Copper 0.1
Aluminum 0.7
Tin 1.0
Lead 0.0
Silver 0.4

Just FYI, according to Pennzoil spec sheet:

Visc at 40C: 74.4 cSt
Visc at 100C: 13.1 cSt

Interesting that the lab provided viscosity index as well. I will ask them whether they actually tested it or just calculated it based on the two viscosities listed above.

I think sulfur is present in all oils. Most labs just don't provide this figure. For example, GC has about 2000 ppm of sulfur in it as well.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Boron is a LOT lower than I thought it would be.

That is the first thing I noticed...where is the Boron? All in all pretty good addy pack...pretty thick stuff.

BTW: Thank you for the analysis!!!

Last edited:
MANY thanks.

I think this confirms that Ultra Euro *IS* a bit different than Platinum Euro was, doesn't it?

Zinc, Calcium, and Phosphorus seemed lower on the Platinum version.

Just on paper, Mobil 1 0w40 with a bit more Boron and much more Moly, seems to still be very competitive. Plus much more available.

My Merc dealer has switched to this Ultra Euro 5w40 now though. If I'm ever lazy to haul in my own oil, I'd feel fully confident using this oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Interesting that the lab provided viscosity index as well. I will ask them whether they actually tested it or just calculated it based on the two viscosities listed above.

OK, so this is a calculated value (not sure if it's even possible to actually test it). When I plug the numbers into this calculator, I get 174.

It's part of the additive package. Zinc dithiophosphate. Thio means sulfur. You get two sulfur molecules for every one of Zn and P. It's also present at some level as a contaminate in base stocks refined from crude.

Ed

Thanks for sending it in for a VOA.

Doesn't the US 5W-20/30 have over 3000 PPM of Calicium? Wonder why the Euro has less?

Originally Posted By: edhackett
It's part of the additive package. Zinc dithiophosphate. Thio means sulfur. You get two sulfur molecules for every one of Zn and P. It's also present at some level as a contaminate in base stocks refined from crude.

Ed

OK, but what does it DO as an additive? Anti-wear?

Yes, part of the anti-wear.

Abstract

The solution breakdown of zddp's to zinc polyphosphates and mixed alkyl sulphides has been discussed. In this paper, their interaction with metal surfaces is pursued using esca. Zinc phosphate is demonstrated to arrive in the surface oxide layer of engine cams and tappets by physical adsorption and FeS is formed via the oxide layer and elemental sulphur generated from alkyl sulphides with Fe2O3. It is hypothesized that their presence there as fusible glassy compounds, phosporus as polyphosphate and iron sulphide as a ternary eutectic with iron oxide, provides the antiwear function of zddp

Ed

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Thanks for sending it in for a VOA.

Doesn't the US 5W-20/30 have over 3000 PPM of Calicium? Wonder why the Euro has less?

B/C Euro oils have to watch SA levels much more than NA oils, I think.

No problem guys. I was just as curious about this oil as you all.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I wonder if you could ask them about the viscosity. We're looking at an 11% deviation from nominal in this sample.

I asked them about this, and this is their response:

Quote:

Pete,

Published specifications are considered ‘typical’ values. Actual values can vary from batch to batch of oil. We do redundant testing on new oils, so yes, I am confident of our results.

Regards,

Doug Bogart
Laboratory Director
WearCheck USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back