DIFFERENT OILS AND NO FILTER ON ENGINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
ok filter guy, explain why a mobil 1 filter would keep oil in it after a month of being upside down and only 3k miles on it.

Anti-drain valve first springs to mind. But I don't know if the filter in question has one.

According to the EPA, you can dispose of any oil filter in a land fill if you hot oil drain it for 24 hours. If the filter has an anti-drain, then you poke holes in the dome end of the shell for the oil to drain.

This is also why lube centers use a filter crusher to crush the filters before the are picked up for disposal. Usually by a division of Waste Management Company.

Even after being crushed, transported to a smelter, you would be surprised at the amount of oil residue still left in the 55 gallon drum.

The oil does seep out from the saturated media after a used filter is stored over time. (due to gravity if I remember correctly)

And i'm going out on a limb here as i'm not a scientist or engineer but here goes..
but when you turn the filter upside down, the gasket would "seal" the filter to the surface. Air would not flow through the filter. The oil would seep out slowly and pool in the bottom of the filter. The inlet holes would allow traces out. When you pick the filter up, the gasket is no longer sealing the filter from the surface, air is allowed in, and the oil flows out causing the mess.

Or when you pick the filter up, the normal motion is to turn the filter 180 degrees so the inlet holes are now upwards, the oil starts to drain back to the bottom of the shell. You see the "leak" on the surface and turn the filter back over and now the rest of the oil comes flowing out.

Just a guess..
wink.gif

On my filters the media does not extend all the way to the base of the can and I don't know a filter that does. Some oil sits on top of the ADBV and below the media. If the ADBV is functioning properly the oil can't leak out.

-T

the oil leaks out on all filters except the mobil 1 filter. I find all the oil in a mobil filter and very little in a fram or any other kind of filter. after a month of being up side down, you'd find no oil in any part of the filter(except maybe a little). the air goes in the middle, the oil comes out the pores. except the mobil 1.

offtopic.gif
This thread concerns me a great deal, both from the specific test/topic at hand, and from what I see it pointing to overall. (This is not intended to be hypercriticism but an honest statement of concern.) While I, as much as anyone on this site like to spice it up with some friviolity (e.g. das Grün and the Elves) I do come here for information I trust. What I see unfolding here is significant disparity between the speculations, the "facts" and the observations of some very experienced and knowledgeable people. We are not talking minor disagreements but major stuff (e.g. is a filter worthless or not; is a filter worthless after 3000 miles or not; are synthetics of even marginal value or not). This thread calls into question much of what I read on this site and what I believe to be true (and I am talking beyond the views offered by pseudo-experts). I realize that when it comes to science there are often conflicting studies (witness the world of nutrition science) and I realize that some of the tests done here, while well-meaning, are not necesarily "scientific" in test discipline/contstruct, but I will tell you, I am beginning to wonder if my comments about the Elves are about as credible as most else that I read here.

[ January 15, 2005, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Crap! I read this thread for over an hour and it's 2AM!? Wowzers!

So there's any out there with a pair who's not running an oil filter?? This has to be one of the best threads BITOG has ever seen,,op

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
ok filter guy, explain why a mobil 1 filter would keep oil in it after a month of being upside down and only 3k miles on it.

Anti-drain valve first springs to mind. But I don't know if the filter in question has one.

According to the EPA, you can dispose of any oil filter in a land fill if you hot oil drain it for 24 hours. If the filter has an anti-drain, then you poke holes in the dome end of the shell for the oil to drain.
I already know this
This is also why lube centers use a filter crusher to crush the filters before the are picked up for disposal. Usually by a division of Waste Management Company.

Even after being crushed, transported to a smelter, you would be surprised at the amount of oil residue still left in the 55 gallon drum.

The oil does seep out from the saturated media after a used filter is stored over time. (due to gravity if I remember correctly) you would be correct except the mobil doesn't

And i'm going out on a limb here as i'm not a scientist or engineer but here goes..
but when you turn the filter upside down, the gasket would "seal" the filter to the surface. Air would not flow through the filter. I used an oil drain pan which I didn't put a filter on it directly but had it tilted just like the other filters. The oil would seep out slowly and pool in the bottom of the filter. The inlet holes would allow traces out. When you pick the filter up, the gasket is no longer sealing the filter from the surface, air is allowed in, and the oil flows out causing the mess. thats correct if it has any oil left in it. but I left the filters both on for over a month

BOB - Welcome back! Nice to see you posting again! This is an AWESOME thread - very insightful. Hope all continues well!

A question that might have some relevance - Does anyone know if the Formula One racing vehicles have an oil filter? I would think with the RPMs they pull they wouldn't want the "restriction." Maybe in the near future oil filters will not be needed?

I don't know what formula one racing vehicles do be honest. I don't know what they use. as for filters, I know if you put dirt and metal in your oil then yes you need a filter. the older days they didn't have a filter on cars. now they do. what do you think the filters are catching? If you use a cheap oil, maybe you might clean the oil to some degree but if you use a good oil, what is the filter doing? I have seen people not change their filters which means they go into bypass.

I really don't know what they are suppose to do, but if you have a failure, I can see where it might help.

as for tests? yep, your right, they are not scientific, they are suppose to get you to think. I show test that are practical not scientific, so if you only use test data, then so be it. I am not here to change your opinion.

I am glad to be on here and hope you make your mind up as I have knowing more about oil and things related.

Quote:

Has anyone settled the argument about oil filters having no effect on flow, due to the positive displacement oil pumps? forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" />" src="images/icons/confused.gif" />

You may have answered my question to this thread I am on right now..

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=0#Post868446

or atleast how a "perceived" subservient FRAM oil filter which all we know is "it regulates oil pressure better" and someone noted that "it looks like it has more pleats then off the shelf FRAM" that a filter like this could be equal to *if not better* then all of these after-market brands.

Quote:

Bob, Where can I buy Schaeffer's oil here in B.C Canada?

Well, for those mounted "butt up" the ADBV is essentially functionless. On my car, the filter screws straight up onto a flange that points straight down. The "top" of the can "looks" straight down to the road surface, several inches below. This would mean that when the engine is off, and O/P is zero, oil will never drain out of the filter, but will instead, remain in the filter. My filters have an ADBV, but again, I don't think they do anything in an application like mine.

It's interesting to go back and read this thread from so long ago! It's also sad to see how many of the people who posted in this topic that used to be hard core regulars, now don't post here anymore
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
It's interesting to go back and read this thread from so long ago! It's also sad to see how many of the people who posted in this topic that used to be hard core regulars, now don't post here anymore
frown.gif

Yea, those were the days...I expect their wives told them to get a life...
lol.gif

so is this still the train of thought...that what oil you use is more important than what filter? do you think using a "top tier" oil like M1 EP or PU would have any benefit over using an oil like QSUD for a 7500 OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back