Motorcraft 5W50, 1359 Miles, 2007 Ford GT500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my first UOA on an oil sample taken at 1359 miles. My car had 8741 miles at the time. Even with 1359 miles on the oil, it sheared to a 40 grade.

The levels of Zn and P contradict the low levels measured on the virgin sample I previously sent in, so this oil contains normal levels of ZDDP expected from an API SM/SN oil.

MC_5W50_UOA.jpg

Last edited:
Shearing down by one grade seems pretty normal for 50 and 60 weight oils. I've only had one UOA of a 5w-50 before and it was down a grade after 2000 miles. I use 10w-60 in my BMW and it shears to a 50 weight within the first 100 miles after install.

Good report, by the way.

I ran Mobil 1 5w-50 in my Porsche Cayman S for ~2,200mi (VOA & UOA's both posted on BITOG); it also sheared to a 40w. NOTE -- appx. 525 mi of that OCI were driven at the track (Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen), so I wasn't too surprised to see this.

I remember seeing your VOA with the incredibly low amount of additives -- I suspect what happened was that the additives had settled out in the bottle and weren't captured in your sample. Clearly now that they were "mixed" in the motor, we're seeing a more representative sample of what's really in this oil.

I'd been thinking about trying Redline 5w-50. It turns out that Summit Racing (8mi from me) doesn't carry that grade. Since both the M1 & Redline 5w-50's would be mail order options, I'll stay with the slightly cheaper M1 option ($39/6qts from AVlube.com)

Matt

Originally Posted By: Matt_N

I remember seeing your VOA with the incredibly low amount of additives -- I suspect what happened was that the additives had settled out in the bottle and weren't captured in your sample. Clearly now that they were "mixed" in the motor, we're seeing a more representative sample of what's really in this oil.

I share the same theory. Had I shook the bottle before taking the sample, perhaps the P and Zn levels in the virgin sample would have been more representative.

I'd been thinking about trying Redline 5w-50. It turns out that Summit Racing (8mi from me) doesn't carry that grade. Since both the M1 & Redline 5w-50's would be mail order options, I'll stay with the slightly cheaper M1 option ($39/6qts from AVlube.com)
Matt

I switched to Red Line 5W50 at the last oil change. I bought it by the gallon on-line at Jeggs.

Last edited:
Do you plan a UOA or VOA on the Redline 5w-50?? I'd be very curious to see what that oil looks like!!

How much for a gallon at Jegs?

Do you plan a UOA or VOA on the Redline 5w-50?? I'd be very curious to see what that oil looks like!!

How much for a gallon at Jegs?

Yes I'll be doing both, but it will be a-while before I can do the UOA. $42.99 per gallon at Jegs plus a handling fee.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Red+Line+Oil/816/11605/10002/-1

Last edited:
Looks fine.

Don't forget about Schaeffer's 5w50! Very good oil, usually priced better than Amsoil/Redline as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back