Schaeffer 7000,5w30,2010 Equinox 4 cyl DI

Status
Not open for further replies.
3500 on oil. 4k total on vehicle. I could be happier. Test done by Schaeffer.
Code:

Copper 9

Iron 29

Chromium 1

Aluminum 6

Lead 0

Moly 257

Phos 605

Zinc 656

Magnesium 23

Calcium 1593

Sodium 2

Potassium 2

Antifreeze 0

H20 0

Silicon 11

Viscosity 7.62

Sulfur 0

Oxidation 6

Nitration 12

Sample is positive for fuel dilution. Viscosity reduction due to fuel dilution. Oil should be changed.

This oil was run from 500 miles to 3500 miles. This was warm weather driving, no short trips. Looks like another DI engine beating up on the oil. Comments welcome, and needed.
PS.. Considering GC, and or RLI for the fuel dilution issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Schaeffer's is a very good oil. I would give it at least two or three more oil changes with this oil to see if it settles down. At least let the car break in all the way before you give up on it.

The Schaeffer's should be able to handle whatever your OLM throws at it.

Decent report considering the engine is new and fuel dilution. It sure sheared a lot. Let's get a trend of UOAs going before we make any final judgements.

There is probably still some breaking in going on.

My Father has a Equinox and the factory fill is Synthetic as well as what the dealership gives you when you go have it serviced there.
I don't think synthetics hold up better to fuel dilution, but there may be a little better performance from them.

I wouldn't put anything too pricy in it until you have another 5,000 miles on the engine. Although what you pay to DIY with Amsoil is probably what my father pays the Dealership.

Thx Johnny. You are like EF Hutton and I'm listening. Any comments on fuel dilution and the 20 weight viscosity from it in only 3500 miles? The next analysis will be coming up in a month.

in my 2010 traverse with the DI-
iron appeared to be trending down at 12K miles- compared to the earlier UOA at 6K
So id agree with what the poster above said-- get a few more UOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Thx Johnny. You are like EF Hutton and I'm listening. Any comments on fuel dilution and the 20 weight viscosity from it in only 3500 miles? The next analysis will be coming up in a month.

Ef Hutton I wish
grin2.gif

With the engine being new + the fuel, shearing in 3,500 miles does not bother me in the least. Actually, it does not bother me at all if it shears to a 20W, as long as it does not shear below that. Actually, after break-in, you might try running a change with some 5W-20 and see how it holds up.

Schaeffer's also makes an excellent 5W-20.

Thanks gents. I'm expecting (hoping?) that fuel dilution trends down as the engine breaks in. Really like the Equinox, it's a keeper. Hope to get 10 years and 150k out of it. Will post next results in about a month.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

What was the fuel percentage in your oil?

The analysis does not list a percentage. Just that it is positive, and abnormal. 30 weight is from 9.3 to 12.4 cst at 100c. Maybe someone could estimate the percentage of fuel present to get the oil to 7.6..??

I know this is during break-in, but I'm not impressed.

Either your fuel is over 4%, or this oil has no shear-resistance.

Some of that iron wear is simply from the oil not protecting against fuel - modern oils should have ability to 'shrug off' the effects of fuel - 7.62cst in less than 4k miles? It ain't here!

I'm liking these DI engines less and less every day......

Last edited:
Thanks gents. I'm expecting (hoping?) that fuel dilution trends down as the engine breaks in. Really like the Equinox, it's a keeper. Hope to get 10 years and 150k out of it. Will post next results in about a month.

The Equinox is a very nice vehicle.
What kind of MPGs are you getting with the 4 cylinder Equinox?

Originally Posted By: pbm
beanoil said:

"The Equinox is a very nice vehicle.
What kind of MPGs are you getting with the 4 cylinder Equinox?"

Around 27 MPG overall. An odd ball high of 37 on one tank during a recent trip, and a low of 24 running around Washington, DC during the same trip. I checked my figures on the 37MPG tank. Mine are good, I feel the pump wasn't accurate. But, it was flat, steady speed, and eth free, so who knows?

Last edited:
Really like the Equinox, it's a keeper.

I agree, I have rented a couple of them. Nice vehicle. Excellent legroom, for this 6'7" driver.

So much for break-in. And so much for the GM OLM....
5000 miles on oil, 18,000 miles on vehicle
Schaeffer's 9k 5w30

Code:

Copper 2

Iron 43

Chromium 2

Aluminum 7

Lead 1

Moly 286

Phos 666

Zinc 722

Magnesium 22

Calcium 1622

Sodium 2

Potassium 3

Antifreeze 0

Positive for fuel dilution

H2O 0

Silicon 8

Viscosity 6.94

SAE ISO 20 weight

Sulfur 3

Oxidation 5

Nitration 14

Schaeffer's quote
"Positive fuel dilution. Viscosity reduction due to fuel dilution. Oil should be changed, if not changed at time of sample."

So there it is. I don't see any point in running a premium oil like Schaeffer's 9k when it's just getting diluted with fuel in about half of it's potential. The OLM in this case would be laughable, IMO, good enough for GM to make the powertrain warranty. And I see issues down the line with this much fuel dilution, the resulting drop in viscosity, and the oil giving off whatever light ends and contaminants to the PCV system. By 18,000 miles I expect the engine to be pretty much broken in, but the fuel dilution trend seems to support a shorter OCI for this vehicle, and a good, reasonably priced oil. All comments welcome.....

Last edited by a moderator:
"So there it is. I don't see any point in running a premium oil like Schaeffer's 9k when it's just getting diluted with fuel in about half of it's potential. The OLM in this case would be laughable, IMO, good enough for GM to make the powertrain warranty."

Couldn't agree with you more - you hit the nail on the head.

These GM DI engines will become a nightmare, like the 3.4 V-6, for GM owners in 4-6 years.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I know this is during break-in, but I'm not impressed.

Either your fuel is over 4%, or this oil has no shear-resistance.

Some of that iron wear is simply from the oil not protecting against fuel - modern oils should have ability to 'shrug off' the effects of fuel - 7.62cst in less than 4k miles? It ain't here!

I'm liking these DI engines less and less every day......

I agree, especially about liking the DI engines less and less every day. Looks like OLM might need to be reprogrammed to shorten the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back