All TCW3 the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious about opinions as I've switched the vehicles from mmo to tcw3. The reason I ask is that the pennzoil synthetic is ~$28 at Walmart while the Supertech is $12. I splurged and got the pennzoil for my first gallon, but it is expensive, and I'm wondering if I'll get identical benefits with Supertech, or the pennzoil premium at ~$16.

The ratio I'm using is 640:1, or 1oz to every 5 gallons of gasoline. After several tankfuls, so far so good. Subjectively, the engine seems smoother from idle on up. Objectively, who knows? My mpg are constant, pre use and post.

I would think so....but anyways, nows a good time to do the testing :") Run a couple tanks with the Pennzoil TCW3, and then a couple tanks with the SuperTech.....I'd opt for the SuperTech, personally. Infact, I don't think my WM even has "Pennzoil" TCW3......all they have is the smallish (8 or 16 oz.....) bottle of TCW3 and the "premix" with the measuring aparatus.

Well, if it's TCW3 then you know it meets the minimum specifications set forth by that standard... beyond that, you'll have to look at the PDS and see what's important to you.

I don't think you'll notice any difference in performance using Supertech vs Pennzoil, especially at 640:1.

If you had a high performance or expensive 2 stroke engine then Pennzoil Synthetic would be better. For a car engine, I do not know. I buy the Pennzoil semi synthetic XLF for ~$13 a gallon.

I've been buying the Pennzoil Marine stuff from AutoZone. I like how it turns a Martha Stewart pastel purple when i mix its blueness with the red MMO.

Difference? In performance, perhaps not, or it may be in the noise, at least given the mileage and time on it by most users.

Open a bottle of amsoil saber and then supertech. Supertech smells like half-burned diesel fuel, sabre doesnt hardly smell like anything. Pennzoil is inbetween, etc. There is obviously a difference in makeup.

At the ratios we add into it, the purpose really is just to add a super thin lube layer for system lubricity and prevention of fouling. Were not really reliant on it to do much so its not a big deal. The +/- is so small that it isnt much of an issue.

But the supertech stinks so bad I wont keep it in my car, I keep saber.

I run Quick Silver, I cant say if it smells like anything because I've never ran anything else.

I've only used Castrol Super Outboard TC-W3. Its cheap and readily available here (I buy it by the 4 quart jug), and it not only meets the TC-W3 spec, but states it is ashless as well on the back of the bottle. I know as part of meeting the TC-W3 spec, the oil must be ashless; but seeing it in black and white is reassuring all the same, as I'm fine with using any cheap TC-W3 oil (it just happens to be Castrol here).

-Spyder

I've used a couple of gallons of SuperTech TC-W3 and have not had any problems with the oil in the fuel.

I then found a great deal on the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend TC-W3 at Auto Zone. It was discounted way down and I bought all they had on the shelf. So far I've not noticed any difference in SuperTech and Pennzoil other than the smell.

IMO...Pennzoil Synthetic Blend is not as strong smelling as SuperTech but SuperTech is the best bang for your buck if you can't find TC-W3 for less.

3-1/2 to 4 oz of Wally tc3w with 2 oz stabil to keep down the aroma in the green top Lucas bottle per 17 gal 87 octane Wally E10. Can't "feel" the difference but seems like it would keep the f pump and/or injectors lubed if anything. dunno. just waiting for someone with results someday 'cause I know someone out there has the time and resources to do a comparison from cap to tailpipe. While I wait, i'll just keep doin' it.

Good to know you guys are still doing this.
I'm still adding TWC 3 2cycle oil to my gas also.

Using Pennzoil Marine, supposedly it also has preservatives in it.

I'm using it because my truck is my 3rd vehicle and it can take months to use a full tank of gas. I figure the TCW 3 helps out to stabilize the fuel and add a bit of extra lube where the ethanol that is forced upon us dries things out and absorbs water out of thin air.

I add about 1 fluid oz for every 5 gallons of gas, seems to work well.

Just glad to see that I am not the only one out there doing this.

As a diesel owner and driver, diesel has gone to an "Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel". That means it burns cleaner, with less sulfur emissions to make the acid rain. BUT, it also makes the fuel more solvent, and takes the lubing properties from the fuel. Adding tcw3 to the fuel lubes the lift pump, and smooths out the idle, as it also burns clean in a high compression engine like a diesel. Remember that diesel IS an oil burning engine, and burns the fuel from compression, not ignition from a spark.

I have found with my Cummins engine in my Dodge, that 20-24 ounces in 30gallons, makes the engine much nicer to drive, and since the tcw3 from wally world is also an ashless oil, burns clean. I am currently getting about 21-23 mpg on the highway at 70mph! That is better than my Jeep Cherokee, with the 4.0 gas motor, and I drive to Oregon monthly, so that can make a difference for me. Too bad the "Powers o0f Commerce" have jacked Diesel to over 4.40 a gallon right now!

One thing I would note, adding MMO may get you fined and pulled from the road if the inspectors dip the diesel tank and find RED color. They will think it is "Off Road Only" diesel!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back