Oil Recommendation for Hyundai Sonata 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys - LONG time lurker on this board (about 5 years), just joined up to get some expert advice.

Recently bought the wife a new car and I need to do it's FIRST oil change.

Here's some info:

Car: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged
Current Mileage: ~2000 (wanted to do a 1500 mile first change, but time hasn't permitted, and this weekend is my first chance).

Owners Manual has the standard call out's nothing "specific" to this engine. There are different interval rec's for the Turbo engine vs. the N/A, but I'll get into that in a bit.

We live in Northwest GA. Lots of good hills around here that the car is often subjected to. Temp's rarely get below the teens and summer it is common to hover @ ~100°. Car is garage kept, so the night time temps is sees is at the lowest 50° in the garage.

Driving style is pretty calm for my wife, a little more spirited for myself, but not racing it. An occasional few second WOT run is about all it will see. Most of the time, think regular commuter.

Most mileage is accumulated in short >20 mile trips, with the majority being ~10 miles.

Car is running like a champ and we love it.

I will be using synthetic oil in it, as it has always been my preference. Previously, I have ran Amsoil, but my buddy (dealer) moved, and I don't want to have to chase it down. Plus, the price is pretty high. In my previous vehicle I ran the Sig. Series 0W-30.

I would PREFER an oil that is readily available locally. Parts stores here are Advance, AutoZone, and O'Reilly (and of course a Wal-Mart every 5 miles). Just about any OTC oil (highest end synthetic's in mind) is going to be cheaper than the S.S. Amsoil, so the cost isn't as much an issue as quality.

I plan on using WIX Filters, as they are locally available and I think I am safe in saying a good filter.

I haven't decided on the interval change yet. The manual recommends 3k for the turbo engine, but it is also banking on regular oil (with an additive at certain change intervals). Being the nature of turbo's to heat oil dramatically, this sounds ok to me, but could get expensive. However - out previous car was a 2002 purchased with 2 miles on it, and 8 years and 5 months later it had 80,000 miles on it, so we don't rack up mileage like some.

So, what suggest ye old guru's of the BITOG forum?

DLB

What is the weight stamped on the oil fill cap underhood?
Assume 5w-30? Good luck has been had here here with PU or Edge. M1 is also HT06 approved. If 40 grade is allowed in spring- summer: 5w-40 PU euro or 0w-40 M1. You may want to investigate a German or Japanese DM synthetic that are true synthteic (>80% group iv/v basestock) - similar to the amsoil you have run in the past but these would prob be $9-12 a litre. Hey spend the $$$ on your 25,000 car! What does a tank of gas cost? Dont cheap out with that motor!

Things that would be important to me would be a turbo spec approval (like HTO-06) and a low NOACK (assuming it's direct injected and you don't want intake valve deposits) so something like M1 or Pennzoil Platinum would be all I would assume you really need and are cheap and easy to find.

I'd keep the OCI at what the manufacturer requires to keep your warranty valid. At that short OCI I wouldn't be springing for AmsOil either.

Last edited:
ANY full synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 oil will do well. Keep an eye on oil consumption and top off as needed. 0w40 or 5w40 is another option for warmer months. Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil1, Valvoline Synpower, Kendall, Quaker State, RoyalPurple, Amsoil, Redline, Amalie... will serve you well.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
What is the weight stamped on the oil fill cap underhood?
Assume 5w-30?
Correct Assumption.

Good luck has been had here here with PU or Edge. M1 is also HT06 approved. If 40 grade is allowed in spring- summer: 5w-40 PU euro or 0w-40 M1.
The PU and the Edge are the two that I was eyeing, as they are readily available. I will have to go back and look in the manual at the ranges it calls for. (It is somewhere I am not at the moment). Is there an advantage or preference of the Pennzoil vs. Mobil there?

You may want to investigate a German or Japanese DM synthetic that are true synthteic (>80% group iv/v basestock) - similar to the amsoil you have run in the past but these would prob be $9-12 a litre.
Well, if I were going that route, would I not be just as well off to go with the Amsoil pretty much? Also - DM Synthetic? (Remember noob).

Hey spend the $$$ on your 25,000 car! What does a tank of gas cost? Dont cheap out with that motor!
I'm not looking to cheap out necessarily, but I wasn't sure the cost is justified. Is the Amsoil Sig. or a "German or Japanese DM synthetic" a significant enough jump for the hassle (and cost) of obtaining it?

Edit: Regarding the other new posts above - it is direct injected and the specs you mentioned for the turbo are of utmost importance to me. I have been around turbo'd engines and know I don't want to risk any damage there.

Another quick ? - Is the Ultra vs. Premium, (or similar in other brands) worth the jump?

I will probably take the 3k OCI route. On less sophisticated engines I have pushed the Amsoil intervals out farther.

Thank You.

DLB

Last edited:
glad to see another person with this car. im currently using PU 5w-30 and 1/3 way through till my next oc. i plan on doing a UOA to see how our engine is with the oil.

Stick with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30(assuming that is the required grade). PP meets numerous certifications HTO-06, GM 4718, etc. that would make it ideal for your Sonata. PP is very easy to locate at any store and is decently priced. I have used both the Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum and really see no need to pay the extra for the Ultra; Platinum works just as well.

I have to say that the new Sonata is one of my favorite looking vehicles. Even though I am a die-hard Toyota and Honda fan, the Hyundai lineup is very impressive! Any chance you could post a picture of your very photogenic Sonata?

By the way, let me be the first to
welcome2.gif
you to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: _DLB_
The PU and the Edge are the two that I was eyeing, as they are readily available.
I wouldn't pass on PP Pennziol Platinum. Also meets(as said above) Honda HTO-06 spec. Excellent synthetic and can be had at a lower price point than PU. You're talking about 3k OCI anyway so, all the more reason. That said, think you stretch any of the oils mentioned farther.

fwiw, when I was looking for a new car recently test drove the 2.4 and 2.0T Sonata. Turbo, in addition to being quicker, was actually the quieter of the two, in the end though DI kept me away. Nice car though, and lot's of car for the money. Congrats on the new ride.

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
glad to see another person with this car. im currently using PU 5w-30 and 1/3 way through till my next oc. i plan on doing a UOA to see how our engine is with the oil.

Likewise! And I look forward to seeing what you find out on your analysis.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Stick with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30(assuming that is the required grade).

I have to say that the new Sonata is one of my favorite looking vehicles. Even though I am a die-hard Toyota and Honda fan, the Hyundai lineup is very impressive! Any chance you could post a picture of your very photogenic Sonata?

By the way, let me be the first to
welcome2.gif
you to BITOG!

Well, I haven't had an opportunity to take any good pics yet (we bought it at night in the rain and it has been bad weather since). However, I took this quick cell phone pic the other day.

SonataTedit.jpg

I have always been a die-hard GM guy, this car changed me. Made in USA and without my tax money.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I wouldn't pass on PP Pennziol Platinum. Also meets(as said above) Honda HTO-06 spec. Excellent synthetic and can be had at a lower price point than PU. You're talking about 3k OCI anyway so, all the more reason. That said, think you stretch any of the oils mentioned farther.

fwiw, when I was looking for a new car recently test drove the 2.4 and 2.0T Sonata. Turbo, in addition to being quicker, was actually the quieter of the two, in the end though DI kept me away. Nice car though, and lot's of car for the money. Congrats on the new ride.
We are well pleased. For the money, I think it is hard to beat. The GDI engine is supposed to be the stuff, time will tell I suppose.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Off to the store this evening to pick up some PP it sounds like.

DLB

Direct injected engines like yours tend to be very hard on oil, especially with lots of short trip driving. I wouldn't assume that synthetic oil will be good beyond the 3,000 mile recommendation, be sure to confirm your OCI using UOA. The limiting factor is usually the oil's ability to cope with fuel dilution, not TBN or viscosity shearing. Owners of other DI/Turbo cars have seen their oil shot after 3,000 miles despite robust synthetic oils meeting proprietary manufacturer specs and manufacturer recommended change intervals of 10,000 miles. Look for posts by Saaber and RI_RS4 on this forum for details on the oil-killing nature of direct injected engines. Also look at threads on the VW/Audi 2.0T, BMW N54 (335i) and Mazdaspeed 3. All of these engines are direct injected turbo.

Bucking the Pennzoil/M1 trend here I would recommend you look at Valvoling MaxLife Full Synthetic. It's the only readily available 5w30 that meets ACEA A3 requirements for high performance forced induction engines (HTHS >3.5).

Good luck with the new ride!

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I was going to recommend QS syn because it is such a good deal at WM but I can't find that it meets HTO-06 so I'll second PP.

funny thing is that hyundai manual recommends QS..

Thanks for the picture; what a beautiful car! I love its' sleek and well trimmed lines. Glad to hear you are planning on using PP; it will serve your Hyundai's needs very adequately.

I run Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my turbo Mazda CX7. Very good UOAs with my 6K oil changes. WIX & MC/Mada oil filters. WM has PP5w30 for ~ $25/5quarts here in Cale Coral FL. PP & Mobil one in 5w30 meets the Honda turbo spec.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
do they also recommend synthetic? or doesnt it mention anything re; it?

nope. does not specifically mention using synthetics. but i did email a hyundai dealer service manager and he said non-synthetic is fine.

Originally Posted By: _DLB_

SonataTedit.jpg

Nice Mercedes CLS, umm, I mean VW Passat CC; err, uhh I mean - Hyundai!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

you forgot Lexus ES

Originally Posted By: lexus114
do they also recommend synthetic? or doesnt it mention anything re; it?

This:
Originally Posted By: poiuy223
nope. does not specifically mention using synthetics. but i did email a hyundai dealer service manager and he said non-synthetic is fine.
I verified the same. The tech told me at my dealer - "Ah, regular old oil is fine." But then again, they thought it was a good idea to wash my car for me too. (I am very AR about the paint, part-time detailer).

Thanks for all the posts and recommendations guys. I plan on doing a UOA after this change (as I am sure there is a somewhat high wear rate right now). I will then do them periodically after that just to keep an eye on things.

DLB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back