No more Nissans for me. Long post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought an 03 2.5L Altima new. Shortly after purchase there was recall related to the precat causing, to put it mildly, engine related issues. At the time, some SpecV owners especially with the 2.5L had to have engines replaced under warranty. The precat would come apart sending parts into the engine essentially grenading the engine at some point. Also, the main reason I did a UOA 2 years ago posted here.

Nissan's fix for others with the 02-03 2.5L was to change the oil and iirc put a shield over the exhaust manifold precat. It was NO permanent fix, it was a band aid. In other words, it was a joke, and the jokes now on me.

So a couple weeks ago (~81k), I got a CEL/SES light which didn't really concern me at the time because I had had one before when the throttle actuator control had to be replaced under good will warranty. Put my trusty code reader/obd scanner on and 0420 showed, cat. sys. efficiency below threshold bank 1. So I thought, bad cat/cats, or bad O2 sensors, not terrible. That was until I pulled the dipstick and saw the oil level, half way down in the safe zone. This vehicle had never used/burned oil, and was at the max mark recently when I checked. So, I was very sure what was happening.

I pm'ed another Altima owner who suggested I at least visit the selling dealer to confirm. Being fairly tight with the parts manager and needing a hood rod retainer clip (cheap plastic) off I went. When I told him the code, the meaning, and oil use, his response was this "I hate to have to be the one to tell you this....", he needed to go no further though he did. Also related the story to the other parts person, who cast a wry smile. Part manager checked with head shop manager who had them check computer to see if there was any Nissan recourse, of course there are none. I tried.

I thought because of I took excellent care (new pads recently) of the vehicle even doing a UOA, that despite what I had read, I'd have no precat/engine issues. Wrong answer! If you own an 02-03 Nissan with 2.5L it will get you.

As I wasn't going to throw away more good money after bad, I now have a new vehicle. And as I had planned to sell the Altima outright at some point, it's at quite an expense to me. But, I'll share the more pleasant the new vehicle discussion at some later point on another thread. Want to also thank Char Baby and demarpaint who responded to my pm questions with excellent answers and advice.

As for Nissan, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Sayonara.

Nice cars when they work. Had a friend's 01 Maxima go from good to really bad in year 9. It was junked. It's a delicate balance with cars with respect to when to sell.

T_S, did your engine let go?

As for knowing when to sell, perhaps the exellent UOA and excellent care made me more confident, but I'm not blaming the UOA. Also, would have felt bad if I had sold this vehicle outright and this had happened to the buyer. Theres a story on the net about a father who sold an 03 2.5L Altima to his son and it grenaded on a trip and the son was s-o-l. Can find it if you wish.

No, this is all on Nissan. 81k with the care it recieved, should have gone much longer. Interior and exterior are in great shape.

Sayjac, excellent and very educational post! Thanks a lot! I'm not into bashing any make and I believe all cars have weak spots. Knowing about the weak spot and taking proactive measures is the key. Not sure there were any proactive measures to take here though.

Reminds me an awful lot of the early last generation MR2's (I think roughly 99'-02' but can't remember off top of my head). They had precat problems which ruined the engines. Toyota didn't get it sorted out until later in the model run (03'+ as I recall).

And one can find similar weak spots with virtually any manufacturer for a specific problem (e.g. Porsche intermediate shaft failures, GM manifold, Honda Odysey transmissions, etc., etc.). Just goes to show that consumers need to get their own information because manufacturers are often the last one to tell the customer. Really makes you appreciate forums like BITOG and posters like Sayjac who share their experiences.

Thanks saaber. I thought for some time what I would post as the headliner. Didn't want to post something like Nissan sucks, even though at this point I feel that way. So, just wanted relate my personal experience, others can judge/decide for themselves how they feel based on their experience.

But, perhaps this will help others not repeat my experience. If so, worth it.

I had an '04 Spec V with the 2.5.

After hearing about the problems, I awoke one day to find that during the night a new exhaust manifold with a hollowed out cat magically appeared on the engine.

Not only did I no longer worry about my engine, but the car (which already had great performance) embarrased several Maxima SE's from naught to 100 mph after that.

Sounds familiar.

The same year Mazda6S is prone to the same kind of self-destruction. This is with the otherwise reliable Ford Duratec 3.0.

They destroy their pre-cats and ruin the engine.

A common culprit is a PCV valve failure

The 2.3 4-cylinder doesn't seem to have this problem.

My mother-in-law's Hyundai XG melted it's precats too. I think this may have been from years of very low speed operation and VERY short trips. Less than one mile. The 6G72 based engine was not damaged in any way though. Front and rear precats replaced, engine runs like new.

lol.gif
Yes, I have read about that solution.

Thanks for the post Sayjac. We seem to learn something every day on BITOG forum. I was considering a Nissan for a future vehicle. Not now! Sorry to hear of your problems, you've had your share especially with a well maintained vehicle.

The precat on my Sentra failed... I only owned it for about 14 months. It was burning about 1 qt. a week of GTX HM 10W-40, the last 2-3 months I had it. The car still had less than 100,000 miles on it when I traded it in, a little over a year ago. I shut the CEL off, and put some STP in the oil on my way to the stealership... I never said a thing about the problems I was having.

Last edited:
It's a real drag going through something like this, but one thing I'll mention is that it's not completely brand-specific; Mazda did the same thing on a few models. The only reason I know this is that I was looking at Mazda 6 wagons (one of the coolest wagons ever made, BTW) and it was plagued with this exact same issue! Pre-cats getting sucked into and destroying the engine? really??

My only Nissan experience was my '93 SE-R, which was an incredible, trouble-fee car. That was a lifetime ago, though.

I probably should add that afaik, this particular issue precat issue is confined to 02-03 Nissans with 2.5L engines. Crank angle/camshaft position sensors also tends to be common issue with this and some later model 2.5L's

Originally Posted By: JOD
It's a real drag going through something like this, but one thing I'll mention is that it's not completely brand-specific; Mazda did the same thing on a few models. The only reason I know this is that I was looking at Mazda 6 wagons (one of the coolest wagons ever made, BTW) and it was plagued with this exact same issue! Pre-cats getting sucked into and destroying the engine? really??

Everybody likes the 6 wagon....all 11 owners of them.
lol.gif

21.gif
I don't know why Mazda didn't continue it's production.
Later models are less affected. I'm probably jinxing myself but I'm almost at 100,000 miles now on my late production (07/05) model '05

Yes, fwiw(not much) there is also an extended subframe warranty on the vehicle which Nissan sent out later because of rust eating it away. Likely more of an issue up north than the south.

And yes T_S, I agree no one should be without an obdII scanner, even an inexpensive one like I own. Worth their weight in gold, for many reasons.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back