OIL AND FILTER CHOICE FOR 2011 TOYOTA CAMRY 4 CYL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2011 Camry 2.5L, 4 cyl SE.

1. I plan on doing my own oil changes 3-5000 mile interval.

Toyota is recommending using their 0w-20 synthetic oil. I have been using Mobile 1 on my other vehicles. I've read quite a bit on the topic... enough to make my head spin.

What are your recommendations for oil brand and filter, keeping warranty in mind?...

In additon, where can I get the service bulletin on changing the cannister style filter on this car so that I use proper torque on the plastic components?

Any input is welcome! Thanks.

Not rocket science. Follow the manual and service guide. 10K OCI for 0W-20 and 5K OCI for 5W-20. Any brand in either grade meeting the SM/SN spec will do you fine.

Also, take advantage of the 2/25K free maintenance package offered on new 2010/2011 Toyota's.

I would stay with Toyota 0w-20 synthetic if you can buy it from dealer at around $6-7/qt and do 7-8k miles OCI (Oil Change Interval). If the price of Toyota 0w-20 at your dealer is too high, then Mobil 1 0W20 will be a good choice for $6.xx at Walmart or sometimes on sale at Autozone, Pep Boys ... for less than $5/qt

I'd stick with OEM oil & filter for the first two oil changes per OCI recommendations. Then pick Valvoline, Mobil1 or Pennzoil from then on. Pick one and stick with it and use OEM, WIX, PureOne filter. JMO. Ed

IMHO, Toyota "branded" 0W-20 isn't really anything special or superior to any other big name 0W-20. In fact, my local Toyota dealers use Castrol and Mobil 1 products for synthetic service (pick your flavor).

Yeah, I would take advantage of the free oil changes through Toyota. No question. However, once those are exhausted, you'll be paying around $60 for a synthetic change at the dealership. So DIY with any top-tier product like Mobil 1 or Valvoline when your service package is expired.

Originally Posted By: HBCALI
IMHO, Toyota "branded" 0W-20 isn't really anything special or superior to any other big name 0W-20. In fact, my local Toyota dealers use Castrol and Mobil 1 products for synthetic service (pick your flavor).

Toyota's 0W-20 is very different from major label oils. Your Toyota dealer may or may not choose to use it, but it's still a very different (and better, IMO) oil. Tons of information on here on Toyota's 0W-20 oil.

And even at dealer pricing, it can be cheaper than other oils as well. Since Mobil 1 and Valvoline's 0W-20 is only avaialble in quarts at this time, the dealer's price of about $6.50/qt is comparable. And the dealer filter for this application, at $5, is less than the $7.99 Fram cartridge at Walmart.

OP, I also have an '11 Camry, and plan to change every 5k also. My other main vehicle takes a 5k mile OCI, and it's just plan easy to remember. Oil is cheap and I like getting under the car anyway for suspension/driveline inspections.

Thanks for all of the insight. Does anyone know where I can get the torque specs for the filter cannister and filter cannister drain plug? I don't want to over tighten the plastic parts.

You could try calling your dealer for the torque spec's.

One further word on your motor oil choice.
Yes stick with the EOM made Toyota Brand 0W-20 if you can. The only other 0W-20's that have similar oil flow properties are Honda's 0W-20 and Castrol Edge.
All other 0W-20's such as M1 and Valvoline are much heavier oils; as much as 25% at room temperature and 40% at 0C.

Originally Posted By: DWVANDY
Thanks for all of the insight. Does anyone know where I can get the torque specs for the filter cannister and filter cannister drain plug? I don't want to over tighten the plastic parts.

I just bought a 2011 Camry myself and I have those torque specs for you...

Oil filter canister: 20 ft/lbs.
Canister drain plug: 11 ft/lbs.
Oil pan drain plug: 30 ft/lbs.

As far as oil and filters go...get yourself a 10 pack of OEM (Denso) Toyota filters of ebay for $40 with free shipping. There are several dealers selling them...$4 per filter is good.

I am using Castrol Edge 0W-20. It's expensive...so it must be good.

Here is a pic of my 2011 Camry LE....post a pic of your SE if you get the chance.

Camry.jpg

Last edited:
i heard it was toyota's oil that was the cause of all the sludge. i dont know if its true or not but you cant go wrong with PU... factory clean baby!!
smile.gif

canister filters have an o ring so no need to get carried away, just bottomed out and snug is fine or you will break the plastic can/lid
and as always fire it up when your done and look it over(running) for leaks

Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger

I just bought a 2011 Camry myself and I have those torque specs for you...

Oil filter canister: 20 ft/lbs.
Canister drain plug: 11 ft/lbs.
Oil pan drain plug: 30 ft/lbs.

As far as oil and filters go...get yourself a 10 pack of OEM (Denso) Toyota filters of ebay for $40 with free shipping. There are several dealers selling them...$4 per filter is good.

I am using Castrol Edge 0W-20. It's expensive...so it must be good.

Here is a pic of my 2011 Camry LE....post a pic of your SE if you get the chance.

Camry.jpg

Nice looking Camry. I bet the OP new Camry has white stuff all over it, and you can't see the grass where he is located.

Follow exactly what the owners manual recommends,changing syn oil at 3 to 5,000 miles is not understanding proper application of syn oil.

I forgot about Toyota offering a 0w-20 synthetic!! I wonder if they'd even put it in my yaris that's a 5w-30.... According to their oil chart for all their models the yaris is warrented from 0w20 up to 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
I forgot about Toyota offering a 0w-20 synthetic!! I wonder if they'd even put it in my yaris that's a 5w-30.... According to their oil chart for all their models the yaris is warrented from 0w20 up to 5w-30.

Pure guess but I bet they allow for 0w20 but with the same OCI recommended.

I have a new 2011 Camry 2.5L, 4 cyl SE.

1. I plan on doing my own oil changes 3-5000 mile interval.

Toyota is recommending using their 0w-20 synthetic oil. I have been using Mobile 1 on my other vehicles. I've read quite a bit on the topic... enough to make my head spin.

What are your recommendations for oil brand and filter, keeping warranty in mind?...

In additon, where can I get the service bulletin on changing the cannister style filter on this car so that I use proper torque on the plastic components?

Any input is welcome! Thanks.

DWVANDY,

When I had my Toyota, my dealership didn't use Toyotas/factory brand of synthetic. They had/used Mobil 1 synthetic as there option. If your own place offers Toyota brand then I'd use it in a heart beat and OEM oil filters. Until your car is out of warranty then stick as close to factory specs as possible not to void it out.

Durango

Last edited:
I have a 2010 Tundra 4.6L V8 and it calls for 0w20 My dealer sells Mobil 1 no oil was labeled Toyota. I put Valvoline 0w20 last oil change I just bought more Valvoline 0w20 synthetic again thats what I am running. My driving conditions are bad. I work in 3 buildings all 1 mile apart and only 3 miles from my house lots of starts and stops through out the day with the engine never really getting hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back