Mobil1 5w-30 meet dexos1- Combined Dexos Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like to date, Castrol, Valvoline, ConocoPhillips, and Amsoil have taken a stance to NOT officially license GM dexos but will make products that meet or exceed the specifications.

And then this consumer alert from the Federal Trade Commission:

Originally Posted By: AMSOIL February 2011 Hotwire blog
FTC Issues Consumer Alert on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently issued a consumer alert clarifying that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits automobile manufacturers and dealers from denying warranty coverage based on use of an aftermarket product, unless they can show the product caused the damage or was installed incorrectly.

“The FTC’s statement should help those ILMA members, for example, who have decided not to license General Motors’ dexos™ engine oil,” said ILMA counsel Jeff Leiter. “Some ILMA members have complained to me that the automaker has made confusing statements about its new engine oil and warranty coverage for new vehicles. It makes sense to hand a customer a copy of the FTC consumer alert, showing that the use of equivalent products should not affect warranty coverage.”

The FTC consumer alert can be viewed at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
Looks like to date, Castrol, Valvoline, ConocoPhillips, and Amsoil have taken a stance to NOT officially license GM dexos but will make products that meet or exceed the specifications.

And then this consumer alert from the Federal Trade Commission:

Originally Posted By: AMSOIL February 2011 Hotwire blog
FTC Issues Consumer Alert on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently issued a consumer alert clarifying that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits automobile manufacturers and dealers from denying warranty coverage based on use of an aftermarket product, unless they can show the product caused the damage or was installed incorrectly.

“The FTC’s statement should help those ILMA members, for example, who have decided not to license General Motors’ dexos™ engine oil,” said ILMA counsel Jeff Leiter. “Some ILMA members have complained to me that the automaker has made confusing statements about its new engine oil and warranty coverage for new vehicles. It makes sense to hand a customer a copy of the FTC consumer alert, showing that the use of equivalent products should not affect warranty coverage.”

The FTC consumer alert can be viewed at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm.

+1

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
At one point it may have been Citgo, and I do remember reading in a thread about some MSDS's that had Citgo contact information. I'm almost positive it's made by Warren oil now. I downloaded a product data sheet from the Service Pro website a while back that was named SP-WarrenOilSpecspackaged.pdf and if you notice on that Dexos1 PDS, it says "SPWNDEXOS1" I'm pretty sure the WN means it's a Warren product.

http://www.service-pro.com/streetsmarts/...ecspackaged.pdf

You might right..since it looks like there will not be citgo branded oil much longer...

Originally Posted By: DT466E_bus
HTSS_TR said:
This Dexos fiasco is the final straw that turn me off in ever consider a GM vehicle.

Why aren't you all flaming about Mercedes and VW that have even harder to meet specs? Finally an American manfacturer backing up extended OCI's and you are complaining.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: DT466E_bus
HTSS_TR said:
This Dexos fiasco is the final straw that turn me off in ever consider a GM vehicle.

Why aren't you all flaming about Mercedes and VW that have even harder to meet specs? Finally an American manfacturer backing up extended OCI's and you are complaining.

I dont think they are complaining about the spec but using the licensing as a profit center.

As long as the fee is just enough to cover testing I dont have a problem with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back