supertech walmart filter help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jorton
If there really is insufficient flow, will an open bpv flow enough to lube an engine? Shops should be seeing no start complaints or cel or seized/blown engines if these filters are bad.

It depends on how well the bypass valve is designed. If it can take the max pump flow, then it will open and the engine will be getting mostly unfiltered oil, which probably won't blow it up.

But, if the bypass valve can not handle the usual max flow from the pump, then it will restrict the flow to whatever it is when the pump is forced to go into pressure relief. Depending on the engine, that scenario could cause some engine damage.

I would not want to run one of these filters to find out.
crazy.gif

I received a reply from Champion Labs today concerning the center tube concerns. Below is the text of what they sent. Posted with their permission.

Dear Mr. Hackett:

We wish to thank you (and all of the "bobistheoilguy" forum participants as well) for returning the Super Tech oil filters and bringing the center tube perforation opening concern to our attention. We routinely monitor this website for concerns and take every comment about our products seriously. It's apparent that some of the forum participants are nearly as passionate about filter design and performance as our own Engineering design team. In fact, this is not he first instance in which we have taken prompt action to correct a customer concern thanks to website conversation.

Prior to receiving your samples , we had begun the evaluation of the perforation pattern, when the "SuperTech WM Filter Help" thread originated on January 5, 2011. We determined that the tooling wear and subsequent material build-up on the perforation punches were the root cause of the problem. The perforation punches were replaced on January 7, 2011. In addition, gaging and inspection procedures were revised and now utilize a "no-go" pin gage to check for minimum perforation size. Flow restriction testing performed in our laboratory with questionable center tubes showed showed restriction of finished filters to be acceptable, although slightly higher than normal.

The center tube of the SuperTech ST7317 filter that you provided has an open area of .27 square inches. The inside diameter of a 20mm threaded Mitsubishi mounting base stud has an open area of .21 square inches. The element assembly that you provided was resealed in a new shell and baseplate assembly and flow tested for restriction. We found the restriction to be 1.0 psid at @ 2/0 gpm and 2.0 psid @4.0 gpm flow. A filter with the correct opening pattern was tested for comparison. Restriction was 0.8 psid @ 2.0 gpm and 1.4 psid @ 4.0 gpm flow. Although the flow restriction was slightly higher than usual, the flow eould be adequate for this type filter and service application. The specific filter does have an integral pressure relief valve with an opening pressure of 11 to 17 psid.

Thank you again for your participation in helping us correct this manufacturing concern. We appreciate and respect comments from our customers that help us to produce the products they expect. Please review the enclosed service report. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,
Don Rigg
Technical Information Director

The test results:

1. The media in all three filters was dry.

2. The ST7317 was already cut open prior to being returned.

3. All three filters were visually examined. As reported, the louvers in the metal center tube are shallow. The perforations were measured an confirmed to be below our minimum perforation size.

4. The center tube from the ST7317 was removed and reassembled using new endcaps (without the bypass valve) in a new shell and baseplate assembly for flow restriction testing.

5. The reassembled filter was flow tested at 2.0 gpm and 4.0 gpm using SAE 30 at 180F. The restriction was 1.0 psid. and 2.0 psid., respectively.

6. For comparison, an identical type filter with the correct opening pattern was also tested at 2.0 gpm and 4.0 gpm. The restriction was 0.8 psid and 1.4 psid., respecively.

7. Although the laboratory results confirm the center tube with the shallow perforations do exhibit a slightly higher restriction to flow, the flow is adequate for this type filter and application.

Although the shallow perforations are cosmetically undesirable and below our specifications, the filters are completely functional.

Ed

I am impressed with their response, testing of the center, and corrective action. Not sure if I am swayed to purchase one yet, but I would certainly consider it (non ecore designs).

WOW, very impressive! It is even cooler that they "troll" here looking for someone complaining or giving kudos.

I just got the autozone deal, M1 0w-40, and M1 filter for $30. The M1-103 filter I wanted has the slits and spiral center tube. They weren't open much at all, just barely open, at the ones I looked into. So I went with other ones that had round holes. I hope they get Mobil to upgrade the filter to the RP type, then it will be more in line with $12.99 price.

Why did they go with the slits anyway, the little "hood" on the slit directs the oil flow?

If they read here, they haven't done yet much about the ecore concerns with media pushing through the inner cage.

Pretty good site here, as long as people feel welcome to share, and not be afraid of being knocked down because of something they say. I would never have thought to look in the center tube for a defect.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Why did they go with the slits anyway, the little "hood" on the slit directs the oil flow?

I doubt it has anything to do with obtaining better "flow dynamics". Probably more related to simpler manufacturing processes.

Very impressive and informative reply from Champion Labs. They didn't white wash it or not provide all the facts either, and admitted there was a manufacturing issue. I could imagine that some of the defective center tubes had a higher restriction than the tested one, but it sounds like they are on top of the issue now and I would use Supertechs whenever I needed an inexpensive filter fast.

Soooo, this means that Champ is satisfied that all ST filters made before 1/7/11, with the louvered/slit design meet enough of an "adequate/acceptable" standard as to pose no restriction/flow issues in any of those filters.

Not quite sure what the mention of bypass/bypass pressure is meant to imply. It appears that coming after the mention of the small increase in restriction/psid with said 7317 filter, that the bypass would handle/compensate for any slight increase in psid of said questionable filters. Ok.

Bottom line, while the ST filters' centertube in question didn't meet the design specs, they are good enough as to pose no danger to any engine in which they are used.

Much ado about nothing?
21.gif

Champion Labs is a top notch company. Now, if they would just reinforce the Ecore media support and switch to silicon combo valve...we'd have another trustworthy, inexpensive filter choice I think.

Yes sayjac, MUCH ADO BOUT NOT A DARN THING! At my workplace all we use is CHAMP LABS filters, and only on for a ford escape leaked at the seam of the canister. Champ paid to rebuild the motor and they sent us 5 cases of ph 500's for nothing. I am seriously going to use a ST 7317 on my civic on the next oci. Who cares if it has slits or holes; honestly people get a life. If it was that bad of a filter engines would be blowing up left and right, as it doesnt take a darn mechanical engineer or a mechanic to make a filter thats satisfactory. On my ships in the navy, they had WIX filter elements and centrifugal spinner elements and never any problems.

adam

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
Yes sayjac, MUCH ADO BOUT NOT A DARN THING! At my workplace all we use is CHAMP LABS filters, and only on for a ford escape leaked at the seam of the canister. Champ paid to rebuild the motor and they sent us 5 cases of ph 500's for nothing. I am seriously going to use a ST 7317 on my civic on the next oci. Who cares if it has slits or holes; honestly people get a life...

adam

Ummm...well...if you read a few responses back, you'll see the engineers at Champion Labs seem to care, since they've changed their manufacturing protocol as a result of this thread.

You seem like a very angry fellow.

If you carefully read my last statement, "much ado about nothing", there is a question mark at the end. Quite frankly, based on latest information, I would now avoid the purchase of ST filters, or any Champ made filter with this center tube design for some time. That time would be until the centertube as designed and spec'd is on the the shelves, ie., manufactured after 1/7/11. Not sure how one would know that, but I would look down the centertube, if I wasn't completely satisfied/confident with what I saw, that is all louvers/slits open, I'd have to pass. Yes, worst case as implied, the bypass would theoretically handle any excessive increase in psid, but that also means unfiltered oil returns to the engine. JMO

Originally Posted By: JOD
...you'll see the engineers at Champion Labs seem to care, since they've changed their manufacturing protocol as a result of this thread.

Now if they would also tweak the ADBV machine mold a little, they could eliminate the chronic start-up-death-rattle on the K&N and Mobil 1 EP filters.

Shame to have such a well engineered high end filter deemed unusable by so many, for so many years, because of overnight leakdown.

I should clarify, I have only had what I suspect as a start-up noise problem once with these ^^^ filters once, but I have heard a lot about it from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back