New ST7317 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really an extension of this thread, but since I've got pictures, I figured I'd start a new thread for any discussion of the filter.

You can see the nitrile ADBV and spiraled perforated steel center tube:

IMG_5421.JPG

All of the parts exploded:

IMG_5422.JPG

Lots of glue in the end caps, and the media appears very secure. It was impossible to pull apart the end caps by hand (to disassemble the element assembly):

IMG_5423.JPG

Though the steel center tube was spiraled, I did not like the perforations. There appears to be very little area for the oil to flow through. They’re not holes, but punched perforations. I’m sure it passed design spec and works just fine. It’s just not very visually appealing. The bypass valve was easy to operate, and appeared to require a firm pressure to open it:

IMG_5425.JPG

This is an “old” new ST7313 (manufactured in 2007) compared with a “new” new ST7313 (manufactured in 2010). You can see that the “old” style does not have a spiraled center tube, but the holes are much larger. I prefer the old style, though admit that’s based 100% on visual aspects only:

IMG_5426.JPG

Thanks, Those little pores are like what I have in my K&N oil filter. Doesn't seem like they would allow much flow but havn't noticed any dif either way. Thanks for the pics.

Yep i'd rather have the nice round holes in the center tube vs the little slots with the seam and no holes at all,just looks restrictive,,hey at least it has steel end caps.

Overall, I like the filter. It seems to be well-assembled and simple. As mentioned in the previous thread, this one was opened, half because the element could be moved with my finger, and half because I just wanted to see how it was made inside. I like the simplicity of the design. This is the second "new" ST7317 filter I've had where the element would move. The "old" style feels much more secure. I don't know if the leaf springs on the new ones are weaker, or mal-formed, or what. I'm sure I couldn't know that...there's probably a dimension spec that Champion Labs can reference.

I'll use the three "old" new ST7317s without reservation for my 5K OCIs, and I'd use a newer one as well, if I was sure the element wasn't moving around inside the can.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Thanks, Those little pores are like what I have in my K&N oil filter. Doesn't seem like they would allow much flow but havn't noticed any dif either way. Thanks for the pics.

If you added up all the area of all those little holes in the center tube, it will be more than the area of the main mounting hole in the base plate. Can't go by "visual analysis" when it comes to flow stuff.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Can't go by "visual analysis" when it comes to flow stuff.
wink.gif

Of course, you are correct. I'm sure the "new" design is stronger as well, with the spiraled center tube. The "old" design is a rather thin piece of sheetmetal with a single vertical crimp.

There sure doesn't look to be a lot of media surface area ... give it a quick measure and see what you get.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm sure the "new" design is stronger as well, with the spiraled center tube. The "old" design is a rather thin piece of sheetmetal with a single vertical crimp.

Yep, the spiral center tube looks like an improvement over the old design.

Just what I was thinking, Z06. The filter looks sturdy and well made, but they sure seem skimpy on the media. Probably not a good candidate for extended drains? Perfect for the 3-5k interval though, I'd guess!

The pleats are 7/16" wide by about 2-1/4" tall. So each pleat has an area of 0.984" x 2 = 1.969" sq. There are 41 pleats, for a total of 80.729" sq. I seem to recall the Purolator P/L14610 having a little over 100" sq. in its media.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1837465

So yeah, less than the Purolator. Comparing the external size of the ST7317 to the PL14610 I have on the shelf, the Purolator is about 1/2" taller/longer. So the estimated difference in media here does correlate to the difference in can size.

Probably good for a standard 5K OCI as stated above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The pleats are 7/16" wide by about 2-1/4" tall. So each pleat has an area of 0.984" x 2 = 1.969" sq. There are 41 pleats, for a total of 80.729" sq. I seem to recall the Purolator P/L14610 having a little over 100" sq. in its media.

That's more area than I would have thought by looking at it. It has just a hair less than a 14459 which has 84 in^2. The 14610 has about 104 in^2.

Originally Posted By: webfors
More media please! Well constructed though. When I can get a P1 for $3 at AAP that's what I would choose.

Me too. Even at the regular price of the PureOne ($5-6), I'd prefer it.

Thats what I like about the Purolator clones, they have much more pleats for the same size filter (ST7317 verses say Proline 14610 filter).

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Thats what I like about the Purolator clones, they have much more pleats for the same size filter (ST7317 verses say Proline 14610 filter).

I took a Proline PPL-14610 OFF the MDX when I recently installed the PL-14610. I should've cut the PPL open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back