Problem With NAPA Pro-Select Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
photo0013yg0.jpg

There is the seal between the bypass part of the combo valve and the outlet of the filter. If anything, it probably bypasses a ton more oil than any other type of bypass design!

Thanks drew - nice focus on the coat rack
wink.gif
Mine (old one) doesnt seal. The ADBV leafs are also tough/ not pliable. E10 on the oil affect nitrile? I'll look at the in-service one when I get it cut open. The reason I ran this again was BC my service maintenance notes said it worked great at the time. I am (almost) a Wix/ Napa fanboy - if I wasnt so impartial!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
ARCOgraphite - go get a Purolator Classic and be done with it.
wink.gif

The current PC/BOSCH dont fit on my engine - only engage < 2 threads. One thread engages until the gasket kisses, then the 3/4 to tight. Now theres a thread end bypass! Same prob with Fram. The 1 NZFE requires a severely convex baseplate (domed UP) with the threaded bung almost at gasket level. The 2AZFE on the rav (same filter spec) had no problem. The nipple on my Yaris is very short. Maybe BC the filters are lawn tractor filters and are the size of a tennis ball ;(

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Now as to whether the combo valve actually caused the OP's "noisey valvetrain" is another matter altogether. Seeing as the OP has a history of startup noise and VVI cam phase issues when using other filters like the Fram XG, and grenading two engines on the first day of ownership in the past 3 years, might lead one to have just tad of doubt.
whistle.gif

Say what?
Who has two engines blow up the first day???

Say what?
Who has two engines blow up the first day???

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
So it's the ADBV part of the filter that's not sealing and the oils draining out?

I have poor camera skills! Plus it was my phone camera.
The problem filter is still on the car - I picked up an AC Delco (non-ecore champ) in the meantime. The used filter that i cut open has a shrunken rubber combo valve - but leaks the most where it fits on the end-plate centertube(core)outlet - no seal whatsoever. This unit ran GOOD on the car at the time though! I'll take pics of the one that comes off - or send it to sayjac for testing (if he wants it).

lol.gif
Don't send it to me, I'm just trying to grasp your issue. There's two places/ways where the combo valve might not work properly. Either the adbv portion which seals to the base with the help of the coil spring. Or, the bypass, which from looking at the design, is supposed to seal down the centertube a bit on a ledge or flange. If the latter was not sealing at all then the filter would be in bypass all the time.

I would think the adbv would be ok, so the bypass must be your complaint. Without actually seeing one first hand, I can't tell. Somewhat hard to comprehend that all the NPS using the combo valve, would have a designed leaky bypass leaving the factory?

The bigger question might be, as shown in your pics, you obviously used this design with combo valve before. If you didn't care for it back then, why buy/use again? The "rubber grommet" couldn't/shouldn't have been a surprise to you this time.

fwiw, I too prefer the classic separate metal bypass design, dome or thread end.

Like I said it worked OK once before in mild weather. This is winter service. I try to use filters with silicone ADBV.

Obviously the materials are inadequate given how shrunken and pasty the and non-pliable "Nitrile" is. Disappointing.

++Could there be an oil dilution E10 effect on the materials?

##None of my other saved filters (I save ALL filters through warranty) none show this level of deterioration.

## I didnt know it had the rubber combo valve - the NAPA site doesnt mention this PN - I just cut it open to see the construction given I was having problems. Expected a metal bypass (ala std wix). I suspect filter FIRST oil second.

After this I will NEVER by a pro-s filter again - also given how they have the filter area of a inline gas filter. Center tube is too big and absolutely not enough pleats.

The only filter out of tens of brands I tried that worked 100% transparent was the OEM Denso Japon #90915-10003 with FOAMED density media, Sirubber ADBV and gasketing, flow directors/swirlers and dome end 45 rpm adapter bypass spring (ala Lexus Denso). I could get them for a while through McGeorge Toyota - but no longer available anywhere in the US.

I believe the ProSelects currently on the shelves use three different bypass types, Wix/NG type thread end, Purolator type dome end, and that rubbery combo ADBV-bypass valve.
Arco, can you find a longer nipple?

Originally Posted By: river_rat

Arco, can you find a longer nipple?

Some members theorized that his filter nipple was installed backwards at the factory. Could be ....
whistle.gif

DELCO 1233 filter installed last night, and NO oiling issues to report on a 13deg F cold start today. This filter uses a plastic traditional dome end bypass and TONS of media in its form factor. No more bad stuff N-brand low-end filters for me - much worse than OCoD.

I dont toyota guys are paying proper attention when mounting the filter on their 1nz. My background and training MAKES me notice problems that others miss or dismiss. Let me ride in you car(s) I'll report tens of issues that you are currently unaware of
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Let me ride in you car(s) I'll report tens of issues that you are currently unaware of
wink.gif

I got a rattle trap you can ride in...bring lunch and a notebook.
eek.gif

BTW, Have you tried the AC Delco Classic filters? They are a reissue of the good old Delco pre-ecores used to get. I can't find them in stores but Amazon has them in the $7-8 range. Same part numbers but with a CL suffix. eg, PF-13CL instead of PF-13 (ecore).

The filter I put on (AC Delco PF1233) is a pre-Ecore. I looked inside to confirm it had the old perforated metal center tube. The parts store employees always come over to ask if I need help when i'm opening multiple filter boxes
smile.gif
I could have bought the STP (also champ labs) instead, but if I exploded my engine I felt the toyota service manager would more readily approve of the "AC DELCO" brand over STP:) Looked the same when sat side by side - I recall AC had in the past spec'd a "better" glass/celluose blend media ove the jobber "store brand" champs labs.

Last edited:
Wow! I can't find any new old stock Delcos anymore around these parts. They may use a better media than some but I think it's similar to STP. Maybe a couple percent more efficient. Anyway, I used to use them all the time but cut off with the ecore. Since then I given ecores a try and quit again when I saw the media blow holes in the side.
It could be a good filter with a few mods. But I'm off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back