Your experience:Noisiest oils/quietest oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: panthermike
I forgot to add in my first post; Synpower(5w30) was noisy in the '05 Corolla, but quiet in an '06 Equinox? Corolla had 3 fills as well. That was the only time where I've experienced a "noisy" oil.

thats odd, it`s real quiet/smooth in my RX.

Regarding hearing the finer points of tone quality of music, and musical instruments:

When my guitar teacher with a Doctors in music, complimented my Taylor815, I told him thanks but I did not build it, I only chose it. He said "yes, but you chose very well".

Later he told me that he thought his Alvarez and his Martin were the only guitars he would ever need, but now he is thinking that he needs another guitar, and that is going to be a Taylor.

Sound is a very complex thing, and with enough time, any part of it can be measured. But a good human ear with a sound mind can pick thing out in real time, faster than a team of engineers can.

That said, regarding ear training, some musicians can listen to to the beginning of a song and tell you the notes, and cords. While others may not have learned the name of the tones, they hear, and can identify the song buy those few tones. They may very well be hearing every thing, but just not trained to the same level.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
.... in the past I only had one car that I could hear the valves, and that was the 1976 Volare 225 straight 6. I could tell if the oil was old or new by the sound of the valves. I cold also tell if the valves required adjustment.

What a great engine! I owned 2 of them, back in the day; had to adjust the valvetrain every 20k when it got noisy on the '74. By '77 they'd gone with hydraulic lifters and no adjustment necessary.

Regarding hearing the finer points of tone quality of music, and musical instruments:

When my guitar teacher with a Doctors in music, complimented my Taylor815, I told him thanks but I did not build it, I only chose it. He said "yes, but you chose very well".

Later he told me that he thought his Alvarez and his Martin were the only guitars he would ever need, but now he is thinking that he needs another guitar, and that is going to be a Taylor.

Sound is a very complex thing, and with enough time, any part of it can be measured. But a good human ear with a sound mind can pick thing out in real time, faster than a team of engineers can.

That said, regarding ear training, some musicians can listen to to the beginning of a song and tell you the notes, and cords. While others may not have learned the name of the tones, they hear, and can identify the song buy those few tones. They may very well be hearing every thing, but just not trained to the same level.

I find the same with TVs. The more i look at them, the more i say to myself, "I vastly prefer the reds, purples, and detail of this cheaper set to that expensive one. And it is a Zenith!" and so on, and so on. Never knew TV difference could be so drastic. Sound IS distinctive to each person. That said, old school Cerwin Vega Home Theatre speakers (remember them?) are going to be SUPERIOR to cheap, light, pine box Optimus speakers with 10 watts.
lol.gif

Same with Oil, except that some oil -sucks- 90% is FINE and the rest has High Fe issues.
27.gif

And some have books of proof that that is OK, and some say "No thanks, MY oil doesnt have Fe."

And both are correct.

coffee2.gif

Jumping into this post late.

Most oils seem OK in all of my/our vehicles. I have noticed that Mobil 1 oils seem to make the engines seem a bit more audiable than what I have ever experienced. Not loud, just more noticeable. Made a laged score($1/qt)on Mobil 1 SL/GF-3 several years ago at AutoZone when the ILSAC standard was changing from SL to SM.

On the other hand, some store brand oils make the engines quieter than the name brands. The oils that have (placebo) seemed to make my engines quieter were...SEARS Spectrum 5W30 that I bought a couple of years ago on sale/rebate, and the PEAK 5W30 that I got in '09 at PB's FAR. Both made by WPP/WNE.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Jumping into this post late.

Most oils seem OK in all of my/our vehicles. I have noticed that Mobil 1 oils seem to make the engines seem a bit more audiable than what I have ever experienced. Not loud, just more noticeable. Made a laged score($1/qt)on Mobil 1 SL/GF-3 several years ago at AutoZone when the ILSAC standard was changing from SL to SM.

On the other hand, some store brand oils make the engines quieter than the name brands. The oils that have (placebo) seemed to make my engines quieter were...SEARS Spectrum 5W30 that I bought a couple of years ago on sale/rebate, and the PEAK 5W30 that I got in '09 at PB's FAR. Both made by WPP/WNE.

We also sell Spectrum at KMart.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

I find the same with TVs. The more i look at them, the more i say to myself, "I vastly prefer the reds, purples, and detail of this cheaper set to that expensive one. And it is a Zenith!" and so on, and so on. Never knew TV difference could be so drastic. Sound IS distinctive to each person. That said, old school Cerwin Vega Home Theatre speakers (remember them?) are going to be SUPERIOR to cheap, light, pine box Optimus speakers with 10 watts.
lol.gif

Same with Oil, except that some oil -sucks- 90% is FINE and the rest has High Fe issues.
27.gif

And some have books of proof that that is OK, and some say "No thanks, MY oil doesnt have Fe."

And both are correct.

coffee2.gif

If one is utilizing a $25 dollar Used Oil Analysis then the Fe count is misleading at best and you cannot base any oil decision on it. Short and sweet is the Fe count from a $25 UOA only counts certain size particles. You could have a report say you have Fe of 125ppm and your are fine. You could also have one that tells you the sample had 12ppm and your engine could be in big trouble as the analysis only counted certain sizes of Fe particles and missed the fine particles that reflect your motor is grinding itself to death.

My opinion, my 2000 Nissan Frontier:

Noisiest: Mobil One 5W-30 Synthetic (Makes a lot of engine noise all the time, that is why I changed to different brand(s))

Quietest: Everything else: Dino, Synthetic, Synthetic Blend, that is not Mobil One Synthetic.

The M1 5w20 in my Mazda has been very quiet. These engines have such high oil pressure it really doesn't seem to matter what oil is in there. Very smooth and quiet.

The Ford on the other hand can be picky. It seems loud/rough with fresh M1 5w30. Thats compared to RTS 5w40, so that is to be expected.

I have an old Kawasaki bike designed in the late 80s with the valves set ~15% looser than spec, and it clacks like a MOFO with Mobil 1. However, it is almost dead silent with Redline 20w-50! I literally sit on the engine so I can hear every little sound perfectly.

I've had a similar experience with Redline 0w-30 in my E46 323i

Redline FTW.

Quietest one was 5W30 Mobil 1 in a Honda 4. There was barely any piston slap and the lifters were very quiet at idle. It was also burning it so fast that I had to get rid of it after 1000 km. The 10W30 Rotella I have in there now makes more noise on startup but there's an additive in there with it

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Redline ftw! I wish I had some spare cash to order some 0w30 Redline for my winter run. Anyone know what the 0w30's HTHS spec is by chance?

Here are all specs for RL 0w30:-
API Service Class SM/SL/SG/CF
Viscosity Grade SAE 0W30
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 10.9
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 57
Viscosity Index 183
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @*C 56@-35
Pour Point, °C -60
Pour Point, °F -76
Flash Point, °C 218
Flash Point, °F 424
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % 9
HTHS Vis, cP @150°C, ASTM D4741 3.2

2005 Focus

QS green bottle 5w-20 is very quiet and smooth. Feels like the engine is off when approaching a stop sign or red light.

08 escape 2.3l have to look @ tach to be sure its running @ a stop, thanks to Castrol Edge 5w20, bosch d+ filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back