whos running valvoline VR1? opinions of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im redoing an fe 390 ford, im not really into the hdeo that im sure is of popular opinion, so what about VR1?

I guess I can't give too much of an opinion, other than I use it in my MG for the ZDDP. Seems to be cleaning up the old sludge from the cylinder head nicely though.

if it`s any conciliation the Vr1 full Synthetic 10W-30 made the v-twin kohler courage motor in my cub cadet run smooth as glass.even wide open.

guys let me clarify, im not thinking syn for this engine, if that changes ideas/thoughts?

VR1 is a conventional oil and I have used it in many of my classic cars including a survivor 1970 Boss 302 and a survivor 1963 427 Galaxie. I also have friends that use it their 65 Shelby GT-350's. It is a very good oil that is easy to find and I would highly recommend it in your FE motor.

Valvoline Racing syn oil is ok but not what I would recommend for a driver...

Yeah,get the VR1 conventional. It`s the same price as the Valvoline dino white bottle. You can get it in 10W30,20W50,and in mono 50 and 60.

my engine builder runs it in his dirt tracker and my brother who works for him runs it in his street/strip car, they swear by it

Is this the Valvoline "racing oil"? If so, be aware that a racing oil does not usually contain the amount of additives that would be required for a daily driver. But the car you're working on doesn't seem to be a Daily driver.

My mechanic loves VR-1 20w-50 in his S6. He changes it every 1000 miles or so. Original KKK turbo after 200k on 22lbs of boost.

We used to run the 20w50 in high performance powerboat engines. Never had a problem.

Also, I have checked the Valvoline website recently, and they have a Synthetic VR1, which is sapphire blue in color. Sounds interesting, but they don't have a product data sheet on it. This is a different oil than their other racing synthetic, which is called NSL, for Not Street Legal. (Sounds good just for that reason.)

Last edited:
I e-mailed Valvoline, and they promptly supplied a spec sheet for Racing Synthetic:
5w30
kv100=10.8, kv40=61, VI=170, TBN=8, FlashPt=223C, Pour Point=-42C, CCS=5200, NOACK
Looks kind of light on zddp content, but has more than an SM oil. In fact it is SL. TBN seems good for a gasoline engine. The NOACK number is higher than I have seen for other oils, which are mostly less than 11%. Maybe it will lead to high oil consumption.

The 20w50 version does have higher phosphorous content at 1300ppm. This is more of a traditional Valvoline Racing oil number for P.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
My mechanic loves VR-1 20w-50 in his S6. He changes it every 1000 miles or so. Original KKK turbo after 200k on 22lbs of boost.

Did you mean to say he is changing the oil every 10,000 miles? Changing every 1000 seems much too soon.

Another fun fact about Valvoline VR1 Racing oil is that the dino version in 10w30 grade is SH-rated. It's such a throwback, it doesn't meet SL! This is probably due to the Phosphorous content of 1300ppm. This goes back to 1994 in terms of service rating, and should be good for old flat-tappet engines.

mr A_Harman, i thank you for your time and effort
thumbsup2.gif
, youve got me curious of that syn now

1000 miles is the number.

It's not VR-1 Synth, it's Valvoline Racing Synth. I have a bunch and it is well-regarded on the racing oil forum here.

There are at least 2 dino VR-1 oils, one is "not legal for street", maybe that is the SH, because I remember regular VR-1 being SL, like the racing synth.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Another fun fact about Valvoline VR1 Racing oil is that the dino version in 10w30 grade is SH-rated. It's such a throwback, it doesn't meet SL! This is probably due to the Phosphorous content of 1300ppm. This goes back to 1994 in terms of service rating, and should be good for old flat-tappet engines.

This sounds like what i need for when i fire up the old V6 in that camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back