Mobil 1 10w30 full syn, 7171 miles, 97 crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a uoa of a 1997 ford crown victoria. the car had 86,009 at time of change .6 months and 7171miles on oil. the car is in perfect running condition. didnt add any make up oil but At the time of change it was about a qt low in oil. motorcraft oil filter

the car is driven with good care. i drive it like a granny. i have went WOT 3 times since i brought the car in july with 78k miles. stay in texas so its pretty warm, but north texas does get 30F - 40F cold at times

Currently running German Castrol 0w30 With pureone oil filter. I’m try to push it between 12k and 15k and do a uoa

BlackStone Comments
KELVIN: What a great engine! This oil was in use 7,171 miles, but the viscosity didn't degrade and the oil didn't
overly oxidize (insolubles were low at 0.2%), so the oil held up really well. Universal averages show typical wear for
this engine type at 4,600 miles on the oil. Wear metals read low, which suggests no wear-related issues inside the
engine. The high silicon likely isn't dirt since wear is low, but check air filtration, just in case. It's probably from excess sealer or lube; both are harmless. The 2.7 TBN shows some active additive left (1.0 is too low). Use 9K next.

The Universal Averages are the second row of numers

Aluminum 4 3
Chromium 1 1
Iron 18 14
Copper 7 5
Lead 0 2
Tin 1 0
Molybdenum 93 62
Nickel 1 1
Manganese 0 2
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 1 1
Boron 45 56
Silicon 27 15
Sodium 11 21
Calcium 2551 2193
Magnesium 15 112
Phosphorus 675 702
Zinc 718 850
Barium 0 1

The second row of numbers are what they should be

Sus viscosity @210’F 62.2 / 58-68
Cst viscosity @ 100’C 10.84 / 9.7-12.7
Flashpoint in ‘F 425 / >365
Fuel% Antifreeze% 0.0 /0
Water % 0.0 /0
Insolubles % 0.2 / Tbn 2.7

Held grade, wear metals look very good for the interval, i would be pleased i'd say 10,000 is doable but maybe the limit.

yes check AF or replace,,welcome to the site and thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: daman
Held grade, wear metals look very good for the interval, i would be pleased i'd say 10,000 is doable but maybe the limit.

yes check AF or replace,,welcome to the site and thanks for posting!

thanks. i have found alot of helpful info on this site. i wanted to push it 10 but wanted to do a uoa first to see what i was working with

The averages are just that the average of the many UOAs the company gets and is a guidline. If you had 100 crown vics every engine would probably get different wear numbers "the old bell curve type of thingie". Then it would be a better idea to run an oil brand to get a better uoa result.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The averages are just that the average of the many UOAs the company gets and is a guidline. If you had 100 crown vics every engine would probably get different wear numbers "the old bell curve type of thingie". Then it would be a better idea to run an oil brand to get a better uoa result.

O ok. i hadnt looked at it that way. That makes good sense

I sold my 96 Merc GM with the 4.6 last year, and it was still running great with 218K. All on M1 10-30 at 10-11K OCIs. Engine remained very clean through the oil fill hole. I did one UOA on it, and my numbers were close to yours.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Had the same basic engine in my old 1997 TBird. How did your CV like the 10w30? Mine was a little picky, it seemed to prefer the 5w30, engine was much quieter on start up. Another oddity, it drank Castrol GTX like it was going out of style, but never used much Pennzoil or Valvoline.

With mine it used 1 qt every 6-7K with M1 10-30. Did that from day one to the day I sold it, 218K later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I sold my 96 Merc GM with the 4.6 last year, and it was still running great with 218K. All on M1 10-30 at 10-11K OCIs. Engine remained very clean through the oil fill hole. I did one UOA on it, and my numbers were close to yours.
welcome2.gif

Thats good to kmow. i plan on keeping this car for a long time

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
Had the same basic engine in my old 1997 TBird. How did your CV like the 10w30? Mine was a little picky, it seemed to prefer the 5w30, engine was much quieter on start up. Another oddity, it drank Castrol GTX like it was going out of style, but never used much Pennzoil or Valvoline.

it did well with the 10w30. i do notice however that it is smoother on start up with the GC 0w30.

Originally Posted By: tig1
With mine it used 1 qt every 6-7K with M1 10-30. Did that from day one to the day I sold it, 218K later.

Ok. that sounds about right with my car also. Was bout a qt low when i changed

Originally Posted By: DT466E_bus
Great report, and I love Fords!
welcome2.gif

sad to say i have always been against fords. i knew the made good cars but was a chevy man. when i found this car for $1800 bucks, i had to get it. lol. and i love how well it ride and perform

I wasn't much of a "Ford Guy" myself until I started maintaining a small fleet of CVPIs. They have more than earned my respect and are a great vehicle.

Your report looks excellent. You may be able to drop silicon some with a fresh air filter and a close gander at the intake plumbing but your metals look great.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
I wasn't much of a "Ford Guy" myself until I started maintaining a small fleet of CVPIs. They have more than earned my respect and are a great vehicle.

Your report looks excellent. You may be able to drop silicon some with a fresh air filter and a close gander at the intake plumbing but your metals look great.

i had a new air filter put in when i first went over to mobil 1. maybe it was because of the way the guy took the sample. i told him to wait til it was half way out. he barely unscrewed the screw and a tiny bit of the oil he got came off the side of the oil pan first. maybe .5oz. i stopped him and had him get the rest from the halfway point of the oil drain

whats a close gander

Originally Posted By: KJack

i had a new air filter put in when i first went over to mobil 1. maybe it was because of the way the guy took the sample. i told him to wait til it was half way out. he barely unscrewed the screw and a tiny bit of the oil he got came off the side of the oil pan first. maybe .5oz. i stopped him and had him get the rest from the halfway point of the oil drain

whats a close gander

That could easily have grabbed some dirt off the bottom of the pan, explaining it.

whats a close gander

Sorry-it means "a close look".

Yes, the sample method could certainly account for the silicon.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

whats a close gander

That could easily have grabbed some dirt off the bottom of the pan, explaining it.

Agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back