Grease ?? for chain drive on Tiller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The family has a old Yard-Man Tiller Model #21030-7 that recently broke down due to a badly worn chain drive sprocket.

The tiller is 30 years old, but only saw about an hour of use on average each year. The engine, carriage, & tines were well maintained, but the chain drive failed this year.

An inspection showed that the original grease, {the maintenance manual calls "Plastilube #0 Grease"} failed to climb the chain and keep the upper sprocket lubricated. That and some moisture probably from washing the tiller down after use, lead to corrosion and extreme wear on the sprocket.

I have an inclination that there might well be a better grease that would lubricate the chains/sprockets in the box AND resist the minor moisture intrusion from washing.

I would appreciate any advice on choosing a better grease.

I'd use a chain lube for motorcycles. I've been inpressed with bel-ray chain lube and champions choice is aoustanding also. if possible a sealed chain would help, but would cost a fair amout more than a standard chain.

From an inspection of the chain housing, we feel that a heavy gear lube would leak out the shaft areas. The seals are not sufficient enough to hold back even a heavy oil.

Dad is interested in finding the Mobil synthetic.
From reading other posts here, I've also recommended the Mystik JT-6.

Other ideas still welcome.

I'd use a grease that bleeds a bit, like the generic Mobil 1 at auto places, or a heavy gear oil like 75W-140.

Where is this chain located. Interior or exterior?

Does the chain see dirt or does it stay pretty clean?

Couple of easy products from Amsoil would be

The HDMP, this stuff goes on wet then dries to a wax like film. It won't rust and won't wash off with normal water. It can be used as an undercoating as well.

The other product is Amsoil's 5th wheel and open gear compound. It's synthetic spray's out of a can and would protect that chain as well. Though it' is wet and would attract dirt.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
Where is this chain located. Interior or exterior?

Does the chain see dirt or does it stay pretty clean?

The drive consists of two chains and four sprokets mounted inside a fully-encased and factory-sealed housing. It's gasketed, screws together, with ~16 bolts, and the assembly does not lend itself to periodic inspection.

Seals on the input/output shafts are to resist dirt/moisture intrusion and grease loss. They are not sufficient enough to hold an oil.

With out a question Schaeffers #227 Moly chain lube,,,check with site sponser if he can sell a can or two,,,,this stuff on chains is very superior to other products,make sure your chain is clean when applyed,wipe off excess,,you will like this lube,,,BL

I'd try to put a O ring chain on it. Whats the size and pitch? I may have some laying around that would work.

Sorry guys, but I think some of you are not visulizing how the average fully-enclosed tillert chain drive is constructed.

The drive consists of two chains and four sprokets mounted inside a fully-encased and factory-sealed housing. It's gasketed, screws together, with ~16 bolts, and the assembly is not intended for periodic inspection.

So I'm not spraying a lite chain lube on these chains and then sealing it up for another 10 years and expecting it to last.

Sorry, the replacement chanins & sprokets are bought & installed. The force on the chain can be considerable when the tines hit hard dirt or sod at speed. We can't second-guess the assembly with an o-ring drive.

The manufacturer designed the inside of the case to hold a grease and they call out a grease, and that's whats going in. I just wanted a better grease then the Plastilube that was in it.

Looks like my choices for a grease are the Mobil 1 as mentioned in the first reply or Mystik JT-6.

Thanks for all your help.

[ April 16, 2005, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: fnbrowning ]

Some older bikes used to have drip oilers for the chains. Maybe you rig up a zerk fitting that deposits some grease on the chain, either with a tube or just by dropping grease on the chain, to add some once in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back