used the car for business during this year. The miles were all highway and i'd rack up 3k within a month -/+ sometimes even changing it almost twice a month when i REALLY did a lot of miles at one point during the year.

The car is a blast to drive on the open roads. There wasn't a time when it didn't see 140mph+ pulls during trips. (i have the 130mph+ tickets to prove it)
33.gif

The car is now back to being a garage queen / weekend track car.

Why in the world are you changing your oil this often? Especially when you are driving so many miles? You ought to be at 10,000 miles or more unless you're tracking your Si! What's your OLM showing when you change the oil?

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
Why in the world are you changing your oil this often? Especially when you are driving so many miles? You ought to be at 10,000 miles or more unless you're tracking your Si! What's your OLM showing when you change the oil?

@ 3k = 60% on the oil life meter.

The ECU has been reflashed so the factory OLM no longer functions and just shows 100% oil life all the time now. I never went by it anyway though.

I do track the car often and it gets abused on the street.
Its just this past year that it saw a ton of highway miles.

I'm not looking to extend my intervals with this particular car. Not trying to save the planet either. I want "good" engine protection/cleanliness so 3k OCIs are perfect for me.

Excellent report. To be honest, leaving that oil in for double or triple the miles would provide as good, or better, protection with good filtration. You should be selling that used oil for a premium with that TBN!

^i plan on reusing it into my neighbors 2004 Accord 2.4L for another 5-6k miles
thumbsup2.gif

I don't waste perfectly good oil

Great idea... I wonder if a guy could take this good used oil and further re-filter it to better condition what the car filter did before re-using back into another car. Like pour it into a funnel stacked with 5-6 coffee filters or something. What would work to filter this?

^ Funny you mention that. I tried the exact same thing. I used 2 coffee filters and it would take forever for half a cup to filter through the screen. I called it quits after 2 hours and only having gone through half a quart.

Here's a UOA with a regular drain and fill into another car, reusing the same oil filter.

Oil recycling UOA

Originally Posted By: Artem

@ 3k = 60% on the oil life meter.

The ECU has been reflashed so the factory OLM no longer functions and just shows 100% oil life all the time now. I never went by it anyway though.

Sounds like you're running a speed-density tune as well. Going to guess Hondata's FlashPro? I switched over to FlashPro pretty early so the OLM never did much for me either.

^Exactly, Flashpro all the way.

I've said this before and i'll say it here as well... I believe that there are some make/model cars that shouldn't be doing extended OCI's. It shouldn't even be in their vocabulary.

Of course driving style has a lot to do with it, since there are a ton of sports cars that don't get driven like one.

I beat the living [censored] out of my Si, hence the VERY frequent, anal even, maintenance schedule. Sometimes i even think that 3k is too long
27.gif

Usually when my exhaust tip start getting rather BLACK within a very short time period, its time to change the lube. <-- this has been going on for 85k miles now.

I'm shocked by the shearing - both oils are into the 20-weight range after less than 5k miles!!!

ASL should do better than this, shouldn't it???

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm shocked by the shearing - both oils are into the 20-weight range after less than 5k miles!!!

I think Artem spends significant time in the 6000-8600 RPM range and this engine can put out 120 HP/liter at the wheels with only basic modifications and tuning. This combination will give even the best non-race oils a workout in the shear department.

Most if not all pcmo's use some amount of viscosity modifier and will shear to some degree. You can't meet the stringent fuel economy specs otherwise. Oils like Redline and Dominator use no vii's and therefore are much more shear stable.

Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine
Originally Posted By: addyguy

I think Artem spends significant time in the 6000-8600 RPM range and this engine can put out 120 HP/liter at the wheels with only basic modifications and tuning. This combination will give even the best non-race oils a workout in the shear department.

This is exactly right. This car gets abused on a daily basis. Nothing but WOT (wide open throttle) acceleration, rowing through all 6 gears, bouncing off the higher then stock Rev Limit of 8,600RPM.

The engine isn't stock and as a result, puts out more power which = more HEAT. I'd expect any oil to get beat up with those engine speeds.

I think the Amsoil held up WELL considering my driving style and conditions that the engine sees. If only i could post a video of the abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back