2003 Olds Alero 3.4L refuses to start randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my niece's 2003 Olds Alero with 3.4L engine. She tells me that from time to time during the last 2 months her car won't start. Battery is only 4 months old and works great, both alternator and starter are in good working condition. Also the fuel pump is fine so I don't think it is a fuel delivery problem. Sounds to me like an electronic glitch. She says sometimes it just doesn't start when she tries to crank the engine, all the lights in the dashboard light up but when trying to crank the engine nothing happens. Sometimes will start after a few minutes, sometimes after a few hours, one time the next morning. Yesterday she said it wouldn't start, but when I went to take a look at it, it started just fine. I am confused???
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like an electronic glitch, I had something like that in my 2002 Cavalier 3 years ago. It turned out it was a 'pinched security system wire' that caused a no-start condition just like you describe.

is there a little security lamp flashing when this happens? it is common for the passlock anti theft system to fail. Replace the ignition switch and lock cylinder/passlock sensor. over $500 in parts alone

passlock is a vehicle anti ownership system that tells the owner that it is time to buy a new car or thats what I think of it...

if when she turns the key and you do not hear anything at all from the starter or even if you hear a clicking coming from the starter hook up a test light to the starter wire if when you try to start the car and the light comes on but the starter does not turn or just clicks its the starter...other than that is there an aftermarket security system in the car?
or maybe the transponder system check to see if the security light is blinking

Similar year GrandAm 3.4 have a similar problem but they will turn over. A quick shot of DeepCreep in the intake and it'll fire right up.

I haven't figured out whether or not it was the fuel pressure bleeding down overnight, PCM, or crank position sensor. But all three of those got it going again.

Addyguy, how did you resolve your issue?

Rslifking, I will tell her to try your method next time and see if that helps.

Jkhawaii, I am not sure if there is a little security lamp flashing when this happens, since the car started just fine when I tried. I will tell her to pay attention at the security lamp. $500 for a sensor? That is pretty expensive. The car doesn't have a lot of miles, drives great and looks almost brand new condition, but lately seems every month something breaks down. The last 8 months I have put in it new fuel pump and filter, new battery, new water pump, new belt, new plugs and wires, new fuel pressure regulator, new wheel speed sensors, drain/refill atf and new filter, foamy psf... I am very dissappointed with quality of GM in this car.

Hounddog, I am positive the starter is fine, I have tested it a few times and it's in perfect working condition.

Crazyoildude, when she turns the key there is nothing coming from the starter. I am positive that it is not the starter causing it. Nothing aftermarket in the car, all factory.

Spazdog, will keep your advise in mind for next time it happens.

Since it starts ok for you, it may be as simple as starting technique.

Be aware that this car has the older-type "hold in start" ignition. It does not have "touch to start". Check if she is holding the key in "start" or if she just turns to start and immediately lets go.

If engine is cold, this car starts easier if you turn key to on, wait for gas gauge to turn on, (this let you check the dashboard self-test and also turns on the fuel pump), then hold key in start for about 1 second.

----------------------------------------------

1999 Olds GLS 3.4L

Last edited:
Carwreck, I wish it was that simple. She has had the car for 4 years now, so I don't think it is the starting technique. I am doing some reading at a few sites and it seems this is not a rare problem with Aleros, seems the issue is with the passlock security system.

It sounds like it is a Passlock II problem. Some of the earlier years just disabled the fuel injectors but the later ones also disable the starter when it is set. In either case the theft light will come on. It will stay on for about 10 mins then turn off and usually the car will start. If car doesn't start, it may have to go into password relearn and you would have to do the 10 min wait for the light to go out attempt restart 3 times for the password to relearn.

Sometimes the problem resolves itself, and sometimes the ignition cylinder needs to be replaced (not to be confused with the ignition switch which can be reused) and the relearn performed. You could probably get an aftermarket ignition cylinder for around ~$100 and rekey it to your original key. There is also a Passlock bypass procedure of cutting a certain wire or placing a certain value resistor in the wire but I'm not a fan of that.

Originally Posted By: moss
Carwreck, I wish it was that simple. She has had the car for 4 years now, so I don't think it is the starting technique. I am doing some reading at a few sites and it seems this is not a rare problem with Aleros, seems the issue is with the passlock security system.

Im not sure if it is the Passlock, but I've heard on Malibus of the same vintage you may have to leave the key in the "on" position for about 10 minutes to "unlock" it. Ive never had that problem with my 'bu but know people who have.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/M...ght_is_on.shtml

Starters only check bad when you catch them not turning the engine over.If you can get to the starter easily next time it won't turn over and if you can get someone to hold the key to start and tap it with a hammer.

Could be corrosion hidden in the gm style terminals. That is very common

the only way to know for sure if its the starter is put a test lighe on the starter and see if the light goes on when you turn the key and nothing happens its the starter...also another way is to have someone turn the key and tap the starter with a hammer if it starts after you rap it ites the starter....
If not check the security light for the transponder system other than that maybe the electrical part of the ignition switch (not the key part) or a loos or dirty connection...

What makes you think its not the starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back