Official Toyota Oil Recommendation Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I know. I have 2006 Toyota Camry V6. 1mz-fe engine. which is used in Lexus 1994- 2003. Lexus ES300 have 10-15 more HP, because of Octane 91.

but yea, My camry v6 engine is strong with 205,763 Miles. I use castrol syntec. It is even more quiet. Toyota chart show 5w30, 5w20, and 0w20 for 2006 camry v6. I don't want to take a risk. I will stick it with one weight. it is 5w30.

I don't think I can afford lexus brand. If I am buying another Toyota, I will buy a V6 again.

Last edited:
I didn't see the 98 RAV-4 - sniff sniff
But I did see the 98 Camry 2.0 L-4 which my son has and is the same as the RAV, and we both use 5w-30 (shown on the chart) - Castrol GTX 5w-30. So I don't feel too bad.

Nice chart - Couldn't see it at first on a little Netbook. My squishy eyeballs suffered until I found my glasses.

Nice chart! Thanks for sharing!

Very strange that the 2007-2011 Camry v6, Rav4 v6, and the Highlander v6 all share the same engine (3.5L 2GR-FE), but have different viscosities that are acceptable. Wonder if there is really any differences between these motors or if this is just an error on Toyota's part?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Wait till you hear that loud knocking if you change over a long time 5w-30 car to a 5w-30.

??

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Wait till you hear that loud knocking if you change over a long time 5w-30 car to a 5w-30.

You mean 5w30 to 5w20 or 0w20?

My 2006 RX400h had 115000km on it when I bought it, June 2009. Previous owner had left phone numbers in the phone. Called her and confirmed dealer serviced. Called dealer and confirmed 5w30 use. Switched to 0w20 that winter. No loud knocking...are you a chicken little or something?
laugh.gif

I have 2006 camry v6 which call 5w30. 5w20 and 0w20 can be used too.. so whats the point using other than 5w30? I think 5w30 will do the job for the winter and summer.

here is the another point. 0w20 or 5w20 will increase mpg according to the honda.

I have honda pilot which calls for 5w20 or 0w20.. Mileage doesn't improve...

Originally Posted By: AHampton

Very strange that the 2007-2011 Camry v6, Rav4 v6, and the Highlander v6 all share the same engine (3.5L 2GR-FE), but have different viscosities that are acceptable. Wonder if there is really any differences between these motors or if this is just an error on Toyota's part?
confused.gif

The same engine is also in Sienna, Avalon and Venza. The only oil approved in this engine is 5W30. I'm not saying that lower will destroy the engine but this document has too many errors to be trusted.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Originally Posted By: justinf89
the camry I used to have called for 10w-30. Nice chart though.

So did mine,was it a 3rd gen camry?

xv10 w/ i4, i think it was a 95. it was my first car given to me from my grandmother.

Server overloaded. When you try to zoom into the PDF, it chokes.

I also have a feeling that Toyota doesn't want to offend some owners. So, some years, depending on marketing, or the fool tech writer's owner's manual recommendations, will stay regardless.

Is funny that they recommend 5w20 but not 0w20 in some applications. I guess that they don't want to risk 10k changes in certain engines. I'd use 0w20 over 5w20 any day even with the mandatory 5k change.

No rhyme or reason with the chart. Another tech writer using darts to pick the oil weight. But, this should help the clueless dealer network.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Is funny that they recommend 5w20 but not 0w20 in some applications. I guess that they don't want to risk 10k changes in certain engines. I'd use 0w20 over 5w20 any day even with the mandatory 5k change.

Please take into consideration they are talking their own brand oil and not other brand in the market. In the past, Honda and Toyota always very cautious on the amount of moly on their light-weight oil, that imo, is much more than what the other brand has.

My 1997 Toyota Manual states to use 05W-30 or 10W-30 oil. Now they have a different listing of 05W-20 or 05W-30. I've been using 05W-30 for the last 10 years and will continue with that weight oil. Why should I use 05W-20? I really don't see any benefit since they are all about the same. I do use 10W-30 sometimes in the heat of the summer and for long summer trips. I do use Shell Rotella 05W-40 T6 when I find a good price on the oil. I've never had any problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
My 1997 Toyota Manual states to use 05W-30 or 10W-30 oil. Now they have a different listing of 05W-20 or 05W-30. I've been using 05W-30 for the last 10 years and will continue with that weight oil. Why should I use 05W-20? I really don't see any benefit since they are all about the same. I do use 10W-30 sometimes in the heat of the summer and for long summer trips. I do use Shell Rotella 05W-40 T6 when I find a good price on the oil. I've never had any problems.

Your reasoning is irrational.
The advantages of using as light an oil as possible have been sited many times and I shouldn't need to repeat them here.
There is rarely a valid reason to choose a heavier oil than specified by the manufacturer and presumed greater engine protection is common myth.
Oil quality has improved a lot in the past 15 years. That is the reason a lighter oil can now be back spec'd to prior model years.

Some people fail to read the Toyota Recommendation info. The info are suggestions for their service departments that use "Toyota Oil". As stated in an earlier post, it is a known fact that Toyota and Honda oils are beefed up with a lot of Moly. That service chart is for service personnel who use Toyota oils. I am not trying to push Red Line or any other product, like some posters, I just use the quality oils available to all consumers with success. Cheers.

This information is new to me regarding the 2004 to 2009 Prius.

Up until now I was under the impression that 5W30 was the only recommended grade but this chart shows TGMO at 0W20 is recommended!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back