polaris sportsman transmision fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I recently changed the transmision fluid in my 04 sportsman 500. I was almost positive it was gear oil so I used Amsoil severe gear 75w-90. I now know that the Polaris oil wasn't that thick. It has been opperating just fine but was wondering if I should change it our would it just be fine. Thanks for your input in advance

Austin

According to my info the transmission is a CVT type that uses a special CVT fluid with the viscosity of an ATF.

I would highly recommend you check your owners manual for fluid types and fills before it potentially gets ruined.

I believe the transmission and the differential are the same. I read the manual again and it says use the Polaris gear lubricant but then for the 600 and 700 it says to use that or gl5 80w-90. I alway seem to think I know what I'm doin but I guess not
33.gif

Originally Posted By: aking
I believe the transmission and the differential are the same. I read the manual again and it says use the Polaris gear lubricant but then for the 600 and 700 it says to use that or gl5 80w-90. I alway seem to think I know what I'm doin but I guess not
33.gif

I don't think you can do wrong with a Type F or Dexron III tranny fluid. What year is this??

The Polaris 500 has front rear end that does take the 80w90 gear oil. The rear transmission/drive is a multi task system that is composed of the rear drive and transmission. This takes Polaris AGL ( Atv Gearcase Lubricant) as Polaris likes to call it. It has AGL real big on the bottle and will set you back about $13 bucks a quart. Many argue about its true composition, It resembles ATF fluid, except it is purple. I have heard some claim it is ATF Type F and it is ATF Type Dextron. I can say, I have had Polaris atvs, since 1992, before Polaris had their own line of polaris Pure lubricants and back then polaris said to use Sae 30 wt motor oil in the transmission and later years said to use 10w30 motor oil. I have friends that use 5w20 synthetic oil, without problems. I bite the bullet and use the AGL and change it annually. Amsoil has a Gearcase oil of their own, but it costs more than the Polaris brand(which is also Synthetic, so it doesnt really make much sense to use it, unless you are die-hard Amsoil fan. The 500 holds one qt. Of AGL. Regardless the gear oil definetely doesnt go back there and you do need to change it out. I seriously doubt you did any damage, the Polaris transmissions are pretty tuff and rugged and are not real fussy. I few I bought used, I drained out what looked like rusty water and they still worked fine.

ok thanks for the information I apprieciate it. Do you think it will be fine if it doesn't get changed out soon? It doesn't get used much if any in the winter.

The 600, 700 and 800 have a different system, they actaully have a front and rear end, besides the transmision and have 80w90 in the rear ends(which Polaris calls Angle shaft drive and polaris hub drive in the front or some whacked out name, to confuse you so you buy their product and are afraid to try to subsitute. They have all these crazy names and alot of times the polaris dealer doesnt even know what goes where. Believe it or not, I actaully went by smelling what came out and what went where, when I changed all the fluids in my 700, its that bad. Some of the Polaris's take Polaris drive in the front for the Hillard clutchs instaed of gear oil. Dont feel bad, they really made it confusing by not giving subsitute oils to use. Greed to sell theirt own line of lubricants and nothing more.

I would change it out pretty quick, as soon as possible. Only for the fact that the gear oil may have a adverse effect on seals or different metals inside the case. Especially since those seals or some metals in there were never meant to be in gear oil. Motor oil wont hurt anything or atf. But gear oil may cause swelling or galling.

I know a few here are guessing, I am not and have over 10 yrs of finding the correct AMSOIL Products to replace Polaris Lubes.

I have a 2004 Owners manual in front of me.

transmission - Polaris Premium Synthetic Gear Case lube
DO NOT USE ATF, its a SAE 80 gear lube

The AMSOIL to use is Series 2000 ChainCase Lube for this application and to replace these below.

Polaris
Synthetic Gearcase Lube
SCL Chaincase Lubricant
AGL ATV Gearcase Lubricant

I actually have a customer with the exact year and model.

AGL stands for Angle Drive Fluid and its a gear lube, use 89W-90 or 75W-90
Demand Drive Hub fluid is a low viscosity hydraulic fluid

AGL stands for ATV Gearcase lubricant and is the proper thing to put in the transmission. It is not a gear oil. It is very thin and resembles ATF, except it is purple not red. The demand drive is Green and also thin. The angle shaft oil is Gear oil and the smell reflects this. You are in incorrect. I have 9 Polaris's currently. I have owned well over a dozen polaris atvs over the years. Including 500 Sportsman. I was forced to become familar with the fluids.

changed the gear lube out and put the AGL in. The AGL stuff is really thin like motor oil, is dark colored and has a real different smell.

I am not sure what manual you are reading out of, probably the Sportsman for 500,600,700 and 800. Because the 500 has no rear gear case(no rearend) the CV joints to the wheels come directly out of the transmission housing to the wheels. This is the transmission/gearcase. The 400 and 335 polaris Sportsman should be the same as the 500. If it is a magnum or a model without independant suspension, it would be different.

Last edited:
fyi.........

AGL is an ATV Chaincase lubricant and AMSOIL has lab analyzed it and their TCCBE Series 2000 Chaincase lube is a total match per my information. An 80 wt gear lube has a viscosity of roughly a 30 wt engine oil.

Angle Drive Fluid is the 80W-90 gear lube and I mistaken referred to AGL. I was trying to differentiate between the two but obviously confused the names.

2004_cover.jpg

Im even more confused now then I was before I started reading this. I have a 2000 sportsman 335, with IRS, CV axles coming straight out of the tranny. I run royal purple 0w in the engine, and was told to run royal purple in its highest weight in the tranny. What should I do!!!???

Tell yuou what, if it makes you feel any better. I tore down two Polaris transmissions and repaired them and they are nothing but big gearboxs. Very un complicated. Big gears with a silent three link chain, pretty much. I am convinced any slippery substance would be fine. I have put the Polaris AGL in there, ATF(Dodge +3) because it is referred for transfer cases, which a Polaris transmission resembles), and Motor oil 5w20 and 30 wt, with no difference in performance or noise. By exmination, I would suggest a thin oil(definetely not a gear oil) simply because there is a magnet on the bottom and it would be better if the metal shavings do not become suspended, but rather drop to the bottom of the case to the magnet, and these transmissions produce alot of shavings, its natural. I have found the transmission magnet covered in a 1/2" of shavings in a brand new quad. Its just the nature of the beast. these are robust transmisions and very simple in design. really you can go on Youtube and see the insides, not much there, I speak from experience and not from "reading about it" or what the "manual says". What I can tell you is in 1991 before Polaris had there own line of lubes, they reccomended 30wt oil and these transmisions have not changed since, except in appearence on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back